• Aug 22nd, 2019 7:50 pm
Banned
Nov 14, 2013
1701 posts
765 upvotes
Moncton
txenglan wrote:
May 25th, 2019 2:42 pm
I'm an Android enthusiast. I tinker, I play with custom ROMs all the time and I'm highly technical. When most people talk about performance degradation from "aging", they've yet again convinced themselves that something new will be noticibly better when in fact they simply don't understand how Android works. All Android phones will get bogged down over time. Especially if you're not using something close to stock Android. Any budget phone from the last few years will run just about any app just as well as any "flagship" phone unless you've been running it for ages without a clean reset. As I said, ironically, it's often people who aren't technical/knowledgable about Android who think expensive phones are a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

This guy nails it:
Im not sure how what you said is relevant to what I just said. Over time apps get more demanding, websites get more demanding, streaming services use new codecs and provide better quality. A slower phone is going to have a harder time keeping up when this happens, only common sense. I dont like to say im highly technical since there is so much I dont know, but Im a developer and have worked with android apps before. As a developer we are only going to test with a few more recent devices most of the time, thats just the way it is.

On your topic, even the pixel series gets seriously bogged down, paying more doesn’t always fix the problem of having to wipe android all the time to keep performance up. Ive found for some devices even wiping wont do much good after a while, the hardware itself seems to degrade on many devices with no relation to price.

In the android world many mid range phones have the same soc as the expensive ones, you just give up all the bells and whistles. So if its the same soc its pretty much the same performance. Similar to the iPhone Xr vs iPhone Xs if that's easier to understand for some people. Im not sure why most people have no clue about socs, it seems kind of strange to me since they are the most important part of any phone. Many people have some general idea about pc specs, but they seem to know much less about phone specs.

in the video he talks about the nokia 7 plus, which has an ok soc that wouldnt be good enough for me, but maybe it is for you and many others. I cant really tell you how much power you should buy unless I know what you want to do with your phone.

Also do your own research, dont trust some YouTube guy making a video just for lots of hits. He probably got a few bucks from Nokia to make this video, it sounds more like pr than an informative video and youtube is full of this kind of undisclosed advertising. There is no substance here other than making people who bought mid range phones feel good about themselves, just look at them down in the comments thinking they are so great because they didnt buy an iPhone or Samsung phone. Some people actually said samsung was known for having better specs than apple, which has never happened.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2003
2877 posts
830 upvotes
glib wrote:
May 25th, 2019 3:15 pm
Couldn't agree more. Have had a OP5T, and with a kernel update now and again and the odd firmware update (or depending on phone, custom ROM update), aging or apps/websites getting slower is certainly never an issue. I consider myself a heavy user and have learnt how to optimize my phone. Only reason I upgraded my op3t was because I wanted a better screen, but software and internal hardware were never bottlenecks.
Agreed. The OP5T is a fantastic phone that still has more than enough power to run anything a "power user" would want. As you point out, apps and websites don't make things "slower" in any noticeable way unless you're comparing devices from entirely different generations (in years). Optimization is really important too, yes. Over a year ago, I had concluded my V20 was becoming "old" and "bogged down" but ended up finding out that the sluggishness that had been bothering me was being caused by a log getting hammered by something turned on in the custom ROM I installed. Turned off the offender using root and presto - the phone ran like new.
KevinC268 wrote:
May 25th, 2019 3:40 pm
Im not sure how what you said is relevant to what I just said. Over time apps get more demanding, websites get more demanding, streaming services use new codecs and provide better quality. A slower phone is going to have a harder time keeping up when this happens, only common sense. I dont like to say im highly technical since there is so much I dont know, but Im a developer and have worked with android apps before. As a developer we are only going to test with a few more recent devices most of the time, thats just the way it is.

On your topic, even the pixel series gets seriously bogged down, paying more doesn’t always fix the problem of having to wipe android all the time to keep performance up. Ive found for some devices even wiping wont do much good after a while, the hardware itself seems to degrade on many devices with no relation to price.

In the android world many mid range phones have the same soc as the expensive ones, you just give up all the bells and whistles. So if its the same soc its pretty much the same performance. Similar to the iPhone Xr vs iPhone Xs if that's easier to understand for some people. Im not sure why most people have no clue about socs, it seems kind of strange to me since they are the most important part of any phone. Many people have some general idea about pc specs, but they seem to know much less about phone specs.

in the video he talks about the nokia 7 plus, which has an ok soc that wouldnt be good enough for me, but maybe it is for you and many others. I cant really tell you how much power you should buy unless I know what you want to do with your phone.

Also do your own research, dont trust some YouTube guy making a video just for lots of hits. He probably got a few bucks from Nokia to make this video, it sounds more like pr than an informative video and youtube is full of this kind of undisclosed advertising. There is no substance here other than making people who bought mid range phones feel good about themselves, just look at them down in the comments thinking they are so great because they didnt buy an iPhone or Samsung phone. Some people actually said samsung was known for having better specs than apple, which has never happened.
I've never owned a Pixel so hard for me to comment on that. That said, I would say that even the last generation Pixel should have enough power to do just about anything the average user would want to do without being noticeably slower than a 2019 "flagship". As I said before, games would generally be the only exception. Would you tend to agree that the vast majority of people reading this thread are normal users not "power users"? For the sake of impeccable analogy, by "normal" users let's call them the Honda Civic drivers and let's call power users the ones that drive Corvettes.

By "highly technical", I'm saying that I work in a related discipline and/or that I'm an enthusiast - which I am. If you're a developer, I'd consider you to be highly technical as well since I assume you do it for a living.

At no point did I get the impression that the guy in the video I posted was shilling for Nokia. To me, the Nokia was just a placeholder for any mid-range phone. I posted that video because it simply represents a gradual change of attitude by much of the Android enthusiast community. As a developer, you've presumably spent quite a lot of time over at XDA, in which case, nothing he said in the video should come as a surprise. I agree that the video was a bit light on content but on the other hand, it did touch on some of the main salient, general points specific to my argument that mid-range phones represent the value sweet spot. I'm still using my A1 as a daily driver and although I sometimes think something "sexier" would be nice to own, I know that I'll have to wait for awhile to be truly impressed by another phone. I have 7 different phones on my desk right now, 4 of which are various flagship models from previous years (say 2015-2018) yet I still choose to use the A1 as it is basically as good as (and sometimes much better than) any of them in all ways that matter.
Images
  • mi a1 vs mi 9.jpg
Dec 24, 2011
270 posts
71 upvotes
New Westminster
Duties or taxes when using aliexpress for this phone?

Is there any real difference for the Global ROM and Global Version? Bands LTE (fido rogers etc)
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 19, 2008
13020 posts
3129 upvotes
London
blueworm123 wrote:
May 26th, 2019 4:38 am
Duties or taxes when using aliexpress for this phone?

Is there any real difference for the Global ROM and Global Version? Bands LTE (fido rogers etc)
If you have it shipped post there probably won't be. If you have it shipped DHL you almost certainly will

I've never noticed a difference between the two
Aug 12, 2015
178 posts
85 upvotes
Concord, ON
Viper98 wrote:
May 26th, 2019 10:24 am
For people that want budget phones the 128gb Mi 9 Se is $450

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3300586 ... 29145d1438

Snapdragon 712
AMOLED screen
Same camera setup as the Mi 9
While both phones use the same 48 MP Sony IMX586 sensor and the front camera sensor, the other ones are quite different. Here is a camera comparison of Mi9 and Mi9 SE. To my eyes, they look very similar. Battery is a bit small though. Would be nice if Mi9 were 4000mah and Mi9 SE were 3500mah.
Images
  • xiaomi.PNG
Jan 7, 2014
801 posts
230 upvotes
calgary
aliexpress dont take paypal right?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 19, 2008
13020 posts
3129 upvotes
London
reflame wrote:
May 27th, 2019 10:16 am
$770 all in including one year warranty (taxes included only until until May 31). Canadian company.
$35 shipping on top of that
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2003
6104 posts
1050 upvotes
Viper98 wrote:
May 26th, 2019 10:24 am
For people that want budget phones the 128gb Mi 9 Se is $450

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3300586 ... 29145d1438

Snapdragon 712
AMOLED screen
Same camera setup as the Mi 9
Buyers might want to double check the FDD LTE bands before buying - 4G: FDD-LTE B1/2/3/4/5/7/8/20/28

Personally I'd recommend staying with Mi9 for much better LTE support. I believe Mi8 SE was in the same situation with lesser supported bands as well.
Deal Addict
Apr 20, 2005
1093 posts
347 upvotes
cy wrote:
May 27th, 2019 11:54 am
Buyers might want to double check the FDD LTE bands before buying - 4G: FDD-LTE B1/2/3/4/5/7/8/20/28

Personally I'd recommend staying with Mi9 for much better LTE support. I believe Mi8 SE was in the same situation with lesser supported bands as well.
Agreed, makes sense. Mi 9 Global Version adds Band 12, while Mi 9 Chinese Version with Global ROM adds both Bands 12 and 17.

Easy way to see the bands and Canadian carrier compatibility here: https://www.kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy ... i-9-global
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2007
1985 posts
1313 upvotes
Ottawa
Can we get a mod in here to clean up all the bickering about midrange phones vs high end phones; premium vs chinese phones; and all other nonsense not related to the deal? This is not the place to be talking about that. Take it to the Cellphone discussion section.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 19, 2008
13020 posts
3129 upvotes
London
blyndfyre wrote:
May 27th, 2019 3:28 pm
$739 Amazon 128GB
Is it worth spending a $200 premium to have the ability to return it for a month (still no warranty in Canada)
Jul 22, 2014
690 posts
1222 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Viper98 wrote:
May 27th, 2019 3:32 pm
Is it worth spending a $200 premium to have the ability to return it for a month (still no warranty in Canada)
Not sure how you are getting $200 more?