• Last Updated:
  • Aug 8th, 2019 2:30 pm
Feb 28, 2015
593 posts
140 upvotes
Montreal, QC
r1lee wrote:
Jul 20th, 2019 7:15 am

If your worried about battery, don't get the 1p7.
Well, 1+7 has a bigger capacity than a 1+6, so I think i can manage. Battery wise it seems like 1+7 > mi9.
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2012
1907 posts
908 upvotes
Toronto
nahsha wrote:
Jul 20th, 2019 8:16 am
Well, 1+7 has a bigger capacity than a 1+6, so I think i can manage. Battery wise it seems like 1+7 > mi9.
Check out GSM arena, OP7 (non-pro) battery is just as good as the p30 pro and that thing was a battery king.
Feb 28, 2015
593 posts
140 upvotes
Montreal, QC
zobi123 wrote:
Jul 20th, 2019 8:19 am
Check out GSM arena, OP7 (non-pro) battery is just as good as the p30 pro and that thing was a battery king.
Will do, can you comment from personal experience? so far so good?
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2012
1907 posts
908 upvotes
Toronto
nahsha wrote:
Jul 20th, 2019 8:22 am
Will do, can you comment from personal experience? so far so good?
Yup, amazing so far. You will not be disappointed.
You can check out my first impressions on the OP7 deal thread.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
8365 posts
624 upvotes
nahsha wrote:
Jul 20th, 2019 8:16 am
Just YouTube it, lots of battery drain test. Mr. Whostheboss has some. The mi9 isn't great, but neither are the 1p7 and 7pro. Trust me, I have the phone and it's nowhere close to my wife's p30 pro.

These are the phones that I have, the mi9, 1+7pro, p30 pro. I'm not comparing theoretical, since I can compare all 3 phones here.
Jul 17, 2018
260 posts
224 upvotes
I average 6 hours SOT and I'm a heavy user so the battery is great for me. Obviously compared to a pixel 3a or lower end CPU it's nowhere near as good, but people make it sound like the mi9 battery barely lasts
Jan 1, 2019
46 posts
23 upvotes
goofball wrote:
Jul 20th, 2019 6:56 am
Don't buy this phone if you want to use with Freedom, it's missing Band 66 for LTE.

Yes, you always want the Global version and not the Global ROM (which is usually a chinese variant loaded with the global rom).

No, you can't just get more LTE bands by flashing a different ROM. It's mostly a hardware thing.
Could you recommend another carrier (besides the Big 3) that would be compatible with the Mi 9?

Why do some people on here prefer the Global Rom then? That's honestly the most confusing part to me.

And thanks for replying so quick.
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
12027 posts
1525 upvotes
Kanata
sasamac wrote:
Jul 20th, 2019 8:37 pm
Could you recommend another carrier (besides the Big 3) that would be compatible with the Mi 9?

Why do some people on here prefer the Global Rom then? That's honestly the most confusing part to me.

And thanks for replying so quick.
Global ROM is what is installed on the global versions. I don't know for certain why people would go for the China version with Global ROM, perhaps their carrier is supported and it is cheaper to get the China version.
Global version is compatible with Rogers/Telus/Bell/Videotron and the flanker brands (Fido/Virgin Mobile/Koodo/Fizz/Public Mobile/Lucky Mobile)
Sep 7, 2006
611 posts
273 upvotes
SynGamer wrote:
Jul 20th, 2019 7:07 am
I have an S8 and my contract is up in 2 months. Is the Mi 9 worth keeping an eye on, or is it expected there will be something better put in September?

My major upgrade focus is better camera (including night shots), better battery, and preferably more stock Android.
You pretty much just asked for a pixel 3a
Jun 18, 2019
61 posts
20 upvotes
sasamac wrote:
Jul 20th, 2019 2:37 am
I'm so glad I found this forum. Can someone guide me?

Looking to purchase the Mi 9, but am confused about LTE bands + importance of Global version or Rom in Canada --- mainly Ontario.

I'm with Freedom. I live in Toronto and will be in London often. I understand that the Global Version is compatible with the following FDD LTE B: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12,17*, 20, 28, 38, 39, 40

1) Does not support the new bands 13 and 66 that Freedom has
Is this a smart purchase (ie. "future-proof") or should I look into another phone that supports the Canadian market? Advice on other carriers are welcome too!

2a) Global Version vs Rom
Don't Global Versions support more LTE bands than regular Chinese versions? What's the difference that is making some people in this forum prefer the Global Rom instead?

2b) Is this why? Global Rom includes band 17
Is this a game-changer? Can this be achieved through purchasing the Global version + flashing the rom or is this ... just dumb?
So band 17 is used by some carriers here so some preferred to get the global rom to get extra coverage but if you actually scroll through the thread most people got the global version and used it with a variety of carriers and noticed no difference in signal quality, indoors and out.

Someone actually bought this to use with freedom and noticed no difference, those bands might or might not even be used in the area you're trying to use the phone in so you might not even notice any difference.

There's another thread that links a few sites to plug in the phone and network to show how much coverage you have with the two.
Jan 1, 2019
46 posts
23 upvotes
bandwagonhopper wrote:
Jul 21st, 2019 11:12 am
So band 17 is used by some carriers here so some preferred to get the global rom to get extra coverage but if you actually scroll through the thread most people got the global version and used it with a variety of carriers and noticed no difference in signal quality, indoors and out.

Someone actually bought this to use with freedom and noticed no difference, those bands might or might not even be used in the area you're trying to use the phone in so you might not even notice any difference.

There's another thread that links a few sites to plug in the phone and network to show how much coverage you have with the two. (Thanks for the help)
I'm new to this whole band thing. So when I read through the thread, I was extremely confused as to why some people here had preference for the Global ROM as opposed to the Global version. Thanks for clearing that up. Now I understand that the one extra band can effect their compatiblity with carriers or it could be for cheaper pricing.

From what I've gathered, Freedom is the one of the lesser suitable carriers to pair with Mi 9. For the people who aren't experiencing any issues, do you think it's an off-case or just that they won't be experiencing any issues for now (considering that bands 13 and 66 are not supported)?

Can you share the link to the other thread? I'm 100% complicating this thread with personal questions. (Thanks again for the help)
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 19, 2008
12974 posts
3099 upvotes
London
IceCreamGee wrote:
Jul 20th, 2019 10:12 pm
You pretty much just asked for a pixel 3a
Except the 3a is worse than the s8 in almost every way
Jul 17, 2018
260 posts
224 upvotes
Viper98 wrote:
Jul 21st, 2019 2:14 pm
Except the 3a is worse than the s8 in almost every way
Nah I had an s8 and gave it a friend and bought my 3a. The 3a just works plain and simple with no issues. Far nicer to use than the s8. Literally no phone will compare to the 3a for battery and camera usage at the price.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 19, 2008
12974 posts
3099 upvotes
London
BuyNowAndThinkLater wrote:
Jul 21st, 2019 2:36 pm
Nah I had an s8 and gave it a friend and bought my 3a. The 3a just works plain and simple with no issues. Far nicer to use than the s8. Literally no phone will compare to the 3a for battery and camera usage at the price.
The camera is ok at best

Running GCam on the S8 will yield better photos than any pixel phone
Jul 17, 2018
260 posts
224 upvotes
Viper98 wrote:
Jul 21st, 2019 2:46 pm
The camera is ok at best

Running GCam on the S8 will yield better photos than any pixel phone
Lol you couldn't be more wrong