Computers & Electronics

Aliant offering upgrades to Siemens SpeedStream 6520. Should I?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 9th, 2006 8:43 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2004
4154 posts
119 upvotes

Aliant offering upgrades to Siemens SpeedStream 6520. Should I?

I am wondering if anyone has had any experience with the Router/Wireless Gateway: Siemens SpeedStream 6520.

Aliant (basically Bell for the maritimes) has begun to ship these for new customers but will also upgrade your older DSL modem to this for free. It would be nice to get this and have the ability to go wireless without buying a wireless router. I have an almost 3 year old comtrend modem.

Has anyone got any experience with these units? Should I get the upgrade regardless. I plan to use mainly wired internet with very occasional use of the wireless.
7 replies
May 21, 2006
20 posts
Toronto
I have this exact model for my Bell service here in Ontario. I like how it's a modem/router at the same time, and I don't need to get a separate router to connect my 4 computers to the Internet. Wireless is also pretty nice.

I never had any problems with this modem so far.

So I'd say if they're offering it to you for free you should got for it.
Oct 13, 2001
434 posts
14 upvotes
Fredericton
Aliant has had quality issues with these units but if/when you get one that works go for it; it is free afterall. If you have the black Comtrend it will be an upgrade but the white CT-301 is probably just as good if you already have your own router.

Aliant support is telling customers the 26 character WEP key they typically setup is secure and cannot be cracked so WPA is not needed. I quess that is not covered in the manual you can hear them flipping through when you call. :D
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2003
2438 posts
56 upvotes
IMO buy a wireless router from Futureshop or another store. The firmware on the 6520 is crippled and if you want to increase wireless range, the antennas cannot be removed or replaced.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2004
4154 posts
119 upvotes
dirk wrote:
Dec 5th, 2006 7:11 pm
Aliant has had quality issues with these units but if/when you get one that works go for it; it is free afterall. If you have the black Comtrend it will be an upgrade but the white CT-301 is probably just as good if you already have your own router.

Aliant support is telling customers the 26 character WEP key they typically setup is secure and cannot be cracked so WPA is not needed. I quess that is not covered in the manual you can hear them flipping through when you call. :D
I just got it delivered today. Yes I did have the black (older) comtrend. So far, no slowdowns on P2P. I did have some difficulty setting it up, mainly due to the dumb settings. They are dumbed down by Aliant for the computer n00b. However the CSR didn't have a clue about the WPA-SK encryption and insisted that I use the WEP 128bit. Yea ok!! But this does support WPA-SK with the AES algorithm.
mlerner wrote:
Dec 5th, 2006 7:26 pm
IMO buy a wireless router from Futureshop or another store. The firmware on the 6520 is crippled and if you want to increase wireless range, the antennas cannot be removed or replaced.
I really don't need the wireless which is why i never really bought a wireless router in the first place. Its just nice to have for the very occasional use. This way I figured I had nothing to lose since I basically got wireless connectivity for free (I am the only user. The wireless is nice when I use my work laptop at home sometimes).
Oct 13, 2001
434 posts
14 upvotes
Fredericton
I cannot remember the actual options as I do not have the 6520 but it does support WPA. Did they give you the admin password? admin/admin perhaps?

EDIT: Appearantly the 6520 does not support WPA, WEP only.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2004
4154 posts
119 upvotes
dirk wrote:
Dec 5th, 2006 11:35 pm
I cannot remember the actual options as I do not have the 6520 but it does support WPA. Did they give you the admin password? admin/admin perhaps?

EDIT: Appearantly the 6520 does not support WPA, WEP only.
Well, I don;t know what to tell you. But I am running it as we speak with WPA enabled. However even though it says its capable of both AES and TKIP, I can only get the latter to work.
Oct 13, 2001
434 posts
14 upvotes
Fredericton
I'm sure you are correct. I was talking with an Aliant rep that told me "No, these units do not support WPA". For future reference it's good to hear it does. Thanks
porphyra wrote:
Dec 8th, 2006 1:41 pm
Well, I don;t know what to tell you. But I am running it as we speak with WPA enabled. However even though it says its capable of both AES and TKIP, I can only get the latter to work.
× < >