Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2007
1528 posts
134 upvotes
BobSagget wrote:
Apr 8th, 2014 6:51 pm
It comes with a 4ft USB/Car adapter cable.

Which depending on your vehicle should be enough to do a setup like this:

Hi Bob,

How did you get the cable to stay in place? tape? Looks like you got a Merc, so I'm curious as to how you'd manage to keep it having a clean look.

Thanks!
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2012
2774 posts
779 upvotes
I actually do not (personally) like how CamCarCentral did it. Here is mine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0luWnMdeda0

0 tape / adhesive / clips required. Once you get the cable to the A pillar, it should stay put and not fall out of the headliner. Hiding the cable under the floor mats was a better idea too. BMWs have an outlet under the glovebox which is more stealth.
Deal Addict
May 14, 2012
2585 posts
312 upvotes
Ontario
Where is everyone buying theirs from?
Deal Guru
Jan 17, 2009
13687 posts
16346 upvotes
VIIVIIIXIII wrote:
Apr 11th, 2014 4:53 am
I actually do not (personally) like how CamCarCentral did it. Here is mine:

0 tape / adhesive / clips required. Once you get the cable to the A pillar, it should stay put and not fall out of the headliner. Hiding the cable under the floor mats was a better idea too. BMWs have an outlet under the glovebox which is more stealth.
Ya I didn't use any tape/adhesive/clips either.

I was able to tuck the usb cable under the liner on the roof and then feed it along the top and down the A-pillar. From there it's hidden in a crack in the dash where the two parts come together. Then down behind the weather stripping by the door. From there it goes under the floor mat and into the lighter socket.

It looks almost exactly the same as the picture above. The only part that is visible is the few inches where the cable connects from the camera to the roof.

Edit: I just watched the video you linked. I should have just watched it first instead of explaining. Because it 99% the same set up, lol.
Jul 1, 2008
309 posts
55 upvotes
Can I have this on all the time or will it kill my battery? Seems like the motion sensor would be a good feature. I wish it could record inside the car as well in case someone broke in.
Deal Guru
Jan 17, 2009
13687 posts
16346 upvotes
superskid wrote:
Apr 11th, 2014 5:12 am
Can I have this on all the time or will it kill my battery? Seems like the motion sensor would be a good feature. I wish it could record inside the car as well in case someone broke in.
get a second one and point it towards the inside? although if someone is going to break in they're surely going to steal the camera.
Jul 1, 2008
309 posts
55 upvotes
BobSagget wrote:
Apr 11th, 2014 5:16 am
get a second one and point it towards the inside? although if someone is going to break in they're surely going to steal the camera.
Maybe, but I would say a quick smash and grab might not look up under the mirror. Not going to buy a second one for this. Any thoughts on the battery part of my question? Will this kill my battery if I leave it connected to constant power? It looks like the motion sensor would turn it off and only on when it senses motion.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2010
14299 posts
1970 upvotes
Toronto
superskid wrote:
Apr 11th, 2014 5:23 am
Maybe, but I would say a quick smash and grab might not look up under the mirror. Not going to buy a second one for this. Any thoughts on the battery part of my question? Will this kill my battery if I leave it connected to constant power? It looks like the motion sensor would turn it off and only on when it senses motion.
You'll need the following device to prevent the camera from killing your vehicle's battery. It shuts off power to your camera when the car's battery voltage is too dangerously low.

http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?nav= ... 1097320558
Jul 1, 2008
309 posts
55 upvotes
wilsonlam97 wrote:
Apr 11th, 2014 5:34 am
You'll need the following device to prevent the camera from killing your vehicle's battery. It shuts off power to your camera when the car's battery voltage is too dangerously low.

http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?nav= ... 1097320558
Am I better just going to switched power and letting the battery in the camera look after recording on motion sensor mode?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2010
14299 posts
1970 upvotes
Toronto
superskid wrote:
Apr 11th, 2014 5:38 am
Am I better just going to switched power and letting the battery in the camera look after recording on motion sensor mode?
The motion sensor simply controls whether or not the footage is being captured to the card. The camera still remains on and you save no power.

The internal battery will only last 5-10 minutes so good luck with that. Car DVRs are really for recording vehicle collisions and are impractical for incidents that occur while the vehicle is parked.
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
11973 posts
1055 upvotes
Toronto
There's a lot of confusion in this thread with regards to the wiring technique. I'm going to make a video later in the day to show how I wired a dash cam in one of my vehicles. Stay tuned.
× < >