• Aug 14th, 2017 2:57 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2012
1175 posts
446 upvotes
Ottawa

Aliexpress & DHL & Customs, Fees?

I'm getting a tablet, total comes to $250 and will be shipping via DHL.

What are the chances of me paying extra for Customs, fees, brokerage? I have seen few Canadian buyers in the reviews of the product and they're pretty happy.
10 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2012
1175 posts
446 upvotes
Ottawa
No one bought a tablet from china before?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
7022 posts
2907 upvotes
Victoria, BC
WellHung wrote: What are the chances of me paying extra for Customs, fees, brokerage?
100% chance that you will pay:
- about $33 in HST
- at least $14 in DHL brokerage
- $0 duty

This assume that you paid $250 Cdn. (not USD) and that no tax or brokerage was already included.
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
2699 posts
442 upvotes
Toronto
Message the AE seller and tell him to declare it lower. Most will do it.

My last package with an AE seller was 800$ worth of good, declared at 200US.

If I remember correctly the DHL charge as follows

200US to cad = 255cad, it was HST on 255 = 33.15$ + $20 process fee + hst on that = $55.75

No duty on electronics ..
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
21223 posts
6990 upvotes
GTA
Don't forget that if they declare it lower, and it gets lost...it's a risk but it shouldn't be ignored.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
2896 posts
2234 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
AzNCrAzYcOoLeR wrote: Message the AE seller and tell him to declare it lower. Most will do it.

My last package with an AE seller was 800$ worth of good, declared at 200US.

If I remember correctly the DHL charge as follows

200US to cad = 255cad, it was HST on 255 = 33.15$ + $20 process fee + hst on that = $55.75

Be aware that if Customs feels the value is too low they can have you attend and show sales invoices, etc showing the lower price at time of purchase. They do have the ability to determine actual value and if they feel that you are actively trying to avoid taxes, etc you can be penalized.
#1 - “Don’t irritate old people. The older they get, the less “Life in prison” is a deterrent."
#2 - Are you a Sexual Intellect? /S - What you post in this thread may determine that.
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2010
4475 posts
811 upvotes
I ordered one of the vacuum robots, price was around $400 CAD and DHL has it in transit in Canada now. I was asked to pay $21 to release it, so not too bad I guess.

I'm going to pick it up myself though, they already claim to have made 1 attempt to deliver it which never happened because I was home at the time, so I'm guessing they were trying to deliver it somewhere else so I figure might as well pick it up and avoid and problems.
I live in a new neighbourhood, the shipper already told me before that DHL doesn't have my address in their system, so I had to give them a print screen from Canada Post as proof that it does exist.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
7022 posts
2907 upvotes
Victoria, BC
AzNCrAzYcOoLeR wrote:
Not entirely true.

There is duty on televisions. But not on computers, phones and most other electronic devices.
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
2699 posts
442 upvotes
Toronto
rcmpvet wrote: Be aware that if Customs feels the value is too low they can have you attend and show sales invoices, etc showing the lower price at time of purchase. They do have the ability to determine actual value and if they feel that you are actively trying to avoid taxes, etc you can be penalized.
I'm aware of the repercussions associated with under declaring.
macnut wrote:
Not entirely true.

There is duty on televisions. But not on computers, phones and most other electronic devices.
True, however can't Televisions pass off as computer monitors? I guess the coax input is the deciding factor?
Mar 20, 2016
642 posts
673 upvotes
Vancouver
rcmpvet wrote: Be aware that if Customs feels the value is too low they can have you attend and show sales invoices, etc showing the lower price at time of purchase. They do have the ability to determine actual value and if they feel that you are actively trying to avoid taxes, etc you can be penalized.
I've only seen UPS do this. I bought a used heatsink, they opened it and changed the value to that of a *new* one.
But then again I wouldn't request a ridiculous value like <$20 for a huge package.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)