Black Friday & Cyber Monday Deals 2018

Lenovo Phones 5% to 27% Off through AliExpress

  • Last Updated:
  • Nov 28th, 2018 5:19 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Sr. Member
User avatar
Nov 23, 2015
710 posts
395 upvotes
Winnipeg

Lenovo Phones 5% to 27% Off through AliExpress

If I hadn't just pulled the trigger on a Samsung Galaxy S9 with Telus I think I would have been buying one of these. Pretty impressive lineup of mid range phones at great prices ranging from US$78-195 with several in between.

https://lenovo.aliexpress.com/store/900 ... 268ewvtDob

The S5 looks like it's really in the sweet spot at US$126 with these specs:
Snapdragon 625 Octa Core 2.0Ghz
4GB RAM 64GB ROM
Dual Rear 13MP + Front 16MP
Face ID
18:9 Full Screen 4K Video 5.7 inch 2160*1080 pixels

I feel like I missed out by not getting one of these before signing up for two years with Telus, but I thought I'd post it here in case it's of interest to anyone else.
Last edited by TomRFD on Nov 22nd, 2018 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited retailer
31 replies
Newbie
Dec 8, 2009
36 posts
3 upvotes
I had never heard about these Lenovo phones before.. Any idea if they are good/comparable to the standard options we get in north America? Given the prices I assume they are maybe cheaper quality, but if you are the type of person to often lose or damage phones, this could be a much cheaper no contract option to replace.

I am still running a galaxy s6 that is in essentially perfect physical condition, and seems fast enough for my needs with a phone. My contract has been up since summer and I am paying month to month with the same plan. One of the main reasons I haven't updated my phone is because I do not want to have to sign on to some shittier new contract. It seems like they get more expensive every year along with reducing features (for the more affordable plans). On top of it they now seem to try to hide the pricing in additional monthly payments for hardware... Phone contracts just keep getting more annoying in my opinion.

My current plan was to ride this phone out until it dies or gets damaged/lost, then look into my options. Or perhaps call my provider (SaskTel) and try to get them to give me a new phone on a deal comparable to their new contract deals, but keeping my same contract and me just committing to it for another 2 years. Perhaps threatening to take my business elsewhere and seeing what customer retentions could maybe do.

But if these phones are decent, these provide a very decent option for upgrading the phone and keeping my same plan month to month, while not breaking the bank.
[OP]
Sr. Member
User avatar
Nov 23, 2015
710 posts
395 upvotes
Winnipeg
ggpr wrote:
Nov 21st, 2018 11:57 am
I had never heard about these Lenovo phones before.. Any idea if they are good/comparable to the standard options we get in north America? Given the prices I assume they are maybe cheaper quality, but if you are the type of person to often lose or damage phones, this could be a much cheaper no contract option to replace.

I am still running a galaxy s6 that is in essentially perfect physical condition, and seems fast enough for my needs with a phone. My contract has been up since summer and I am paying month to month with the same plan. One of the main reasons I haven't updated my phone is because I do not want to have to sign on to some shittier new contract. It seems like they get more expensive every year along with reducing features (for the more affordable plans). On top of it they now seem to try to hide the pricing in additional monthly payments for hardware... Phone contracts just keep getting more annoying in my opinion.

My current plan was to ride this phone out until it dies or gets damaged/lost, then look into my options. Or perhaps call my provider (SaskTel) and try to get them to give me a new phone on a deal comparable to their new contract deals, but keeping my same contract and me just committing to it for another 2 years. Perhaps threatening to take my business elsewhere and seeing what customer retentions could maybe do.

But if these phones are decent, these provide a very decent option for upgrading the phone and keeping my same plan month to month, while not breaking the bank.
I have to admit I am a little leery when it comes to lesser known Chinese brands, but Lenovo strikes me as a bit different given that they own Motorola and by extension, the Moto series of phones. I used to own one of the early Moto G models and it was an exceptionally good deal for its time... well made with really solid midrange performance at a very low price. The only drawback was that I had the 8GB storage version which as you can understand doesn't leave much room for anything beyond Android itself. I ended up getting rid of it when I signed on to Zoomer and got a Huawei GR5.

I will say, if these Lenovo phones are anything like the Moto series, then they should be pretty good. On paper they certainly look impressive in terms of specs for the dollar. I haven't checked them for compatibility with specific Canadian networks, so of course that is something that would have to be done before ordering.
Jr. Member
Mar 17, 2008
182 posts
32 upvotes
Ontario
Anyone actually ordered one of these?

I was tempted, but then saw that delivery could be quite long.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 28, 2013
16663 posts
6521 upvotes
Oakville
Delivery will take a long time for sure, with the Canada Post rolling strikes right now.

As far as Lenovo phones? I had a K3 Note back in 2015, and it was actually a great phone. I was pleasantly surprised as most of the other Chinese phones I'd used were pretty crap. Having said that - the headphone jack died something like 8 months into owning the phone. So not the build quality.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 29, 2014
1757 posts
1171 upvotes
Laputa
ggpr wrote:
Nov 21st, 2018 11:57 am
I had never heard about these Lenovo phones before.. Any idea if they are good/comparable to the standard options we get in north America? Given the prices I assume they are maybe cheaper quality, but if you are the type of person to often lose or damage phones, this could be a much cheaper no contract option to replace.

I am still running a galaxy s6 that is in essentially perfect physical condition, and seems fast enough for my needs with a phone. My contract has been up since summer and I am paying month to month with the same plan. One of the main reasons I haven't updated my phone is because I do not want to have to sign on to some shittier new contract. It seems like they get more expensive every year along with reducing features (for the more affordable plans). On top of it they now seem to try to hide the pricing in additional monthly payments for hardware... Phone contracts just keep getting more annoying in my opinion.

My current plan was to ride this phone out until it dies or gets damaged/lost, then look into my options. Or perhaps call my provider (SaskTel) and try to get them to give me a new phone on a deal comparable to their new contract deals, but keeping my same contract and me just committing to it for another 2 years. Perhaps threatening to take my business elsewhere and seeing what customer retentions could maybe do.

But if these phones are decent, these provide a very decent option for upgrading the phone and keeping my same plan month to month, while not breaking the bank.
Not recommended, even in China.
Because the Ads they posted was trying to compare with iPhone when it was released, people are all laughing about it.

but, nothing particularly bad, also nothing special. For this price, don't need to worry too much. That's the regular price in China after discount.
Last edited by Millenniunn on Nov 21st, 2018 2:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Thx OP, bought 10! :facepalm:
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 29, 2014
1757 posts
1171 upvotes
Laputa
56kbps wrote:
Nov 21st, 2018 2:36 pm
Why?
Updated.


In China, Z5 = ¥1299 = C$ 248.54 = C$ 187.52
Thx OP, bought 10! :facepalm:
[OP]
Sr. Member
User avatar
Nov 23, 2015
710 posts
395 upvotes
Winnipeg
Millenniunn wrote:
Nov 21st, 2018 2:30 pm
Not recommended, even in China.
Because the Ads they posted was trying to compare with iPhone when it was released, people are all laughing about it.

but, nothing particularly bad, also nothing special. For this price, don't need to worry too much. That's the regular price in China after discount.
I agree that comparing anything but maybe the small handful of big name flagships to iPhone is a joke. I would never expect these to hold their own against an iPhone.

But looking at the specs, they still look way better than anything I could find locally for that price. They strike me as a good midranger - for someone like me who doesn't really need flagship specs but needs at least bit more than a very basic entry level phone like Samsung J3, LG K4, etc. Had I known about these yesterday I definitely would have opted to buy one and do a BYOD deal instead of signing a contract.

Shipping is an understandable deal breaker for some, though. But considering I could pay for expedited shipping for the random $1 cases I bought for my S9 on AliExpress, I find it very odd that there is no expedited shipping option for these Lenovo phones.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 29, 2014
1757 posts
1171 upvotes
Laputa
56kbps wrote:
Nov 21st, 2018 2:48 pm
I agree that comparing anything but maybe the small handful of big name flagships to iPhone is a joke. I would never expect these to hold their own against an iPhone.

But looking at the specs, they still look way better than anything I could find locally for that price. They strike me as a good midranger - for someone like me who doesn't really need flagship specs but needs at least bit more than a very basic entry level phone like Samsung J3, LG K4, etc. Had I known about these yesterday I definitely would have opted to buy one and do a BYOD deal instead of signing a contract.

Shipping is an understandable deal breaker for some, though. But considering I could pay for expedited shipping for the random $1 cases I bought for my S9 on AliExpress, I find it very odd that there is no expedited shipping option for these Lenovo phones.
Yeah, not bad to buy, dont need to worry too much. but also dont expect too much.
The low-end mobile phone market is very competitive in China, Brands like OPPO, Lenovo, VIVO won't be too bad, otherwise they are unable to survive.
Thx OP, bought 10! :facepalm:
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 29, 2014
1757 posts
1171 upvotes
Laputa
56kbps wrote:
Nov 21st, 2018 2:48 pm
I agree that comparing anything but maybe the small handful of big name flagships to iPhone is a joke. I would never expect these to hold their own against an iPhone.

But looking at the specs, they still look way better than anything I could find locally for that price. They strike me as a good midranger - for someone like me who doesn't really need flagship specs but needs at least bit more than a very basic entry level phone like Samsung J3, LG K4, etc. Had I known about these yesterday I definitely would have opted to buy one and do a BYOD deal instead of signing a contract.

Shipping is an understandable deal breaker for some, though. But considering I could pay for expedited shipping for the random $1 cases I bought for my S9 on AliExpress, I find it very odd that there is no expedited shipping option for these Lenovo phones.
Compare to Canadian market, yes, those phones from China always have better specs, because the low-end cellphone market is very competitive in China, to many local brands(those companies are famous in China, but NA people may not know about it). Tons of phones from ¥1000~¥1500(C$200~300 ).
Thx OP, bought 10! :facepalm:
Banned
Nov 20, 2018
4 posts
Are Canadian custom duties, taxes, brokerage fees included in the price?

How much is Shipping & handling fees?
[OP]
Sr. Member
User avatar
Nov 23, 2015
710 posts
395 upvotes
Winnipeg
didirfd wrote:
Nov 21st, 2018 3:13 pm
Are Canadian custom duties, taxes, brokerage fees included in the price?

How much is Shipping & handling fees?
Shipping is included in the price.

Doubtful that duties/taxes are included. I generally have no idea how it's going to shake out with AliExpress purchases and whether I'll have to pay anything extra at all on them.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 28, 2013
16663 posts
6521 upvotes
Oakville
didirfd wrote:
Nov 21st, 2018 3:13 pm
Are Canadian custom duties, taxes, brokerage fees included in the price?

How much is Shipping & handling fees?
All those fees are rarely included in the price. When ordering phones from China you can often get cheap surface shipping, which will take 2-4 weeks during normal times (much longer now with the CP strikes), and whether or not you get dinged for taxes and brokerage fees (no customs duties on phones) is a toss up, depending on whether your order gets flagged by customs or not. You can usually get DHL shipping for $20-30 (or less, sometimes), and it'll arrive within a week or two, BUT you are guaranteed to get hit with taxes, brokerage fees, and COD charges. (Last time I got a phone via DHL from China, brokerage fees and COD charges worked out to something like 20 bucks). So your choices are gamble and wait, or pay the piper but actually get it in a reasonable timeframe.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Jr. Member
Mar 17, 2008
182 posts
32 upvotes
Ontario
Was thinking about buying. If you change the "ship to" at the top the page to Canada, then when you try to buy, it says Cannot deliver to Canada. So I guess not such a good deal for Canadians!

Top