Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
aliexpress

MEIZU NOTE 9 global version

• Last Updated:
  • May 9th, 2019 12:08 pm
Oct 22, 2013
437 posts
289 upvotes
NORTH YORK
vivibaby wrote: Any cheap chinese phones with good cameras? That's the most important feature for me.
the camera on redmi note7 is not bad at all.
Jul 12, 2005
920 posts
298 upvotes
Kelowna
Maybe the Moto 7 power is a decent alternative? Great battery life, ok camera...no NFC though if that's important.
Mar 29, 2018
87 posts
48 upvotes
No thanks. It copies the name of Samsung Note 9. Also it's a Chinese phone, if you don't care about the phone spying on you, great. Some will say I got nothing to hide until your banking info is skimmed or you get next to zero updates. No thanks
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2002
13237 posts
12065 upvotes
Toronto
KingCreole wrote: Maybe the Moto 7 power is a decent alternative? Great battery life, ok camera...no NFC though if that's important.
Sure, as long as you can live with SD 632 and 720p screen. I think 1080p is really the sweet spot though.
Banned
Feb 6, 2017
2176 posts
1263 upvotes
Temping. I almost got the F1 Play but am thinking that this is a better phone for cheaper too.
Oct 20, 2012
472 posts
157 upvotes
will I be charged for HST and custom duty?
Dec 29, 2017
250 posts
177 upvotes
Hmmm...sort of luck of the draw re duties and tax. I didn't when a brought in a $200 tablet thru Ali express delivery option but others have.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2012
9299 posts
10313 upvotes
wearysky wrote: If camera matters to you, any phone in this price range is going to be a HUGE downgrade from your Pixel 2XL.

Hard to say whether it's worth going off your plan and seeing what Bell has, not knowing your usage. If you're using that full 10GB every month? You're looking at $125 a month right now with Bell (and even then, that only gets you an S9 for $99 - to get an S10 for $150 you're looking at $145/month for 24 months. Over 24 months, you're definitely paying more than $1000 for a new phone)
Actually the Redmi Note 7 with gcam is really, really close. It's a truly impressive achievement for a budget phone.
Jul 12, 2005
920 posts
298 upvotes
Kelowna
Angultra wrote: Sure, as long as you can live with SD 632 and 720p screen. I think 1080p is really the sweet spot though.
Good points. For someone like me it's not an issue. I love the battery life and the size of the phone. I do wish it's camera was a notch better...but apparently it's not bad.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2002
13237 posts
12065 upvotes
Toronto
KingCreole wrote: Good points. For someone like me it's not an issue. I love the battery life and the size of the phone. I do wish it's camera was a notch better...but apparently it's not bad.
The Zenfone 3 Zoom might want to look into. SD625, 5000mAh, 1080p Amoled and better camera with ois and 2.3x Zoom. Not a fancy design but gets the basics down, and battery can easily last 2 days.
Jul 12, 2005
920 posts
298 upvotes
Kelowna
Angultra wrote: The Zenfone 3 Zoom might want to look into. SD625, 5000mAh, 1080p Amoled and better camera with ois and 2.3x Zoom. Not a fancy design but gets the basics down, and battery can easily last 2 days.
Hey, thanks I will. Never new about it.
Apr 23, 2008
675 posts
99 upvotes
Toronto
Angultra wrote: The Zenfone 3 Zoom might want to look into. SD625, 5000mAh, 1080p Amoled and better camera with ois and 2.3x Zoom. Not a fancy design but gets the basics down, and battery can easily last 2 days.
Had a black screen on this phone after 2 months of use. Had to return. Google shows it is a common problem with this phone.
Jun 17, 2003
803 posts
566 upvotes
Toronto
Fair about battery, screen and camera but it's worth noting that the Snapdragon 625 - while popular for good reason - is pretty ancient (2016) at this point, and offers no quick charging.
Banned
Feb 6, 2017
2176 posts
1263 upvotes
This phone vs the Xiaomi Redmi Note 7, which one is better?

Also, can the 2nd sim slot be used to support a SD card? Asking because dual sim standby is useless to me. I wouldn't want to use LTE while not being able to receive calls.

Gotta decide by tonight whether to pull the trigger on this. Lastly, I'm also a bit concerned about spyware on these lesser known Chinese brands so if this is a concern, perhaps going with a bigger name like Xiaomi would be a better bet?
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21329 posts
10938 upvotes
Oakville
HN12345 wrote: Gotta decide by tonight whether to pull the trigger on this. Lastly, I'm also a bit concerned about spyware on these lesser known Chinese brands so if this is a concern, perhaps going with a bigger name like Xiaomi would be a better bet?
Spyware is more of an issue with phones with unlockable bootloaders, IMO. Meizu's phones don't have that, so you're stuck with stock factory ROMs. And believe me, if there was spyware in the stock factory ROM, with all the scrutiny on China these days, you'd hear about it if somebody found it.
Dec 29, 2017
250 posts
177 upvotes
no the 2nd sim slot is not usable by sd card.
HN12345 wrote: This phone vs the Xiaomi Redmi Note 7, which one is better?

Also, can the 2nd sim slot be used to support a SD card? Asking because dual sim standby is useless to me. I wouldn't want to use LTE while not being able to receive calls.

Gotta decide by tonight whether to pull the trigger on this. Lastly, I'm also a bit concerned about spyware on these lesser known Chinese brands so if this is a concern, perhaps going with a bigger name like Xiaomi would be a better bet?
Deal Guru
Mar 5, 2007
10207 posts
11268 upvotes
HN12345 wrote: Asking because dual sim standby is useless to me. I wouldn't want to use LTE while not being able to receive calls.
?? I don't think you understand how dual sim works.

It auto switches. If you are using LTE on your data sim, and a call comes in on your voice sim, you will be able to receive that call, zero problems. When you are done with your call everything will switch back to the data sim for data.

Honestly, it's pretty transparent, and works 100% reliably.
Jun 17, 2003
803 posts
566 upvotes
Toronto
HN12345 wrote: This phone vs the Xiaomi Redmi Note 7, which one is better?

It's important to realize that no one here will have spent a month living with both phones. So everything here will be theoretical opinion. And it's important to keep in mind that they both are great phones for the money.
That said, I'd say for 95% (99%?) of users, the Redmi Note 7 wins out.
I think you'll find the software/UX a little more refined; when you have problems you'll have a much easier time (as an english speaker) googling answers on MIUI vs FlyMe; the camera software is likely better, not to mention that you can use GCam on the Redmi, there's no evidence that's true of the Meizu (...although important to note that the raw image processing power is superior on the Meizu/SD675); even if you never unlock your bootloader, the fact that you can on the Redmi will increase it's resale value; and the general consensus among reviewers is that the Redmi looks/feels better from an industrial design point of view.
The only users who might benefit from choosing the Meizu are those who play CPU-intense games or do other things with their phone that max out the CPU or image processor. The Meizu's SnapDragon 675 is a modestly superior chip.
Banned
Feb 6, 2017
2176 posts
1263 upvotes
repatch wrote: ?? I don't think you understand how dual sim works.

It auto switches. If you are using LTE on your data sim, and a call comes in on your voice sim, you will be able to receive that call, zero problems. When you are done with your call everything will switch back to the data sim for data.

Honestly, it's pretty transparent, and works 100% reliably.
Maybe I am confused. I am going by this article here: What is the difference between Dual Active and Dual Standby?

A quote from the article:

"In dual standby if a person is using SIM 1 and another person is calling on SIM 2 they will hear the message “not reachable, try again later”."

So say that I'm using LTE from Fido as a hotspot for my laptop using my 2nd sim, would people still be able to call me on my Koodo sim?
Deal Guru
Mar 5, 2007
10207 posts
11268 upvotes
HN12345 wrote: Maybe I am confused. I am going by this article here: What is the difference between Dual Active and Dual Standby?

A quote from the article:

"In dual standby if a person is using SIM 1 and another person is calling on SIM 2 they will hear the message “not reachable, try again later”."

So say that I'm using LTE from Fido as a hotspot for my laptop using my 2nd sim, would people still be able to call me on my Koodo sim?
That article is completely false, considering it's almost 7 years old I can give it a bit there.

I have had 3 dual sim phones, all were labelled 'dual standby' and NONE exhibited the behaviour described in that article.

I have a Nokia 8 in my hands right now. I just tried: I started a speed test and while that ran I called the 'voice sim' from another phone, the call came in fine.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)