Hot Deals

[ALIEXPRESS] REDMI 7 phone (Qualcomm SD 632) 162$ CAD !

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 27th, 2019 8:19 am
[OP]
Apr 8, 2015
730 posts
719 upvotes
Roxboro, QC
fixed. There is ali buyers protection.
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
12830 posts
3492 upvotes
Toronto
bobor wrote:
May 17th, 2019 10:48 am
Still currently rocking a Redmi Note 5 Pro from last years thread and till going strong.

Great phones but still waiting for the day they'll include wireless charging.
I'm using a Redmi Note 5 Pro as well and this Redmi 7 phone in the OP is a pretty big downgrade from that. I'm gonna stick with my order for the $265 Redmi Note 7 on Banggood.
[OP]
Apr 8, 2015
730 posts
719 upvotes
Roxboro, QC
repatch wrote:
May 17th, 2019 11:10 am
The biggest difference is the 720p screen. To be frank, it's not a good idea to get a 720p screen these days.

More and more of the web is designed for 1080, and many apps also have issues on smaller res screens.

It's usable, but going forward, it's best to aim for a 1080p panel in whatever phone you get. 1440p is pretty much in all flagships, and 1080p is pretty much every device not flagship.

For a similar price consider the LG G6, I've seen it available for less then $200.
The LG G6 will run at double the price (checked Amazon), inferior glass protection, significantly worse battery, is a 2 year phone with less updates going forward if any at all (stuck on oreo whereas this has PIE + updates going forward), Miui OS is actually very good. Yes G6 has a better screen and probably better camera performance but your price point doesnt exist and even if it did, i wouldnt go for it just because of the battery + updates going forward.
[OP]
Apr 8, 2015
730 posts
719 upvotes
Roxboro, QC
Kurtz7834 wrote:
May 17th, 2019 11:15 am
I'm using a Redmi Note 5 Pro as well and this Redmi 7 phone in the OP is a pretty big downgrade from that. I'm gonna stick with my order for the $265 Redmi Note 7 on Banggood.
I have the Redmi note 5 Pro and this would be a downgrade yes. The note 5 pro or 6 pro is basically being sold for the same price as the Note 7 which is 50% more than this. I would not upgrade Redmi note 5 pros to this.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
3318 posts
2824 upvotes
superxxxstud wrote:
May 17th, 2019 11:16 am
The LG G6 will run at double the price (checked Amazon), inferior glass protection, significantly worse battery, is a 2 year phone with less updates going forward if any at all (stuck on oreo whereas this has PIE + updates going forward), Miui OS is actually very good. Yes G6 has a better screen and probably better camera performance but your price point doesnt exist and even if it did, i wouldnt go for it just because of the battery + updates going forward.
Look harder. The G6 regularly comes up for under $200.

We're talking longevity here, and a device with a 720p screen just isn't a good idea. Sorry, while the rest of the hardware is decent, that single spec kills ALOT of use going forward. The amount of side scrolling you need to do on a 720p screen is staggering.

To each his/her own. I've said my piece.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2012
5538 posts
3478 upvotes
Kurtz7834 wrote:
May 17th, 2019 11:05 am
Note 7 benefits for $100 more
-Slightly better processor
-4 / 64 GB storage
-higher resolution / brighter screen, better display panel - 720p is not great on a screen this big
-better camera (not sure how much better, maybe someone else can add details)
-Faster wifi
It's especially the camera that is significantly better, especially if one uses a Gcam APK (which the Note 7 supports without any modifications needed, just install the APK). The camera quality is phenomenal in this fashion.
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
12830 posts
3492 upvotes
Toronto
superxxxstud wrote:
May 17th, 2019 11:18 am
I have the Redmi note 5 Pro and this would be a downgrade yes. The note 5 pro or 6 pro is basically being sold for the same price as the Note 7 which is 50% more than this. I would not upgrade Redmi note 5 pros to this.
Thanks, I have to suggest spending the extra $100 on the Redmi Note 7 versus the Redmi 7. For most people, a phone will be used daily / constantly and I'd spend the extra $100 for a better experience.
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
12830 posts
3492 upvotes
Toronto
Poutinesauce wrote:
May 17th, 2019 11:21 am
It's especially the camera that is significantly better, especially if one uses a Gcam APK (which the Note 7 supports without any modifications needed, just install the APK). The camera quality is phenomenal in this fashion.
Thanks, all I needed to hear. Most photography in 2019 is done via cell phones and the camera definitely matters.
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
12830 posts
3492 upvotes
Toronto
repatch wrote:
May 17th, 2019 11:20 am

We're talking longevity here, and a device with a 720p screen just isn't a good idea. Sorry, while the rest of the hardware is decent, that single spec kills ALOT of use going forward. The amount of side scrolling you need to do on a 720p screen is staggering.

I have to agree, LG phones depreciate at lightning speed and the G6 is easily available for $200 or less. I would still get a Redmi Note 7 over an LG-G6, so that's what I spent my $265 on.
Jul 22, 2014
633 posts
1082 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Kurtz7834 wrote:
May 17th, 2019 11:24 am
Thanks, all I needed to hear. Most photography in 2019 is done via cell phones and the camera definitely matters.
Most photography is too vague. Most amateur photography, maybe.
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
12830 posts
3492 upvotes
Toronto
blyndfyre wrote:
May 17th, 2019 11:28 am
The vast volume of photos being taken are done with smart phones. I have high quality camera gear and lenses and the camera on a smartphone is still important to me, due to convenience.
[OP]
Apr 8, 2015
730 posts
719 upvotes
Roxboro, QC
repatch wrote:
May 17th, 2019 11:20 am

Please indicate where we can buy one for 200$ with software that will never get new updates?

Also, the screen resolution is 1520x720 and yes, that is a very average budget resolution but your point about side scrolling is not accurate. Maybe another user can comment.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
3318 posts
2824 upvotes
blyndfyre wrote:
May 17th, 2019 11:28 am
The vast majority of photography done today is 'amateur', therefore 'most photography' seems accurate.

Yes, most pros use 'pro' equipment (although even 'amatuer' equipment produces results on par with pro equipment in many cases), but they are a very quickly declining part of photography. Families used to regularly go for portraits at pro studios, now the closest most get are mall photo stores, and even there most families don't both.

About the only place consumers go for 'pro' photography is weddings. For all other life events most people just use their phones.

For better or worse, the cell phone is THE camera of choice in almost all situations these days. And why makes sense: you almost ALWAYS have your phone with you. Hard to compete with that.

I have the pro stuff. I still use the pro stuff. But when it comes to personal photos, most of those shots are from my lowly cell phone camera.
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
12830 posts
3492 upvotes
Toronto
superxxxstud wrote:
May 17th, 2019 11:36 am
Please indicate where we can buy one for 200$ with software that will never get new updates?

Also, the screen resolution is 1520x720 and yes, that is a very average budget resolution but your point about side scrolling is not accurate. Maybe another user can comment.
The Redmi 7 for $165 is a decent deal. I also would not really suggest buying the LG-G6 due to inferior battery life and lack of updates.

For me, Redmi Note 7 @ $265 > Redmi 7 @ $165. But either way, I've had nothing but great experiences with Xiaomi products. MIUI is the best version of Android I've used, just replace the launcher with Nova.
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2004
1276 posts
110 upvotes
Poutinesauce wrote:
May 17th, 2019 11:21 am
Would it be relatively simple to update the Note 5 Pro with the Gcam APK?