Hot Deals

[ALIEXPRESS] REDMI 7 phone (Qualcomm SD 632) 162$ CAD !

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 27th, 2019 8:19 am
[OP]
Apr 8, 2015
732 posts
721 upvotes
Roxboro, QC
Kurtz7834 wrote:
May 17th, 2019 11:22 am
Thanks, I have to suggest spending the extra $100 on the Redmi Note 7 versus the Redmi 7. For most people, a phone will be used daily / constantly and I'd spend the extra $100 for a better experience.
Depends on the type of user you are. Obviously you are willing to pay (in terms of percentage) more for a better specs. Note 7 is a great phone for the price. This is a great phone for a price that is absolutely rock bottom and features most budget-seeking users will find more than acceptable. Remember, this is not in the cheepo processor grade (Helio or Snapdragon 4xx). It is quite capable in most circumstances which is what you will typically find for sub 200$ phones or get yesteryear's flagship as one user was suggesting, without any updates going forward which i think is a much bigger issue.
Oct 17, 2016
28 posts
14 upvotes
Nice, going upgrade from my redmi 4a to this.
I have had nothing but positive experience with xiaomi.
My mom's redmi 4x just got a security update last week, for a sub $150 phone that's almost 2 years old.
Last edited by JamesMasters on May 17th, 2019 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
3336 posts
2832 upvotes
superxxxstud wrote:
May 17th, 2019 11:36 am
Please indicate where we can buy one for 200$ with software that will never get new updates?

Also, the screen resolution is 1520x720 and yes, that is a very average budget resolution but your point about side scrolling is not accurate. Maybe another user can comment.
ebay, quick look:
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/LG-G6-32GB-Blac ... 16d4e1aab2

Yes, seller refurbished, but they allow you to return if you're happy with the shape of it. With the PERKSREFURB coupon the price goes down to ~$186.

That took me 20 seconds to find. If you're willing to put A LITTLE more effort I'm sure you'd find something better.

An that's ignoring that Koodo a couple months ago was selling the G6 for $168 CPO (brand new with no blemishes).

As for the Redmi 7, the 1520 is irrelevant, it's the 720 that hurts. Remember, on your computer you're using your screen in 'landscape mode', so even a lowly 720p screen on a laptop presents you with a 1280 (1366) pixel wide screen. This phone gives you HALF of that. Imagine using your laptop with half the horizontal space. That's this phone.

I have a 720p phone (a backup dual sim I use for emergencies), it's miserable to use on the modern web. Many sites not perfectly optimized for mobile look 'off' at best, or require so much side scrolling they become very frustrating very quickly.
Last edited by repatch on May 17th, 2019 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
12831 posts
3493 upvotes
Toronto
JamesMasters wrote:
May 17th, 2019 11:43 am
My mom's redmi 4x just got a security update last week, for a sub $150 phone that's almost 2 years old.
This will be a huge upgrade for you.
Jul 22, 2014
648 posts
1089 upvotes
Calgary, AB
repatch wrote:
May 17th, 2019 11:44 am
ebay, quick look:

Yes, seller refurbished, but they allow you to return if you're happy with the shape of it. With the PERKSREFURB coupon the price goes down to ~$186.

That took me 20 seconds to find. If you're willing to put A LITTLE more effort I'm sure you'd find something better.

An that's ignoring that Koodo a couple months ago was selling the G6 for $168 CPO (brand new with no blemishes).

As for the Redmi 7, the 1520 is irrelevant, it's the 720 that hurts. Remember, on your computer you're using your screen in 'landscape mode', so even a lowly 720p screen on a laptop presents you with a 1280 (1366) pixel wide screen. This phone gives you HALF of that. Imagine using your laptop with half the horizontal space. That's this phone.

I have a 720p phone (a backup dual sim I use for emergencies), it's miserable to use on the modern web. Many sites not perfectly optimized for mobile look 'off' at best, or require so much side scrolling they become very frustrating very quickly.
You can't just compare seller refurbished with new. They likely didn't replace the battery on the refurbished unit so it could be in poor shape, reaching low capacity.

Spend another 20 seconds and find one in new condition, selling today, for less than $200.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2012
1139 posts
866 upvotes
Hongcouver
superxxxstud wrote:
May 17th, 2019 11:01 am
I would agree with you if they slapped a Snapdragon 4xx chipset. But with a 632, im going to have to disagree as this phone does much more than the basics. The Note 7 is a better phone and is also 50% more. The iphone is a better phone and costs 5x more. For the average user, i doubt they will feel much difference. I would but my parents or significant other, probably not at all.
I beg to differ..... with one of your points. The iPhone IS 5x more, but it is not better. iPhone is just snapping on what other people have invented and they call it their "new technology". iPhone Sucks, and so are their followers, they are just hippsters who think they bought an amazing product and can't wait to show it off, but then it will be wrapped up in bubble wrap where no one can see their phone anyways coz they are too scared to bump it into a pillow and their $1800 phone will break and stop working.

But again, I agree with everything else you say.
CheapBuddy wrote:
Sep 4th, 2013 2:34 pm
thanks you, i like this balls a lot, at Tin Horton... i got balls before at walmart and where all dry and old
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
12831 posts
3493 upvotes
Toronto
DealPanda wrote:
May 17th, 2019 11:53 am
I beg to differ..... with one of your points. The iPhone IS 5x more, but it is not better. iPhone is just snapping on what other people have invented and they call it their "new technology". iPhone Sucks, and so are their followers, they are just hippsters who think they bought an amazing product and can't wait to show it off, but then it will be wrapped up in bubble wrap where no one can see their phone anyways coz they are too scared to bump it into a pillow and their $1800 phone will break and stop working.

But again, I agree with everything else you say.
There is a point of diminishing returns with spending more on cell phones. Redmi Note 7 is a huge upgrade over Redmi 7 for $100 more. For $800 more, the latest and greatest iPhone is not 4X better than Redmi Note 7. But YMMV. For me, $250 to $350 is the sweet point for cell phone value.

There are lots of people locked into the Apple ecosystem and Apple knows this. Apple holds them hostage with their high prices.
Last edited by Kurtz7834 on May 17th, 2019 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Apr 8, 2015
732 posts
721 upvotes
Roxboro, QC
repatch wrote:
May 17th, 2019 11:44 am
ebay, quick look:

you cant possibly compare refurbished devices or Koodo buying then cancelling thing to an offer like this. I checked amazon and this LG G6 new phone thing that will never get updated doesnt exist. Please come up with a device someone can buy today in the 175$-200$ range that is better and don't tell me to spend more time looking when you're the one suggesting there is better.
[OP]
Apr 8, 2015
732 posts
721 upvotes
Roxboro, QC
Kurtz7834 wrote:
May 17th, 2019 11:45 am
This will be a huge upgrade for you.
JamesMasters wrote:
May 17th, 2019 11:43 am
Yes this is great upgrade for a low budget because the 4a uses a real crap processor.
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2014
2217 posts
580 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Still on the Redmi Note 4... Waiting patiently to upgrade but want a good camera/mic.
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
12831 posts
3493 upvotes
Toronto
djdestroyer wrote:
May 17th, 2019 12:04 pm
Still on the Redmi Note 4... Waiting patiently to upgrade but want a good camera/mic.
Redmi Note 7 will be a big upgrade. You should be able to sell the Redmi Note 4 for at least $100 on Kijiji if it's in decent shape.
[OP]
Apr 8, 2015
732 posts
721 upvotes
Roxboro, QC
Kurtz7834 wrote:
May 17th, 2019 11:55 am
There is a point of diminishing returns with spending more on cell phones. Redmi Note 7 is a huge upgrade over Redmi 7 for $100 more. For $800 more, the latest and greatest iPhone is not 4X better than Redmi Note 7. But YMMV. For me, $250 to $350 is the sweet point for cell phone value.
Nobody is disagreeing with you. Someone who comes on this thread is expecting a sub 200$ option. Suggesting that a rib eye is a better cut than ground beef hamburger steak is evident. Some people just dont value spending more money on phones and they want an average phone at the best price or want to hook up their parents with something very reasonable. I haven't found a better price/value ratio for a new phone but if you have suggestions, I am sure it would be helpful.
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
12831 posts
3493 upvotes
Toronto
superxxxstud wrote:
May 17th, 2019 12:06 pm
Nobody is disagreeing with you. Someone who comes on this thread is expecting a sub 200$ option. Suggesting that a rib eye is a better cut than ground beef hamburger steak is evident. Some people just dont value spending more money on phones and they want an average phone at the best price or want to hook up their parents with something very reasonable. I haven't found a better price/value ratio for a new phone but if you have suggestions, I am sure it would be helpful.
I would agree that this Redmi 7 is probably the best value option in the sub $200 range. These days there are very few good deals for phones available in Canada, that aren't tied to carrier contracts / sign up, cancel etc.

I have found Xiaomi phones to have poor reception in rural areas, so buyers should keep that in mind. They're best used in large cities.
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2014
2217 posts
580 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Kurtz7834 wrote:
May 17th, 2019 12:05 pm
Redmi Note 7 will be a big upgrade. You should be able to sell the Redmi Note 4 for at least $100 on Kijiji if it's in decent shape.
It's the 4gb/64gb model so I assume that's why someone would still buy it? I have no problems with it except for terrible video/sound quality. Battery still lasts me about 36 hours. Quick and zippy. I don't think I could downgrade in RAM though...
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
12831 posts
3493 upvotes
Toronto
djdestroyer wrote:
May 17th, 2019 12:10 pm
It's the 4gb/64gb model so I assume that's why someone would still buy it? I have no problems with it except for terrible video/sound quality. Battery still lasts me about 36 hours. Quick and zippy. I don't think I could downgrade in RAM though...
There's very few good options in the $100 or less range for phones on Kijiji, even for used phones. It's a bunch of Iphone 5s, LG-G3 etc. and similar dated garbage. So that's why someone will buy it.

The Redmi Note 7 is $265 all in, I have one ordered from China from Banggood.