Expired Hot Deals

[Apple] AliExpress - Rikomagic MK802 III - Android 4.1 Smart TV Stick - US$59 FS

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 5th, 2013 12:24 pm
May 26, 2011
398 posts
66 upvotes
Etobicoke
Thinking of upgrading to a G box midnight, or the Pivos Xios DS, Can someone chime in and tell me which one is the better unit and why? Thx all. Cheers.
[OP]
Aug 9, 2007
422 posts
140 upvotes
gregster64 wrote:
Oct 19th, 2012 11:29 am
Thinking of upgrading to a G box midnight, or the Pivos Xios DS, Can someone chime in and tell me which one is the better unit and why? Thx all. Cheers.
I think these are both single core units and cost almost as much as the Apple TV.
Dual core should be at least 50% faster than these.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 21, 2003
6754 posts
754 upvotes
There's no way to gain an hdmi port on a computer monitor that is old and doesn't have one, right?
Apr 7, 2005
163 posts
9 upvotes
An HDMI port is like a DVI port with additional features (like audio). You'd have to do some research to find out if various converters can help you.
Jun 10, 2007
113 posts
15 upvotes
is it possible to install Plex on this device?

currently I am using an ipad2 to air play videos to an appletv (3rd gen), the plex server (mac) and appletv are wired to the network.
[OP]
Aug 9, 2007
422 posts
140 upvotes
aikidoka wrote:
Oct 19th, 2012 3:32 pm
is it possible to install Plex on this device?
Plex is an app for Android so it is possible to install like other Android apps. It costs $5 and I haven't tried it.

Basically if an app works on your Android phone or tablet, it works on the MK802 on the big TV screen.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 21, 2003
6754 posts
754 upvotes
Alburt wrote:
Oct 19th, 2012 3:26 pm
An HDMI port is like a DVI port with additional features (like audio). You'd have to do some research to find out if various converters can help you.
Thanks! :)
[OP]
Aug 9, 2007
422 posts
140 upvotes
jory29 wrote:
Oct 19th, 2012 3:18 pm
There's no way to gain an hdmi port on a computer monitor that is old and doesn't have one, right?
There are various HDMI to VGA/DVI converters but I hear they don't all work well except the expensive ones.

Monitors are cheap now, I would get one with built-in speakers and USB (for powering the MK802), like this one:

Benq EW2420, 24" LED VA Panel Monitor,
- 1920x1080, 8ms, 20M:1(DCR),
- VGA, DVI, HDMI & USB w/Speakers

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_ ... _id=038006
Jun 10, 2007
113 posts
15 upvotes
If I plug a bluetooth usb, will this android device detects and allow me to use bluetooth keyboard and mouse?
I am asking because I have spare bt keyb / mouse but not wired one.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 2, 2006
5511 posts
447 upvotes
Mississauga
thinking of getting one, just plan to use android 4.1, not any linux distros, will this suffice? i stayed away from the first versions because of the wifi issues
[OP]
Aug 9, 2007
422 posts
140 upvotes
Longobongo wrote:
Oct 19th, 2012 6:40 pm
thinking of getting one, just plan to use android 4.1, not any linux distros, will this suffice? i stayed away from the first versions because of the wifi issues
I don't have any wifi issues with the MK802 II, expecting the III to be faster and better.
Nov 26, 2003
92 posts
1 upvote
Vancouver
this is a good deal but i think ill wait til nov for the quad core stick to come out
Dec 1, 2003
757 posts
38 upvotes
tsuda wrote:
Oct 19th, 2012 3:48 pm
There are various HDMI to VGA/DVI converters but I hear they don't all work well except the expensive ones.
Actually Alburt is correct:
Alburt wrote:
Oct 19th, 2012 3:26 pm
You can't really lump VGA and DVI together, as VGA is analog and DVI is digital. An HDMI (digital) to VGA (analog) converter thus requires a box to do the digital > analog conversion, like this one from monoprice. HDMI to DVI on the other hand requires no such conversion, you can buy HDMI to DVI cables for under $5 and shouldn't have any discernible video quality loss. The audio part as Alburt mentioned is the kicker. DVI is video-only, so usually when you use a cable like this, you need to also run a separate audio cable to your audio device. This device unfortunately seems to only have hdmi out, I don't see anything about any separate digital audio outputs, unless it supports USB audio or something, I don't have much experience with that. Anyone here know?

Jory - you could get a monitor with hdmi and speakers, but I can't imagine most monitor speakers would sound very good. Personally I would spend the extra money and get a box that does have an audio output to your audio device, like an appletv/wdlive/boxee or something like that - that is, assuming your monitor has DVI and you have external speakers already. If your monitor is an analog-only dinosaur then yeah, you might want to look into an upgrade, if you want to use it with modern devices. :) Or if you don't already have some other audio device then it might be convenient to get a monitor with built-in speakers as tsuda suggests - I just wouldn't expect much in the way of audio quality.
Jul 8, 2011
669 posts
147 upvotes
WESTMOUNT
aikidoka wrote:
Oct 19th, 2012 6:22 pm
If I plug a bluetooth usb, will this android device detects and allow me to use bluetooth keyboard and mouse?
I am asking because I have spare bt keyb / mouse but not wired one.
Yes it does. This is exactly what I am doing.
Jul 8, 2011
669 posts
147 upvotes
WESTMOUNT
tsuda wrote:
Oct 19th, 2012 3:43 pm
Plex is an app for Android so it is possible to install like other Android apps. It costs $5 and I haven't tried it.

Basically if an app works on your Android phone or tablet, it works on the MK802 on the big TV screen.
Not exactly, some apps force close or don't respond to mouse clicks (Bad Piggies for example). YMMV
× < >