Expired Hot Deals

[Apple] AliExpress - Rikomagic MK802 III - Android 4.1 Smart TV Stick - US$59 FS

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 5th, 2013 12:24 pm
Aug 9, 2007
421 posts
140 upvotes
herrdude wrote:
Oct 20th, 2012 7:00 am
Not exactly, some apps force close or don't respond to mouse clicks (Bad Piggies for example). YMMV
If you have the MK802 II, I had similar issues until I upgraded to the latest firmware. Now it's much more responsive. That's why I'm buying Rikomagic again because at least they make updates to firmware.

I haven't tried Bad Piggies (sounds like a knock off of Angry Birds?), but it wouldn't be too far off to think of the MK802 II as a equivalent of Galaxy S1 and MK802 III as a Galaxy S2.
[OP]
Aug 9, 2007
421 posts
140 upvotes
gromitlad wrote:
Oct 20th, 2012 3:32 am
Actually Alburt is correct:

You can't really lump VGA and DVI together, as VGA is analog and DVI is digital. An HDMI (digital) to VGA (analog) converter thus requires a box to do the digital > analog conversion, like this one from monoprice. HDMI to DVI on the other hand requires no such conversion, you can buy HDMI to DVI cables for under $5 and shouldn't have any discernible video quality loss. The audio part as Alburt mentioned is the kicker. DVI is video-only, so usually when you use a cable like this, you need to also run a separate audio cable to your audio device. This device unfortunately seems to only have hdmi out, I don't see anything about any separate digital audio outputs, unless it supports USB audio or something, I don't have much experience with that. Anyone here know?

Jory - you could get a monitor with hdmi and speakers, but I can't imagine most monitor speakers would sound very good. Personally I would spend the extra money and get a box that does have an audio output to your audio device, like an appletv/wdlive/boxee or something like that - that is, assuming your monitor has DVI and you have external speakers already. If your monitor is an analog-only dinosaur then yeah, you might want to look into an upgrade, if you want to use it with modern devices. :) Or if you don't already have some other audio device then it might be convenient to get a monitor with built-in speakers as tsuda suggests - I just wouldn't expect much in the way of audio quality.
I wonder what this cable does:
http://cty.ca/productdetails.asp?pid=3934

Anyway, what you say is valid. If you're looking for connectivity options and premium sound, this device does not replace an HTPC.

This device is portable and cheap, e.g. you can pair it with an LED monitor and hang them anywhere in the house for an instant media center / internet station.
Mar 10, 2012
247 posts
79 upvotes
Toronto
tsuda wrote:
Oct 20th, 2012 9:03 am
If you have the MK802 II, I had similar issues until I upgraded to the latest firmware. Now it's much more responsive. That's why I'm buying Rikomagic again because at least they make updates to firmware.

I haven't tried Bad Piggies (sounds like a knock off of Angry Birds?), but it wouldn't be too far off to think of the MK802 II as a equivalent of Galaxy S1 and MK802 III as a Galaxy S2.
Bad Piggies made by the same company as Angry Birds.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 21, 2003
6752 posts
754 upvotes
gromitlad wrote:
Oct 20th, 2012 3:32 am
Actually Alburt is correct:

You can't really lump VGA and DVI together, as VGA is analog and DVI is digital. An HDMI (digital) to VGA (analog) converter thus requires a box to do the digital > analog conversion, like this one from monoprice. HDMI to DVI on the other hand requires no such conversion, you can buy HDMI to DVI cables for under $5 and shouldn't have any discernible video quality loss. The audio part as Alburt mentioned is the kicker. DVI is video-only, so usually when you use a cable like this, you need to also run a separate audio cable to your audio device. This device unfortunately seems to only have hdmi out, I don't see anything about any separate digital audio outputs, unless it supports USB audio or something, I don't have much experience with that. Anyone here know?

Jory - you could get a monitor with hdmi and speakers, but I can't imagine most monitor speakers would sound very good. Personally I would spend the extra money and get a box that does have an audio output to your audio device, like an appletv/wdlive/boxee or something like that - that is, assuming your monitor has DVI and you have external speakers already. If your monitor is an analog-only dinosaur then yeah, you might want to look into an upgrade, if you want to use it with modern devices. :) Or if you don't already have some other audio device then it might be convenient to get a monitor with built-in speakers as tsuda suggests - I just wouldn't expect much in the way of audio quality.
Great detailed explanation, thanks very much! I do have other monitors that have HDMI but the one in my daughter's room doesn't, but at some point upgrades will likely be made in the future, so for now if I purchase the device, I would just use it on our TVs I guess. Thanks!! :)

Edited to add: Can anyone tell me where they are getting their $10 aliexpress coupons from? Thanks! I tried looking it up here and googling it, but can't find out how one can get one.
Jul 11, 2006
75 posts
4 upvotes
Has anyone tried Slidescreen or iDisplay to extend their laptop/tablet display onto the tv via this? I kinda wanna get it for wireless extension of my laptop screen (like airplay).
Dec 1, 2003
757 posts
38 upvotes
tsuda wrote:
Oct 20th, 2012 9:10 am
I wonder what this cable does:
http://cty.ca/productdetails.asp?pid=3934
Wow, you surprised me with that link! :) Did not think such an animal existed. CTY doesn't have much of a description or any user reviews, but perhaps it's like this cable at Amazon, which apparently is meant to carry analog signals over hdmi to an analog device. It does not convert the signal. The two top reviewers, both positive and negative, explain much better than I did about digital/analog conversion and why the cable won't work in most situations. Maybe this cable would work in this situation, but it's a gamble!
Jun 10, 2007
112 posts
15 upvotes
placed an order for the 8GB version with aliexpress, now the long wait before seeing how this thing performs
Jul 9, 2007
474 posts
24 upvotes
Anyone use Aliexpress with a credit card? Or have much buying history with Aliexpress? They're offereing a $5 coupon for new members using Mastercard.
Deal Addict
May 3, 2008
4345 posts
230 upvotes
So did anyone test out a live sports stream or a live channel from atdhe or somewhere or a putlocker link or even an official Global or CTV type full show to see if the video works without choppiness?

Was planning to go with a blu-ray player with a built in flash browser but might instead get an android stick + cheap blu ray player to do the same thing.
It takes an ocean not to break
Nov 19, 2005
765 posts
86 upvotes
gromitlad wrote:
Oct 20th, 2012 2:58 pm
Wow, you surprised me with that link! :) Did not think such an animal existed. CTY doesn't have much of a description or any user reviews, but perhaps it's like this cable at Amazon, which apparently is meant to carry analog signals over hdmi to an analog device. It does not convert the signal. The two top reviewers, both positive and negative, explain much better than I did about digital/analog conversion and why the cable won't work in most situations. Maybe this cable would work in this situation, but it's a gamble!
that cable dosnt do squat, i looked into it before, you need a converter box to use this thing which also costs about 150.
Deal Expert
Apr 30, 2003
24043 posts
4127 upvotes
Toronto
nelsonmp5 wrote:
Oct 22nd, 2012 12:10 am
Anyone use Aliexpress with a credit card? Or have much buying history with Aliexpress? They're offereing a $5 coupon for new members using Mastercard.
Alibaba (Aliexpress) is a pretty big well known company, a competitor to eBay and well known in China for the international wholesale market. They're releasing a tablet and their own OS.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/22/alib ... investment
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2004
4927 posts
895 upvotes
so... if one of the USB ports is needed to power the device and one is needed for an input device such as a mouse, are you limited to the microSD slot to play media etc? That doesnt sound very handy to me.
× < >