Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Aliexpress

Umidigi A5 Pro smartphone ~$120

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 4th, 2021 5:38 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2011
1535 posts
1256 upvotes
Hamilton
For me, the A3Pro ended up in a drawer with the other junk phones that I will give to the grandkids to play with when they come over.
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
macthehoser wrote: I would pay more to get a Xiaomi if Xiaomi works with Freedom.
Depends on which Xiaomi you are looking at, mi A2 does for both voice and data (just not on B66)
https://www.reddit.com/r/freedommobile/ ... omi_mi_a2/
But again it's about 50% more, so not exactly apples to apples.
Nov 23, 2018
612 posts
842 upvotes
Underground Bunker
I m not gonna buy Xiaomi again unless things has changed. I have a Redmi note 3 Pro for 2 years and it has only problems with sensor/crashes and the performance is not that good.
It was 220usd now it is 180usd and my one pro is about the same price and I am far more happier with it.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
ol2006 wrote: Guys, are you seriously considering this knock off garbage? Pay a little more for a real deal like Xiaomi.
I have a couple Xiaomi devices.
I'd rather pay less. Xiaomi was a huge regret for me.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2015
2104 posts
2931 upvotes
Roxboro, QC
death_hawk wrote: I have a couple Xiaomi devices.
Really? Why? I have bought 3 and they are amazing and very well supported..
Deal Guru
Mar 5, 2007
10213 posts
11273 upvotes
macthehoser wrote: Now I'm confused. Which band does this mi A2 have and the other Xiaomi/Redmi phones don't to make it work with Freedom?
No B66 or B13 LTE on all but the most expensive ($500+ Xiaomi phones).

Many don't have B4 3G/HSPA, making it impossible to make calls.

Some don't have B4 LTE, making it useless in Canada.
Deal Guru
Dec 2, 2008
12459 posts
2170 upvotes
GTA
mikka2017 wrote: battery life is better then iphone 8+ for sure, 2 days at least before i need a charge...SOT is around 6-7hrs dpending on brightness level..i usually have it at 75%
SOT??
Deal Guru
Dec 2, 2008
12459 posts
2170 upvotes
GTA
luckystrike1 wrote: For me, the A3Pro ended up in a drawer with the other junk phones that I will give to the grandkids to play with when they come over.
a3 pro. whats ur usage for the phone? what did u replace it with?
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
macthehoser wrote: Now I'm confused. Which band does this mi A2 have and the other Xiaomi/Redmi phones don't to make it work with Freedom?
That reddit freedom thread specifically mentions A2 (working voice/sms/data) vs A1 (no voice but working data/SMS)

A1 bands:

Code: Select all

GSM:  B2/B3/B5/B8
UMTS:  B1/B2/B5/B8
FDD-LTE: B1/B3/B5
TDD-LTE: B40/B41(2555-2655MHz)
A2 bands:

GSM:B2/B3/B5/B8 
WCDMA:B1/B2/B4/B5/B8 
LTE FDD:B1/B2/B3/B4/B5/B7/B8/B20
LTE TDD:B38/B40
So as the linked thread detailed, it comes to WCDMA B4 and LTE FDD B4/B7 (being supported by A2 and not A1).
Blanket statements are huge oversight when proper information is readily available!
Deal Expert
Jan 12, 2017
23019 posts
6892 upvotes
Scarberia
justrelaxok wrote: I had the exact opposite experience with my Umidigi F1 Play. Albeit more expensive than the one discussed in this thread, but not an expensive phone by any means. The only issues i have with the F1 Play are the fingerprint reader and the gestures, everything else is top notch. It's essentially a sub $250 oneplus 6 with a larger battery. The battery lasts me two days, the phone is snappy and has stock android. I upgraded to this phone from a Xiaomi Pocophone F1 (SD845), and I find the UMI just as quick for gaming/daily use.

I bought this phone as well to test it out and will report back when i get it. So far I've been waiting for 40 days.
How’s the camera or face recognition. Fingerprint is horrible unlocks my phone around 30% of the time maybe I didn’t do the scans correctly or try more angles
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
13194 posts
7650 upvotes
Kanata
aasoror wrote: That reddit freedom thread specifically mentions A2 (working voice/sms/data) vs A1 (no voice but working data/SMS)

A1 bands:

GSM:  B2/B3/B5/B8
UMTS:  B1/B2/B5/B8
FDD-LTE: B1/B3/B5
TDD-LTE: B40/B41(2555-2655MHz)
A2 bands:

GSM:B2/B3/B5/B8 
WCDMA:B1/B2/B4/B5/B8 
LTE FDD:B1/B2/B3/B4/B5/B7/B8/B20
LTE TDD:B38/B40
So as the linked thread detailed, it comes to WCDMA B4 and LTE FDD B4/B7 (being supported by A2 and not A1).
Blanket statements are huge oversight when proper information is readily available!
The global version of the A1 did support LTE bands 4 and 7, it did not have WCDMA Band 4 so that is where it would have failed. I owned one and it worked just fine on Koodo/Videotron, and was using Band 4/7 in certain areas.

A1 LTE Bands (Global version)
FDD-LTE B1/B3/B4/B5/B7/B8/B20 TDD-LTE B38/B40
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
goofball wrote: The global version of the A1 did support LTE bands 4 and 7, it did not have WCDMA Band 4 so that is where it would have failed. I owned one and it worked just fine on Koodo/Videotron, and was using Band 4/7 in certain areas.

A1 LTE Bands (Global version)
FDD-LTE B1/B3/B4/B5/B7/B8/B20 TDD-LTE B38/B40
Thanks for the correction, was just copy/pasting from Xiaomi global website. My point still stands nonetheless, disregarding phones for usage on Freedom just because they lack B66 and/or B13 is an oversight, instead, people should do their own research and localize to coverage in their own areas.
Nov 8, 2004
77 posts
38 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
death_hawk wrote: I have a couple Xiaomi devices.
I have had both the Umidigi and Xiaomi and completely disagree with you. The Xiaomi is better quality, less buggy and much more supported.
Nov 8, 2004
77 posts
38 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
justrelaxok wrote: I had the exact opposite experience with my Umidigi F1 Play. Albeit more expensive than the one discussed in this thread, but not an expensive phone by any means. The only issues i have with the F1 Play are the fingerprint reader and the gestures, everything else is top notch. It's essentially a sub $250 oneplus 6 with a larger battery. The battery lasts me two days, the phone is snappy and has stock android. I upgraded to this phone from a Xiaomi Pocophone F1 (SD845), and I find the UMI just as quick for gaming/daily use.

I bought this phone as well to test it out and will report back when i get it. So far I've been waiting for 40 days.
The bigger problem with Umidigi is the firmware updates are now done for your phone. No more security updates. The first firmware for your phone was Apr-10 and last was May-24th. This is like all their other phones... support for a couple months and then they move on.
Deal Guru
Mar 5, 2007
10213 posts
11273 upvotes
aasoror wrote: Thanks for the correction, was just copy/pasting from Xiaomi global website. My point still stands nonetheless, disregarding phones for usage on Freedom just because they lack B66 and/or B13 is an oversight, instead, people should do their own research and localize to coverage in their own areas.
An 'oversight'? No.

FM on a phone without B66 is HORRIBLE, if you care at all about data. B4 on FM is MASSIVELY overburdened. Aside from the fact that there are so many users relying on B4 for LTE (because they use devices that don't support B66), their 3G service (where the higher priority voice calls are) also suck up B4 bandwidth.

B7 is supposed to help, and it does. In fact, in contrary to pretty much every other provider I've analyzed, B7 is NOT the 'default' band to connect to on FM for everybody.

If your device supports B66 you, on most devices, will rarely every see a B7 connection, despite sitting right beside a site serving that band. It seems (and this is a supposition on my part, I've found no OFFICIAL word of this, it's just a behavior I've noticed on 3 separate devices) that FM reserves B7 for devices that don't support B66. I can FORCE a B7 connection on my B66 capable device only by going into the engineering menu. B66 capable devices don't even LIST B7 cell IDs as being available, despite me knowing they are in range and available.

This does makes sense, after all devices stuck on B4 will get dribs and drabs of data on that band, so B7 is their only savior. Problem though with that plan is B7 SUCKS for penetration (not like B4 is great, but it's better then B7). So the moment you get farther away from the site, or go inside, chances are you'll loose you B7 connection. On my 'non B66 device' it holds onto a B7 connection as long as it can, but very often drops to just B4, and that's when even browsing a web page stops working.

B13 is a different animal. If you're in the city B13 is FAR less important than B66. It DOES allow for MUCH better building penetration, but if you're that deep your signal isn't going to be great anyways. No, B13 is critical for more rural areas, on the fringe of FM coverage. It SHINES on say Highway 400 heading north of Toronto. Being longer range means there is less bandwidth to throw around, but there are many times my non B13 device would drop to the "AWAY" network while a B13 capable device would keep with FM B13 (good test was the GO commuter train, Barrie line, just north of the city).

All in, it comes to this: FM's network is not 'great', it pales in comparison to Bellus and Rogers with coverage and penetration. So, as an FM customer who cares about mobile data, WHY would you choose a phone that limits your access to a limited network to begin with? It makes no sense. There are lots of options out there that support B66 and B13 that are comparable in price. Have a look at the NIB market. For example, the LG G5 is dirt cheap to get, and supports FMs network perfectly. Motorola is also a great choice.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
superxxxstud wrote: Really? Why? I have bought 3 and they are amazing and very well supported..
Katso wrote: I have had both the Umidigi and Xiaomi and completely disagree with you. The Xiaomi is better quality, less buggy and much more supported.

Between stupid bootloader unlock issues and general quality issues I'm not buying one again.
My primary device (Mi Pad 4 Plus) wasn't a cheap device either at $500+ after landing.

Granted... I don't have any Umidigis yet so I have no basis of comparison but I do know that Xiaomi won't be on my list of higher end devices any more.
Low end? Maybe. But they're getting killed by competitors in terms of specs.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Expert
Jan 12, 2017
23019 posts
6892 upvotes
Scarberia
rxanderq wrote: What is the coupon code?
Login to ur Ali account or use the app. Don't forget to use ebates
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)