Shopping Discussion

Aliexpress won't refund or send correct item!

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 10th, 2018 5:33 pm
[OP]
Dec 29, 2012
432 posts
70 upvotes
Scarborough

Aliexpress won't refund or send correct item!

So I bought a GREY men's vest from a seller on Aliexpress. He sent me a brown one. When I contacted him for an exchange or refund, he said he'd send another one when I returned the wrong one, but will not send me a return envelope or agree to pay return shipping fees. I opened a dispute and uploaded the picture. Since then, I've emailed the seller 6 times (over 2 months) and not received a reply. The dispute department keeps telling me to contact the seller to come to an agreement or they will close the case.

Seems like they help their local sellers more than they help buyers in Canada, so beware! Why should I pay return shipping fees as they sent me the wrong item? Amazon is a bit more expensive but at least I've experienced ethical return policies with them. Jack Ma is too busy trying to be a martial arts filmstar (unsuccessfully) to care about his business now that's he's so rich!
23 replies
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
16340 posts
1405 upvotes
Space for rent
Couldn't you use PayPal to dispute. I think AliExpress doesn't use PayPal but bangood does.

Price you pay for using AliExpress I suppose. I have been burnt in the past but that's just how it goes with AliExpress. Hit or miss.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7342 posts
1295 upvotes
Talk to chat line, try to get to a person, say you can't come to an agreement with seller and they will elevate the case to better dispute handier hopefully.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
1109 posts
360 upvotes
London
if u paid by cc file a charge back.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
4526 posts
1588 upvotes
What's your member level? Initially I had problems winning disputes but now that I'm a higher member level I win every time.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
15365 posts
3225 upvotes
Toronto
If they sent the wrong color the dispute should go in your favor and you can keep the item.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
2671 posts
640 upvotes
Whitehorse, YT
According to Ali's Terms and Conditions, you get Buyer Protection if "the item you received was damaged, defective, or substantially different from the item represented on the product detail page."

Is "wrong colour" substantially different?
Oct 30, 2011
10 posts
2 upvotes
Winnipeg
I agree with the credit card charge back. If not that route, Ali should resolve in your favor when the time to resolve with seller runs out. I have won over 20 disputes this year ... almost all of them when the time to resolve with seller runs out. Good luck.
[OP]
Dec 29, 2012
432 posts
70 upvotes
Scarborough
Thanks all for your input. I chatted with a chat rep for 20 minutes 2 days ago (she was in the Philippines so they've outsourced) and was trying her best to help, but she can't force the seller to react. Hopefully she can escalate, else when case closes in 3 days, I'll file a cc charge back. I'm only a gold member as I've made small purchases over the past 2 years - some were trashy quality but at least they arrived to spec (knew from price they would be cheaply made). Service from the sellers seems to be getting worse as more and more join ...
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
8843 posts
3056 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Catnippy wrote:
Jul 14th, 2018 11:30 am
Thanks all for your input. I chatted with a chat rep for 20 minutes 2 days ago (she was in the Philippines so they've outsourced) and was trying her best to help, but she can't force the seller to react. Hopefully she can escalate, else when case closes in 3 days, I'll file a cc charge back. I'm only a gold member as I've made small purchases over the past 2 years - some were trashy quality but at least they arrived to spec (knew from price they would be cheaply made). Service from the sellers seems to be getting worse as more and more join ...
Wow! Aliexpress is getting to be more international if they outsourced to the Philippines for customer support. As for forcing the seller, they can as long as they haven't paid the seller yet. The whole aliexpress model is one where aliexpress acts as a middleman who the buyer pays and holds the payment to seller until the payment is released by buyer when they receive the order.
Oct 9, 2011
250 posts
63 upvotes
I thought there's a time frame given to the seller to try to solve the issue. Aliexpress will step in after that time frame, and I think they most likely will give you a full refund.

I am not familar with CC chargeback, but if I am not mistaken, even with CC chargeback, they require you to send back the wrong item before they will give you a refund, buyer is required to pay return shipping even though it's not your fault. Same with paypal, if you received wrong or defected item, you need to send the item before for a refund just that a lot of times paypal (and ebay) will rule on buyer's favour when international shipping is too expensive.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
1109 posts
360 upvotes
London
jjesskaka wrote:
Jul 14th, 2018 3:20 pm
I thought there's a time frame given to the seller to try to solve the issue. Aliexpress will step in after that time frame, and I think they most likely will give you a full refund.

I am not familar with CC chargeback, but if I am not mistaken, even with CC chargeback, they require you to send back the wrong item before they will give you a refund, buyer is required to pay return shipping even though it's not your fault. Same with paypal, if you received wrong or defected item, you need to send the item before for a refund just that a lot of times paypal (and ebay) will rule on buyer's favour when international shipping is too expensive.
all depends on the cc company and the amount ur disputing. alot of times with low amounts the cc company wont even bother to look into it and just credit u.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
4526 posts
1588 upvotes
There are actually different terms for different stores, e.g.,

"Returns accepted if product not as described, buyer pays return shipping fee; or keep the product & agree refund with seller."
vs.
"No return necessary if product not as described, agree refund with seller"

Also I do believe they treat you more humanely the higher your member level (earn points for logging in 10X a month, for making purchases over USD$2 and leaving feedback.) I bought an item that was supposed to be leather under the first set of terms but received an immediate refund when I disputed the transaction - AFTER I had already confirmed receipt and left positive feedback. So they can claw back your payment after it has been released if necessary. I think what happens has a lot to do with member level anyway because they treated me like a bandit when I was Silver and now I have no service complaints at all at Platinum. Last dispute was settled within 12 hours in my favour.
[OP]
Dec 29, 2012
432 posts
70 upvotes
Scarborough
2+ months ago, I contacted the seller to send me a return envelope so I can send back the wrong item and (1) get a refund or (2) get an exchange for the right one. I uploaded a picture of the wrong one, but he won't reply to my messages, so I opened a dispute but nothing was done. That's why I contacted AE via chat. I don't see in the T&C's that I have to pay return shipping when it's not my fault. I've only paid return shipping when I don't like an item and I buy from many companies online including Walmart, Costco, Bay and lots on Amazon.

Oh well, if I don't get a refund, I'll give the vest away and never buy from AE again (not that they'll miss me because I'm sure a lot of buyers just accept being defrauded).
Deal Addict
May 23, 2003
2200 posts
263 upvotes
Ebay or Amazon... I wont use anything else

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)