Expired Hot Deals

[AliExpress] Xiaomi Redmi 5 Plus Global Version - $200(CAD)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 31st, 2018 1:18 pm
[OP]
Dec 26, 2010
139 posts
55 upvotes

Xiaomi Redmi 5 Plus Global Version - $200(CAD)

Deal Link:
Price:
Expiry:
February 22, 2018
Retailer:
AliExpress
So i was looking for a replacement cell phone to replace my dead Nexus 6P and came across this
It is the Global Version.

I was initially looking at the Redmi Note 4 (Global Version), but I think this may be a better option (for $25 more)
Newer phone, larger screen, snapdragon 625, 4000MaH, 2160x1080

I believe it has the bands we need in Canada (as per my research). I'm with Rogers so Band 4 and 7 has LTE covered for the most part

What do you guys think?
107 replies
Aug 29, 2011
94 posts
56 upvotes
Ontario
Remember that software is the other half of the equation so it depends on how you feel about MIUI because LineageOS is not yet officially available. Usually it take 6mo-1y for this to happen, but maybe different this time around given project treble. The note 4 already has unofficial treble support.
[OP]
Dec 26, 2010
139 posts
55 upvotes
I was actually thinking of running with MIUI.
From the reviews I read it seems pretty nice.
Feb 18, 2017
7 posts
7 upvotes
Prince George, BC
I went from a 6P to a Redmi Note 4 (very similar specs to this one):
  • The battery life is amazing, it was tough to kill in a day and I consider myself a heavy user of my phone.
  • MIUI was ok, but I found it a little too aggressive in terminating background process (e.g. running app with music in the background, music app would die randomly).
  • build quality was really good
  • camera quality was poor
You really can't go wrong for this price I don't think. I ended up giving this one to my daughter when my hardware upgrade period came up. While software upgrades came fast and often, nothing beats the Nexus/Pixels on that front so I went to a Pixel XL. When the battery on this one starts going though, I will probably pick up one of these for a temporary fix.
Jun 4, 2016
120 posts
91 upvotes
Seems like a pretty nice phone.
The guy that made the video is from Ontario.
Aug 9, 2007
438 posts
145 upvotes
Got the Xiaomi Mi4 3 years ago, still works as new, and just got the MIUI 9 update. Which other company (Apple, Google, etc.) updates your phone after 3+ years? Samsung, LG, stops after one year because they want you to buy their new phones. Background app control can be aggressive to get good battery performance, but can also be configured flexibly.
Very happy with Xiaomi and will likely get another one if this one weren't working so well after 3 years!
Feb 4, 2007
293 posts
103 upvotes
Went from Nexus 6P to a Xiaomi Mi A1. It runs stock Android as is on the AndroidOne program from Google, so fast updates. Highly recommend it and it's also around $200 USD.
[OP]
Dec 26, 2010
139 posts
55 upvotes
this one is actually $200 Canadian :)
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2010
1813 posts
442 upvotes
Ottawa
tsuda wrote:
Feb 18th, 2018 9:13 pm
Got the Xiaomi Mi4 3 years ago, still works as new, and just got the MIUI 9 update. Which other company (Apple, Google, etc.) updates your phone after 3+ years? Samsung, LG, stops after one year because they want you to buy their new phones. Background app control can be aggressive to get good battery performance, but can also be configured flexibly.
Very happy with Xiaomi and will likely get another one if this one weren't working so well after 3 years!
I got the Redmi 3S Prime about 1 year ago. It got updated to MiUI 9, but still running on Android 6. And too many reports of battery drain and bugs. The MiUI 9 didn't even give the newest security updates. Pretty much the 3S section on the MIUI forum is just full of people with regrets. I don't care so much about updates, but every time they do a MIUI update they introduce more bugs than fixes.

One thing is the battery life is good (wasn't as good after the first MIUI update tho)
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
2892 posts
1131 upvotes
Westmount (Montreal)
It got great reviews.

Too bad I'm not in the market, it look great for the price.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
1561 posts
944 upvotes
nicktech wrote:
Feb 18th, 2018 6:55 pm
So i was looking for a replacement cell phone to replace my dead Nexus 6P and came across this
It is the Global Version.

I was initially looking at the Redmi Note 4 (Global Version), but I think this may be a better option (for $25 more)
Newer phone, larger screen, snapdragon 625, 4000MaH, 2160x1080

I believe it has the bands we need in Canada (as per my research). I'm with Rogers so Band 4 and 7 has LTE covered for the most part

What do you guys think?
Looks fantastic. Only band support concern I'd have is oddly it doesn't support B5 (850) on 2G, very bizarre these days. That said it does support B5 for 3G and 4G, so I doubt this limitation would ever come to bear. Plus this only impact Rogers customers, the Bellus network has no 2G service.

Any word on the camera quality? Would love to find out what sensor it uses and some comparison photos?
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2008
3648 posts
512 upvotes
Windsor
MIUI is fine, only complaint is the Android version tends to lag behind a version.
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
19982 posts
131909 upvotes
GTA
With Xiaomi, the specs/physical build quality are very good considering the price you pay, but note that I am now dealing with a year-old Max model that since the MIUI 9.2.1.0 update, A) suffers from severe battery drain, and B) shuts off randomly (even when there is supposedly plenty of juice left). I have not determined if this is actually a worn battery at this point or just a fault of the update, but either way, unfortunately it has soured me on this brand for the moment.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2010
1813 posts
442 upvotes
Ottawa
toguy wrote:
Feb 18th, 2018 10:27 pm
With Xiaomi, the specs/physical build quality are very good considering the price you pay, but note that I am now dealing with a year-old Max model that since the MIUI 9.2.1.0 update, A) suffers from severe battery drain, and B) shuts off randomly (even when there is supposedly plenty of juice left). I have not determined if this is actually a worn battery at this point or just a fault of the update, but either way, unfortunately it has soured me on this brand for the moment.
The MIUI forums are rife with ppl having battery drain and slow charging in the Redmi 3S section after they updated to MIUI 9. Personally I like MIUI because it has the scrolling screenshot, and the dual apps feature. I got 2 wechats and 2 instagram accounts going :)

Xiaomi has great quality and specs for the price. But the updates really seem to be hit or miss. I would say buy it and don't assume there will be great updates (unless it is the A1).

At $200, it seems like a good price for a new phone.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2012
5110 posts
2034 upvotes
Winnipeg
What is the best payment method for ali? Can I use paypal?
What is the best shipping method? I am not pressed for time.
TIA