Food & Drink

Are all the frozen fish & chips sold are fake fish?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 5th, 2017 6:07 pm
[OP]
Temp. Banned
Dec 2, 2007
889 posts
97 upvotes
Toronto

Are all the frozen fish & chips sold are fake fish?

Are all the frozen fish & chips sold at supermarket fake?

there was a study done to test the real content of Canadian cod and it found the fish to be just cat fish from China.
18 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2005
2850 posts
377 upvotes
Toronto
Yes. And the chips are actually made from turnips and parsnips, not potatoes.

Sad.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
8563 posts
1443 upvotes
Toronto
Well, at least not plastic.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
15062 posts
2912 upvotes
Toronto
I doubt Blue water and Captain High liner would ever do anything to hurt their good name, but other brands or maybe even store brand might be where the problem is...???
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
6233 posts
2649 upvotes
Cheap fish is usually pollock and then it's probably even Canadian.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20428 posts
4383 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Op, the crab meat they sell to make sushi is made from fish.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
6025 posts
448 upvotes
BC
Fake fish? or just not cod? Even restaurants here dont always use cod for their fish and chips.
That's my 2cents worth
Mar 24, 2015
895 posts
296 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
I once saw a video that shows people in Vietnam (or maybe Thailand) injecting some kind of gel into prawns to make them bigger and heavier (sold by weight). The gel comes from China and no one knows what's in it.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
5867 posts
2240 upvotes
picard12 wrote: Are all the frozen fish & chips sold at supermarket fake?

there was a study done to test the real content of Canadian cod and it found the fish to be just cat fish from China.
This is a very good question. I also think we should be wondering about the plastic content of fish as well. However, in terms of your question, I think that when the fish is not described as cod or halibut, it is most likely a low quality fish like pollock or something similar. No one ever advertises this on the packaging but you will see it listed in the ingredients. However, when you get into the more expensive frozen fish like some of the Highliner products, it will actually say the type of fish like "salmon", "cod", "tilapia", etc. in which case you can trust it is not something else. These products usually cost more but I guess you get what you pay for.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
8995 posts
3294 upvotes
Toronto
could some, not all, companies be using a cheaper fish than what's indicated on the label? for sure.
as for "fake" fish, are you thinking along the lines of something like this?
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
[OP]
Temp. Banned
Dec 2, 2007
889 posts
97 upvotes
Toronto
Well. I am not a referring to rubber fish. I am surprised that the fish came from China according to the test. It is supposed to be Canadian cod.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
6233 posts
2649 upvotes
I think most of the cheap Canadian cod you get is Pacific cod from the west and not Atlantic from the east. People get excited about what is going on down east but they have cod on the left coast too.

You can buy both in the grocery store but Atlantic is less common/more pricey.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
25965 posts
11390 upvotes
ckay1980 wrote: I once saw a video that shows people in Vietnam (or maybe Thailand) injecting some kind of gel into prawns to make them bigger and heavier (sold by weight). The gel comes from China and no one knows what's in it.
No injection needed.
it's sodium phosphate. It gets absorbed in quite easily and retains water weight.

Read your ingredients. A ridiculous amount of shrimp has phosphates and they are all terrible.