Dec 8, 2003
44 posts
4 upvotes
Off the Grid

All-in-One (AIO) Computer Deals

I upgrade my personal laptop yearly, decided it's time to get an All-in-One
(AIO) desktop
as it just fits perfectly for the type of work I am doing these
days. Don't need the portability that much, but I do like to bring it to the cabin
to watch movies and so on... This thread will be used to highlight the top deals
this year for AIO computers in order to track my research and possibly help you
make a decision as well.

Option 1
Product: tbd
Retailer: tbd
Sale Price: tbd

Option 2

Option 3

Minimum specifications: 23" Widescreen; HDMI connection

You are welcome to add deals and opinions to this
thread and will be more than happy to keep this
first post up to date with the latest details.

Disclosure: I am a certified warranty tech for most major computer
platforms and I do work for them as a contractor via various contracts.
However, I don't get any discounts nor do I get free products, I have
to walk in a store and pay the same price as everybody else. I do know
what "we" techs hate fixing in the shop, what breaks down more often
and what to avoid and will be using that experience to make a sound
decision to pick a new machine. If you are a computer geek already,
nothing here will be of help to you, if you wish you had a computer
geek friend to help you figure this out, just follow the thread and we
can sort this out together and get the best deal for your buck! The
bottom line is that I am cheap cheap cheap and I want the most
machine I can get for the least amount of cash... let the deals begin!
6 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2007
2138 posts
401 upvotes
Toronto, L6A
Are you planning to upgrade this one yearly as well? Or have it last as long as possible?
I was looking at AIO myself, but instead decided to go with a micro PC box - I don't want to have monitor be part of PC config, in case I want to upgrade one or the other separately.
[OP]
Dec 8, 2003
44 posts
4 upvotes
Off the Grid
Yes, I keep my machines for 2 years tops, kind of like the car guys that keep trading in their cars for newer models, I do the same with my machines and has worked well for me usually only costing me a few extra bucks to upgrade as I re-sell my used ones packed with bonuses and charge a bit more.

Used to be a PC guy and kept adding parts, I can sell you a top of the line PC with the best graphics, best RAM money can get and so on, cost me a fortune and is just sitting there getting no use as it might as well be a Ford model T when it comes to speed, bells and whistles. Because I am *not* a gamer, upgrading is no longer something I even consider when buying a new machine. I always get the exact specs that I want at the time I buy the machine as adding upgrades is more often than not worth it since it adds little value to the machine overall.

I figure 27" is way too big to take it around but 23" is a good size, like getting a larger laptop speed, battery life is not a factor for me but fairly fast and easy portability is my main goal in getting a AIO instead of a laptop.

You should know that I have a media center in my living room and my router has 2TB storage attached to it that I use to store all my files so storage space is also not an issue on this AIO for me. It really will be my main work machine and that's why for the first time in my life I feel that AIO is a better option than both PC and laptop as it contains the best of both worlds. Touchscreen ability adds to the cool factor but I hate fingerprints on my screen and may not use that feature as much as I like to think I would.

Having said that, if I did not have a media center and network storage and this was my only option, most likely would opt with another laptop. I like the idea of a micro PC box but have never found a need for one or even been able to come up with some kind of new project that would justify getting one... If I want to run a presentation, any old machine works just fine so no need to get a micro box for that, same thing for a webserver. I would like to know how you intend to use the box and why you think it's a better option for you? Maybe will give me some ideas I have not thought of?
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2007
2138 posts
401 upvotes
Toronto, L6A
Hey man, that was a simple yes or no question :)

The reasons I opted for a separate microbox are:
a) with AIO, if one major part of the unit fails, pretty much the entire unit has to be scrapped (or sent in for repairs - think about shipping costs)
b) upgrades become costly or impossible. AIO's are compact, but are often shipped with maxed out hardware. You can probably replace stick of RAM or harddrive if you're lucky, but that's about it. If you decide to upgrade CPU, you have to watch for its heat rating, as AIO will generally have a low-power CPU with a pretty small heatsink, not to mention the display itself contained in the same box will produce additional amounts of heat. Microboxes have very similar limitations, but at least you can buy a new box for cheaper than AIO.
c) similar to b), if you decide to upgrade just the monitor, you can't do that. If sometime in the future you decide to go for a larger size with touchscreen capability, again you have to replace entire unit. That means you'll likely pay for OS again (who's selling AIO without one?), and migrate all your settings and files, which can be avoided if your monitor is separated from the actual computer.
d) You get to choose your own monitor (plenty of options compared to AIO desktops). And the microbox can be attached at the bottom of the desk, as if it doesn't exist, and in the end your entire setup will look like AIO. USB extension cable or hub can take care of your on-demand connection options.
[OP]
Dec 8, 2003
44 posts
4 upvotes
Off the Grid
Sorry, I tend to go on and on...
Apr 25, 2006
59 posts
19 upvotes
How about this one?

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/ ... -300626005

What It Is And Why You Need It:

Intel® Core™ i5-3770S 3.10GHz Processor; ensures strong computing experience for the user
8GB DDR3 RAM, expandable to 16GB; enables easy multitasking without effecting the speed of the laptop
2TB SATA Hard Disk Drive; stores all your data, images and videos at one place
23 in. Full HD LED Backlit Multi-Touch Display; offers great visuals without straining your eyes
Touchscreen; provides ease of navigation and control to the user
× < >