• Oct 13th, 2017 12:48 pm
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2015
2218 posts
1282 upvotes
Brampton, ON

All in one printer recommendation

Hi All,

I am looking to get my father a new all in one printer because our HP one has died. We would like a colour all in one but we don't need fax. We prefer laser but inkjet is fine too. Also ink should be cheap or be compatible with aftermarket inks. My budget is max $150.

I am looking at brother ones but they are for the most part out of my budget so can anyone recommend me one?

Thanks
26 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2015
2218 posts
1282 upvotes
Brampton, ON
drdtyc wrote: $150 max cannot buy any colour laser AIO printer.
But there are several Brother colour inkjet AIO printers currently priced below $150.
https://brother-ca.t21830.mozu.com/en/c ... transition

This one is under $100 inclusive of $40 discount.
https://brother-ca.t21830.mozu.com/en/p/MFCJ480DW
I cannot open the links you provided, it says they are unsecured or something but I will continue to browse the Brother website.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2015
2218 posts
1282 upvotes
Brampton, ON
Gee wrote: Save your money and get a laser. The upfront cost will be offset quickly with savings from buying ink.
I would not mind that but in reality he isnt printing much to begin with so I dont know if it justifies the cost of laser.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6979 posts
3250 upvotes
flyingnurse wrote: I would not mind that but in reality he isnt printing much to begin with so I dont know if it justifies the cost of laser.
laser is very low maintenance. Turn it on and it will work, turn it off at will. Do you really want to field calls from your father every 2 weeks saying the stuff he prints has missing lines and have to explain that he must never turn off a ink printer or the nozzle will clog? Then you'll also have to monitor the level of ink in the printer on top of that.

Be nice to yourself and suggest to him a brother laser printer that has cheap 3rd party toner. Do a search on here, and you'll find the same model being on sale every 1-2 months for around $90-110 + tax, well within your budget.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2015
2218 posts
1282 upvotes
Brampton, ON
badOne wrote: laser is very low maintenance. Turn it on and it will work, turn it off at will. Do you really want to field calls from your father every 2 weeks saying the stuff he prints has missing lines and have to explain that he must never turn off a ink printer or the nozzle will clog? Then you'll also have to monitor the level of ink in the printer on top of that.

Be nice to yourself and suggest to him a brother laser printer that has cheap 3rd party toner. Do a search on here, and you'll find the same model being on sale every 1-2 months for around $90-110 + tax, well within your budget.
I know exactly what model you are referring to and I have it. I got it for $80. The issue is that it's monochrome but we need a colour as well.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38325 posts
11873 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
flyingnurse wrote: I would not mind that but in reality he isnt printing much to begin with so I dont know if it justifies the cost of laser.
All the more reason to get a laser.

Inkjets will dry out eventually. Toner doesn't have this problem
Last edited by Gee on Oct 10th, 2017 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2015
2218 posts
1282 upvotes
Brampton, ON
Gee wrote: All the more reason to get a laser.

Inkjets will dry out eventually. Tonner doesn't have this problem
Yes I know the benefits but it's the price that will sting...
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38325 posts
11873 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
flyingnurse wrote: Yes I know the benefits but it's the price that will sting...
A years worth of ink tanks will easily cover the cost of a colour laser.

Spread out the cost over the life of the printer and it will not sting as much.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2009
6134 posts
3607 upvotes
Toronto
Gee wrote: A years worth of ink tanks will easily cover the cost of a colour laser.
Yes, every time an inkjet fires up, it cleans the printing heads, wasting ink.

Keep an eye out for refurbished units @ Brother, Sign up for their emails and get an extra 15% off on your first purchase.

What do you (OP) need colour for anyways? It might be more economical to use a print service if it is only for a few items (e.g. Staples or WalMart photo).

I've got a couple of low use Epson colour inkjets that are pigs on ink cartridges. I'd consider selling one cheap if you are local. Nice printers but we don't use the colour enough.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2015
2218 posts
1282 upvotes
Brampton, ON
ROYinTO wrote: Yes, every time an inkjet fires up, it cleans the printing heads, wasting ink.

Keep an eye out for refurbished units @ Brother, Sign up for their emails and get an extra 15% off on your first purchase.

What do you (OP) need colour for anyways? It might be more economical to use a print service if it is only for a few items (e.g. Staples or WalMart photo).

I've got a couple of low use Epson colour inkjets that are pigs on ink cartridges. I'd consider selling one cheap if you are local. Nice printers but we don't use the colour enough.
Thanks for telling me about the 15% off, I didn't know that. In regards to the need for colour, we print colour once in a while which may make needing colour unnecessary but just having it on hand is what we want.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
4662 posts
1242 upvotes
Toronto
Colour inkjet plus infrequent use are pretty much a "match made in hell". If the goal is to be able to have colour "on hand" (which I take to mean that you want to be able to print colour infrequently but reliably on a moment's notice) then you may be very disappointed in colour inkjet due to the purge cycles and possible clogged heads.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2015
2218 posts
1282 upvotes
Brampton, ON
JHW wrote: Colour inkjet plus infrequent use are pretty much a "match made in hell". If the goal is to be able to have colour "on hand" (which I take to mean that you want to be able to print colour infrequently but reliably on a moment's notice) then you may be very disappointed in colour inkjet due to the purge cycles and possible clogged heads.
Yes, searching everyday it seems that my budget is way under what is required for a laser colour printer...
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
4662 posts
1242 upvotes
Toronto
flyingnurse wrote: Yes, searching everyday it seems that my budget is way under what is required for a laser colour printer...
The initial cost of colour inkjet will be lower, but if you print colour only occasionally, the ongoing cost (consumables) will be much higher.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2015
2218 posts
1282 upvotes
Brampton, ON
Bought this for $274, posted in hot deals too!

Canon ImageCLASS MF632Cdw Colour Wireless Laser Printer
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38325 posts
11873 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
flyingnurse wrote: Bought this for $274, posted in hot deals too!

Canon ImageCLASS MF632Cdw Colour Wireless Laser Printer
$274

I think you did okay. Duplex included. But it sounds like a laser printer and not a multifunction printer.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6979 posts
3250 upvotes
I thought his budget was way below this.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2015
2218 posts
1282 upvotes
Brampton, ON
Gee wrote: $274

I think you did okay. Duplex included. But it sounds like a laser printer and not a multifunction printer.
I really dont think I would have found a better deal than this. It has scan and copy as well, fax is not needed.