All in one printer recommendation

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 13th, 2017 12:48 pm
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2015
2218 posts
1282 upvotes
Brampton, ON
badOne wrote: I thought his budget was way below this.
It was...but it wasnt a reasonable budget for what I wanted
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38327 posts
11873 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
flyingnurse wrote: I really dont think I would have found a better deal than this. It has scan and copy as well, fax is not needed.
Very few places require FAXing. Most people just scan and email.

Don’t lend it to the neighbour.
Sep 12, 2008
242 posts
114 upvotes
Canada
Well I hope the OP has a budget for upfront costs for toner if (s)he's printing in colour. Here are Canadian prices at staples for toner cartridges.

https://www.staples.ca/en/MF632Cdw-imag ... CA_1_20001

Of course you can always do as I do and buy toner/ink on eBay. I pay about 20% of retail and no taxes. It helps feed my hungry copier and inkjet.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38327 posts
11873 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
shplad wrote: Well I hope the OP has a budget for upfront costs for toner if (s)he's printing in colour. Here are Canadian prices at staples for toner cartridges.

https://www.staples.ca/en/MF632Cdw-imag ... CA_1_20001

Of course you can always do as I do and buy toner/ink on eBay. I pay about 20% of retail and no taxes. It helps feed my hungry copier and inkjet.
Even at full retail, it is still cheaper than inkjet when you look at a cost per page
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2654 posts
1461 upvotes
Richmond
I've seen colour laser printers on sale for as little as $100 in pre-Christmas/Boxing Day sales (not AIO at that price, but $150 could be enough). Coincidentally that time of year is coming up, so you might want to wait a couple of months.

Ink jets are more trouble than they are worth for the casual home user who prints once in a while. They waste most of their ridiculously-expensive ink on cleaning cycles if you only print occasionally, and even then they end up clogging the jets so that they print poorly and you eventually have to throw them out.

The most cost-effective strategy is to buy a colour laser printer (or AIO) at the cheapest price you can find, use up the "starter" cartridges, and then throw it out. For a casual home user who doesn't print much, the starter cartridges could last a couple of years, and a laser won't have problems with clogging or wasting toner on cleaning cycles. With the silly way that manufacturers price printers and toner cartridges, it's actually cheaper to get a new printer.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2015
2218 posts
1282 upvotes
Brampton, ON
Faith24 wrote: I've seen colour laser printers on sale for as little as $100 in pre-Christmas/Boxing Day sales (not AIO at that price, but $150 could be enough). Coincidentally that time of year is coming up, so you might want to wait a couple of months.

Ink jets are more trouble than they are worth for the casual home user who prints once in a while. They waste most of their ridiculously-expensive ink on cleaning cycles if you only print occasionally, and even then they end up clogging the jets so that they print poorly and you eventually have to throw them out.

The most cost-effective strategy is to buy a colour laser printer (or AIO) at the cheapest price you can find, use up the "starter" cartridges, and then throw it out. For a casual home user who doesn't print much, the starter cartridges could last a couple of years, and a laser won't have problems with clogging or wasting toner on cleaning cycles. With the silly way that manufacturers price printers and toner cartridges, it's actually cheaper to get a new printer.
Dad kept telling me to get one so I couldn't really wait until Christmas or boxing day. I would say I did well.
Oct 12, 2017
0 posts
I have a Canon Pixma 100. Results were great. Ink costs as much as the printer (after rebates). Bought (cheap) LD Ink (poor quality ink) and threw original cartridges away.