Automotive

For all those people who took part in the 2007 Subaru Van Bortel Group Buy...

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 5th, 2010 1:06 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
May 6, 2005
871 posts
22 upvotes

For all those people who took part in the 2007 Subaru Van Bortel Group Buy...

How is your Subaru doing? (i got a 5 seater Tribeca Limited)
I'm coming up on approaching the 36,000 mile warranty and think the exhaust might be starting to corrode. Other than that, the car is great, and I remember when I got mine, our dollar was above par. Saved a ton.
Are we all still happy with our purchase? I know I am.
Thanks again to the folks that organized that run. I'm still proud to tell people how much we saved.
12 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2003
5181 posts
273 upvotes
I picked up my 2008 Impreza 5 Door with Navi back then and I'm still very happy with it now. I actually contacted Karl last summer to get some accessories for the car and he gave me amazing prices on them. I drove back to Van Bortel to get the stuff and had front and rear skirts instsalled. They still treated me really well and I brought a friend over to test drive some cars and he was surprised at how friendly the VB staff were.

My Impreza is about 20K Miles now and still looks great. I saved a ton of money with the GB and it's too bad Canadians no longer get the incentives. That was definitely the best time to purchase and I'm glad I did. :D
This space for rent.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
3029 posts
852 upvotes
Mississauga
I've picked up an '07 LGT back in '06 before all this Van Bortel hype ;) and am now at 90K miles and car going strong as new. Only thing it required so far is Mobile 1 at every 5K miles. At 100K i will do all he fluids, brakes (maybe), and timing belt. After that looking forward to another 100K miles :) I could not have been happier with Karl and Van Bortel and will go back there for my next car for sure. At the time I saved ~$13500.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
10544 posts
2808 upvotes
Toronto
Great, I want a 2011 STi Sedan next year. Will it be 35K CAD on the OTR? hehe
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
[OP]
May 6, 2005
871 posts
22 upvotes
Good to hear, and sad that VB isn't closer.
Mar 24, 2006
589 posts
4 upvotes
any heads up or tips would be much appreciated.

do i need to pay duties with the subaru?

is it covered by cdn. warranty?

please pm :)
Aug 31, 2003
9 posts
Subaru Canada doe not honour Subaru USA warranty. They will do the work, you pay the CAD dealer, and you submit a claim to Subaru USA. They reimburse based on USA warranty guidelines and rates, not those of CAD dealers.

All imported cars subject to RIV fees, HST etc. Cars made in NA (e.g. Outback) are not subject to duty. Cars manufactured in Japan (e.g. Impreza) are subject to 6.1% duty (before HST).
Jan 18, 2007
240 posts
23 upvotes
Calgary
My Scooby has been very reliable. The only problem I had was the HVAC resistor module going on it ($72 - ouch). Replaced it myself, was out of warranty. :(

Front brakes, Subaru wanted $174 (seriously!) but I got OEM slotted pads for half that. Replaced them myself, free labor.

Oil changes and lube jobs, that's it.

The boxer engine devours oil though. At first I was very alarmed that when I did not check my engine oil frequently I would be shocked to find almost no oil in the car. (Scary moment indeed).

Now I check it frequently and top up when needed. Honestly, I think my quick starts has something to do with it.

I changed my tires as I enjoyed doing AWD drifting in the winter time and burned out my tires after 3 years. The Potenza tires that come with the car are terrible. Too soft.

EDIT: Just wanted to add - the cabin filter is ridiculously expensive ($64 !!!). I've decided to "make my own" and cut another makes down to size. There is no way in hell I will pay that much for a tiny paper filter!
I am the liquor.
Jim Lahey, Sunnyvale Trailer Park Supervisor
It's liquor day Randy.
Nov 27, 2004
991 posts
245 upvotes
huskylord wrote:
Jun 15th, 2010 4:58 pm
36,000 mile warranty and think the exhaust might be starting to corrode.
my 2010 impreza has just under 9K and i can see the corrision forming on the exhaust. i'm starting to think this happens quite easily with all subbies. i now find myself looking at all subbies and noticing rust on the exhaust of even newer models.

btw i never check my engine oil but when i was in for my first maintenance i only had less then 7K on it after 6 months. does the boxer engine really go through oil that quickly should i actually look for this if i'm not making the 8k km every 6 months?
[OP]
May 6, 2005
871 posts
22 upvotes
Agree about the cabin filter.
Turns out my exhaust is fine, it's something else that's rattling that I can't figure out and the sound happens at home and mysteriously not at the dealership.
It's a mystery.
I'll be getting winter tires soon.
Got away with the orginal all seasons last year, but odds are we won't be having the easy winter that happened last year.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2006
1669 posts
164 upvotes
Thornhill
GunnerX wrote:
Jun 16th, 2010 9:17 am
I picked up my 2008 Impreza 5 Door with Navi back then and I'm still very happy with it now. I actually contacted Karl last summer to get some accessories for the car and he gave me amazing prices on them. I drove back to Van Bortel to get the stuff and had front and rear skirts instsalled. They still treated me really well and I brought a friend over to test drive some cars and he was surprised at how friendly the VB staff were.

My Impreza is about 20K Miles now and still looks great. I saved a ton of money with the GB and it's too bad Canadians no longer get the incentives. That was definitely the best time to purchase and I'm glad I did. :D

So your saying that Subaru in US wont sell to Canadians anymore?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2003
5181 posts
273 upvotes
cruisn76 wrote:
Oct 5th, 2010 12:42 pm
So your saying that Subaru in US wont sell to Canadians anymore?

They still sell to Canadians. However, every month they have incentives for buyers like $2,000 off instantly for an Impreza. And that's on top of the already lower price. It used to apply to cars bought by Canadians for import here. But now it no longer applies.
This space for rent.
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2002
4954 posts
64 upvotes
and now VB charges a $500 surcharge for those who export their vehicle to Canada.