Tags:
None
[OP]
Apr 8, 2010
417 posts
126 upvotes
toronto

all weather tires

is this just another marketing ploy and they just renaming all seasons or are these all weather really winter and summer tires in one?
12 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 13, 2004
8040 posts
789 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
They are supposed to be decent. However they are NOT better then dedicated Winter or Dedicated summer tires. So depending on your needs and how much you drive it may or may not be worth it.

denti72 wrote:
Jul 5th, 2017 8:47 am
is this just another marketing ploy and they just renaming all seasons or are these all weather really winter and summer tires in one?
0_o
<_<
>_>
Oct 24, 2016
104 posts
63 upvotes
ON
These tires do carry the snowflake symbol but these are kind of middle of the road for winter, better than the all seasons but not equivalent to winter tires in performance. I am told that in Quebec where winter tires are mandatory, these are accepted as winter tires. In my second car, I put hankook all weather tires and was able to get winter tire discount from my insurance company.
Isn't it great to live in the 21st century where deleting history has become more important than making it.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2007
3570 posts
2220 upvotes
GTA
They're jack of all trades, master of none. They'll be worse than a dedicated winter tire in the winter and worse than a dedicated summer tire/all season in the summer, but better in the reverse situations. ie, better than all season/summer in the winter and better than a winter in the summer.
Oct 31, 2014
233 posts
111 upvotes
Victoria, BC
For areas like the west coast they're perfect. We seldom get much freezing or snow for more than a few days of the year, but we don't get the super hot weather either. Places with more extremes of weather (like lots of ontario) they're less perfect, but still better than all seasons.
Sep 7, 2007
66 posts
13 upvotes
Woodstock
They are legit and legal for winter driving and qualify for insurance discounts. Yes, they're not as good as dedicated winter tires which you shouldn't drive in the summer, but they're way better that "all season" tires. I had Hankook Optimo 4S tires from Canadian Tire on my last car. A separate set of summer and winter tires and wheels would have been way too expensive for the 10,000 klicks I drive a year and would have outlasted the car. I got a really good deal on used winter tires and rims for my current car, so won't need to go the all weather route this time, but I highly recommend it if you drive less that 15k a year and need new tires.
Oct 29, 2008
280 posts
83 upvotes
L4J
I'm using All Weather tires on my Camry and received insurance a winter tires discount
Dec 1, 2003
48 posts
6 upvotes
Any opinions on Hankook KINERGY 4S versus Toyo Celsius? The Hankooks are $160 cheaper for the set.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
5127 posts
980 upvotes
BC
denti72 wrote:
Is this just another marketing ploy? No, not entirely. In fact, it tends to reduce the number of tires sold, doesn't it?

Just renaming all seasons? No, not at all.
All weather tires are essentially built on a winter tire carcass with summer conditions nominally incorporated. A/S tires are regular tires with tread patterns suitable for rainy conditions and somewhat for light snow.

Are these all weather really winter and summer tires in one? Definitely not. No tire can be a summer tire AND a winter tire. But the compromises can be minimized/optimized.

Do a search on previous All Weather Tire topics for good insight and user experience.
Sep 7, 2007
66 posts
13 upvotes
Woodstock
denti72 wrote:
Most definitely not. All weather (4 season) tires need to meet all the criteria of winter tires to earn the mountain with a snowflake sidewall logo, yet still be serviceable in the summer without excessive wear or traction loss. Naturally they're a compromise so won't perform as well as the very best winter tires in the winter or "all season" tires in the summer. "All season" is actually a misnomer because they're barely adequate in winter except in cities when all snow has been cleared.
Oct 26, 2006
671 posts
4 upvotes
my Nokian WRG3 SUV all-weathers perform as expected in the winter. no complains from a winter performance perspective.

having said that, I ended up swapping them for all-seasons (since I received a dedicated winter set after my WRG3 purchase) after 2 full seasons on the WRG3. the road noise was unbearable for me.
Sep 7, 2007
66 posts
13 upvotes
Woodstock
My Hankook Optimo 4S tires made no road noise at all.
Jan 19, 2007
606 posts
171 upvotes
Toronto
afici0nad0 wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 11:52 am
my Nokian WRG3 SUV all-weathers perform as expected in the winter. no complains from a winter performance perspective.

having said that, I ended up swapping them for all-seasons (since I received a dedicated winter set after my WRG3 purchase) after 2 full seasons on the WRG3. the road noise was unbearable for me.
I have Nokian WR2 and no noticeable noise from my side on SUV - caveat is that I came off RFTs tires.
that being said, I notice that on all-weather the cornering at high speed is not that good