• Last Updated:
  • Oct 5th, 2017 3:00 pm
[OP]
Sep 8, 2008
208 posts
36 upvotes
Vancouver, Canada

All Weather tires debate: Kumho or Toyo or some other tires

Hey guys I am kinda in state of decision dilemma (after reaching out to 10 tire installation mechanics for tires, installation quotes and wheel alignment) to choose the All Weather tires for my 2009 Hyundai Accent GLS 4 DR car in the size of 185/65R14. I drilled down to options of Kumho and Toyo tires . Click here I reached out to one mechanic negotiating the prices sending almost 10 emails to match the price and I nailed down to Kumho Solus HA-31 tires. Now, the shop has put me in state of confusion and suggesting to go with T rating Speed tires only as "H rating will be discontinued by Kumho. And replacement in the future will be a T rated tires. ". I called out 1010 tires and according to them "T rating is not safe" if I were to stick with All Weather option because according to 1010 "T" rating tires worns out faster and its not worth the value of money I am putting in.

I can see the rational behind it as why T rating is not long performer and as T rating max speed is till 190 K/hr and H rating tires have 210 K/hr.

Now this has put me in dilemma what the heck shall I go with where one mechanic says "T rating" is not safe and the other agent is suggesting "H" will be discontinued and so "T" is the only option. Can some tire experts or insiders throw ideas what I need to be doing now. Is Kumho or other tire manufacturers really going to get rid of "H" rating tires?
If this topic seems to benefit RFDers then Upvote the original post by clicking on Upvote button located next to the topic title on top section of the post.
9 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2013
1671 posts
1185 upvotes
Ottawa
The shop is giving you bullshit. T-rated tires are perfectly fine for average cars, I believe a lot of non-performance cars from the factory come with T-rated tires. No one will ever be driving 190km/h on Canadian roads (legally at least). The T-rated tires will also last longer.
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
13506 posts
2097 upvotes
Toronto
How much are the Nokian WR G3? They will offer better wet traction compared to the Toyo.

The issue you will find with a small car is that you need very grippy winter tires to really dig into the snow. The all weather tires would probably fair better on bigger heavier cars.

Car Batteries - FAQ, General Information, Tips & Tricks

My Cell Phone Providers: Koodo Mobile and Zoomer Wireless
[OP]
Sep 8, 2008
208 posts
36 upvotes
Vancouver, Canada
iflyplanes wrote:
Oct 4th, 2017 8:14 pm
The shop is giving you bullshit. T-rated tires are perfectly fine for average cars, I believe a lot of non-performance cars from the factory come with T-rated tires. No one will ever be driving 190km/h on Canadian roads (legally at least). The T-rated tires will also last longer.
How do T rated compare when it comes to Tread wearout v/s the H rating ones
If this topic seems to benefit RFDers then Upvote the original post by clicking on Upvote button located next to the topic title on top section of the post.
[OP]
Sep 8, 2008
208 posts
36 upvotes
Vancouver, Canada
bartium wrote:
Oct 4th, 2017 8:25 pm
Toyo over kumho any day.
Can you justify that?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2013
5513 posts
2073 upvotes
redflagdeals.com
bartium wrote:
Oct 4th, 2017 8:25 pm
Toyo over kumho any day.
I don't really believe that Toyo is leaps and bounds over Kumho. Kumho also has some good budget/economical products, whereas I find Toyo tires are priced a bit higher relative to their actual performance.
A wise RFD'er once said, "Buy now, think later."
I like wearing tinfoil hats.

¯\_(-.-)_/¯

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ "Behold!"
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2013
5513 posts
2073 upvotes
redflagdeals.com
hightech wrote:
Oct 4th, 2017 8:36 pm
How much are the Nokian WR G3? They will offer better wet traction compared to the Toyo.
For that tire size, Kal Tire charges:

$109/tire for the Nordman WR: http://www.kaltire.com/en/tires/nordman ... cgid=tires

$140/tire for the Nokian WR G3: http://www.kaltire.com/en/tires/wrg3/15 ... cgid=tires
A wise RFD'er once said, "Buy now, think later."
I like wearing tinfoil hats.

¯\_(-.-)_/¯

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ "Behold!"
Oct 15, 2006
1 posts
1 upvote
iflyplanes wrote:
Oct 4th, 2017 8:14 pm
The number 1 rated tire for regular all season tires (not UHP) 2017consumer reports was the michelin defender T&H!
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2013
1671 posts
1185 upvotes
Ottawa
perfectcritic wrote:
Oct 4th, 2017 9:08 pm
How do T rated compare when it comes to Tread wearout v/s the H rating ones
T-rated tires will have less tread wear than the H-rated one. As the speed rating goes up, so does tread wear.