None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2005
6071 posts
368 upvotes
Waterloo

Allergy Medicine which one?

Benadryl Allergy are they any good? my wife has alot of problems with allergies and the one she has now is too dam expensive and does the 24 hour ones really work?

25mg

there is also one is 50mg

Here is link

http://well.ca/categories/allergy-sinus ... e_591.html

for 50 tablets for 14.00 u cant beat it sinse we paid for 12 for 20.00 lol
Share:
28 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2007
3395 posts
143 upvotes
It depends on the person. For me, Benadryl works but its one of the few medicines that will make me ridiculously drowsy; and Reactin is non-drowsy but when I take it I get its two side-effects - drowsiness and dry throat. :(
Deal Addict
Jul 28, 2005
3237 posts
18 upvotes
There are four really common "second-generation" over the counter allergy medications. The earlier allergy medications tend to cause drowsiness at much higher rates than the second generation.

cetirizine (Reactine)
loratadine (Claritin)
desloratadine (Aerius)
fexofenadine (Allegra)

Studies have shown that cetirizine (Reactine) relieves allergies for the largest percentage of people (of the second generation drugs). But it also has the largest amount of people who experience drowsiness from the second-generation drugs. (Even if they take the non-drowsy version.)

But of course, everyone if different and is going to react differently to the different medications. So, you're really going to have to test to see if it works well for your wife. There's no real way to determine in advance how she is going to react.

(Note: I am not a medical health professional. I just have really bad allergies. :) )
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2005
6071 posts
368 upvotes
Waterloo
thanks reactine does not work for my wife were on aeruis right now lol
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
26844 posts
405 upvotes
Ottawa
sassysue wrote:
Jul 18th, 2009 9:05 pm
..... my wife ....0 lol
dang., I always wondered if you were a xy or xx. Now we know!
●unlim CDN air&msging●unlim Global SMS●CD/VM●6Gb●$50
~Twitter~ ~Instagram~
[Suck it Trebeck]
100% BST & Heatware Trader since 2005
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2007
2732 posts
1 upvote
Ontario, CANADA
asdfvcx wrote:
Jul 18th, 2009 9:40 pm
There are four really common "second-generation" over the counter allergy medications. The earlier allergy medications tend to cause drowsiness at much higher rates than the second generation.

cetirizine (Reactine)
loratadine (Claritin)
desloratadine (Aerius)
fexofenadine (Allegra)

Studies have shown that cetirizine (Reactine) relieves allergies for the largest percentage of people (of the second generation drugs). But it also has the largest amount of people who experience drowsiness from the second-generation drugs. (Even if they take the non-drowsy version.)

But of course, everyone if different and is going to react differently to the different medications. So, you're really going to have to test to see if it works well for your wife. There's no real way to determine in advance how she is going to react.

(Note: I am not a medical health professional. I just have really bad allergies. :) )
thanks for this post.

i am using claritin and thinking of switching to something stronger.
also, i wanted to point out that I know of people who are on prescription allergy medicine.
Would you be willing to pay $58 more for an iPod produced in North America?

My Answer: NO. I get the same Ipod with the same functionality...where is the the benefit to me? As, I've said before, I will get more out of my $58 dollars by lighting it on fire, because it will produce heat. If I wipe my a$$ with that $58 dollars, I will need to buy less toilet paper. IF I buy the made in North America Ipod for $58 more, I get absolutely nothing more out of it.
Deal Addict
May 29, 2005
3846 posts
79 upvotes
Hamilton
Hmmm...i take the generic Loratidine & find it works fine with no drowsyness....although i cut it in half sometimes. :|

walmart & zellers sells them.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 17, 2006
5309 posts
273 upvotes
I tried everything: Reactin, Benedryl, Claritin, etc. etc. and nothing works for me! :( I heard that bee pollen are really good.
;)
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
18563 posts
1008 upvotes
sassysue wrote:
Jul 18th, 2009 9:05 pm
Benadryl Allergy are they any good? my wife has alot of problems with allergies and the one she has now is too dam expensive and does the 24 hour ones really work?

25mg

there is also one is 50mg

Here is link

http://well.ca/categories/allergy-sinus ... e_591.html

for 50 tablets for 14.00 u cant beat it sinse we paid for 12 for 20.00 lol
Benadryl works but it *WILL* make you sleepy.In fact the ingredient is the exact same ting that Sleep-Ezze and other sleeping pills have in them.

If you are a nighttime allergy sufferer, it is ideal. Just take one before bed.

But if you need daytime relief, I would recommend Reactine, it is the one I have had most success with. Also, don't by the name brand - just get the no-name brand of the same thing. It is like 1/2 the price and the exact same drug. Look for Cetirizine tablets.
sonic wrote:
Jul 19th, 2009 1:36 am
Hmmm...i take the generic Loratidine & find it works fine with no drowsyness....although i cut it in half sometimes. :|

walmart & zellers sells them.
For those who do not know, Loratadine == Claratin.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Jan 4, 2006
503 posts
3 upvotes
North of Toronto
Different people will have different reactions to each med, so you have to find what one works for you. I have the best luck with Reactine. It works, and I don't get any side effects from it. I just use the generic brands.

As others said, Benadryl is great for taking at night time. It will knock me out cold during the day though.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2003
3189 posts
38 upvotes
Mississauga
molala wrote:
Jul 19th, 2009 5:26 am
I tried everything: Reactin, Benedryl, Claritin, etc. etc. and nothing works for me! :( I heard that bee pollen are really good.
That's why I went to allergy shots two years ago. It's the smartest move I've ever made. Life changing, seriously.
RenegadeX wrote:
Apr 22nd, 2009 1:29 am
[*]They may be small, but they poop too. And they'll poop in your towel.
Feb 13, 2004
480 posts
27 upvotes
Vancouver
Get her a neti pot or some other type of nasal rinse. All my life I have had bad out of control allergies. Finally this year I tried out the neti pot and have to say it works 95% of the time. If I feel its still not then I pop a reactant.

Its hard to get ahold of one ever since Dr. Oz and Oprah raved about it.
Deal Expert
Mar 27, 2007
15606 posts
561 upvotes
Niagara Falls
I've got bad allergies around March to August. I've tried Aerius, Clariton, Reactine, none seem to work. Otrivin gives me temporary relief (12-24 hours usually) but I get very lethargic after a few days use and have to stop.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2007
1128 posts
34 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
have you tried plain old diphenhydramine?

100 tablets for $15 from Shoppers (Life Brand Allergy Formula)

works for almost 24 hours for me, but i have mild allergies.
× < >