Automotive

Allstate tried to cut off auto insurance sales to drivers in Brampton, lawsuit claims

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 23rd, 2018 11:27 am
60 replies
Jul 5, 2004
23700 posts
3209 upvotes
I don't blame them, even though I understand it's not legal.

With nothing in writing (as per the article) she's going to have an awfully tough time proving any of this
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
20998 posts
10412 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Can’t blame them. Tons of people driving like they’re in the old country.

It’s like, hey douchebag, you’re not in the old country anymore.
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao
Deal Addict
Jun 25, 2005
2007 posts
953 upvotes
Ottawa
"It was very clearly said, in so many words, that there is a lot of fraud that happens in Brampton. That there is a very high number of claims and a very high number of fraudulent claims," she said in an interview from her home in Rockwood, Ont., near Guelph.
My coworker's banker told him that mortgage fraud is rampant in Brampton. I can't blame companies for wanting to avoid the place.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
10564 posts
9739 upvotes
Oakville
So insurance companies are forced to sell their product in all markets? So much for free market.
Still, if they wanted to reduce their risk in Brampton, why wouldn't they just jack up their rates there? It'll either cover the fraud or essentially stop sales in the area because they wouldn't be competitive.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
5851 posts
3827 upvotes
Richmond Hill
13 years of working in the insurance industry and this is the first time discrimination has come up?
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
2101 posts
2149 upvotes
GTA
When did she get terminated? Is $600k in damages reasonable? Salary? Lost benefits for her health problems?
Deal Addict
May 11, 2009
4340 posts
1237 upvotes
Debtario
Sounds like sour grapes for being fired, then again we're all "brand ambassadors" these days so if you march out of goosestep with your employer the consequences can be unfortunate.

"However, increases and decreases to insurance premiums are regulated by the Financial Services Commission of Ontario (FISCO) — a company cannot unilaterally change rates" LOL, fell out of my chair when I read that. If that's the case, it's they can't change the rates without permission, but when they want to change rates they'll always receive permission.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
11999 posts
2458 upvotes
RFD
Brampton in the news for the wrong reasons is par for the course.
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
16797 posts
2581 upvotes
Toronto
Shaner wrote:
Dec 15th, 2018 10:56 pm
I don't blame them, even though I understand it's not legal.

With nothing in writing (as per the article) she's going to have an awfully tough time proving any of this
Is it actually not legal? Managing risk is an insurance company's entire reason for existing. This just seems like a prudent measure from the company. This ex-employee just seems bitter and is screaming racism like Brampton is the only place in the GTA where minorities live.

I'm a brown guy and I wouldn't sell insurance to anyone in Brampton either. Lots of other brown people live all over the GTA, but the rest of them know how to **** drive and aren't as fond of insurance scams as those who live in Brampton.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
8358 posts
5702 upvotes
Markham
Piro21 wrote:
Dec 16th, 2018 1:58 pm
Is it actually not legal? Managing risk is an insurance company's entire reason for existing. This just seems like a prudent measure from the company. This ex-employee just seems bitter and is screaming racism like Brampton is the only place in the GTA where minorities live.

I'm a brown guy and I wouldn't sell insurance to anyone in Brampton either. Lots of other brown people live all over the GTA, but the rest of them know how to **** drive and aren't as fond of insurance scams as those who live in Brampton.
We’re all paying for Brampton insurance scammers. All of us, regardless of where we live in Ontario. My wife works for State Farm, she tells me that she sheds a tear for anyone moving to Brampton. The common saying is that yah, you’re saving a buck on housing... but you’re paying it all back as a HUGE insurance hike.

There needs to be better laws against insurance scams. Would put a good amount of “professionals” out of work in Brampton. And as a bonus, help the rest of us out with some better insurance rates.
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
8358 posts
5702 upvotes
Markham
engineered wrote:
Dec 15th, 2018 11:47 pm
So insurance companies are forced to sell their product in all markets? So much for free market.
Still, if they wanted to reduce their risk in Brampton, why wouldn't they just jack up their rates there? It'll either cover the fraud or essentially stop sales in the area because they wouldn't be competitive.
Trust me they do. Moving from Markham to Brampton, expect >2x the premium even without convictions or accidents. And insurance in Markham ain’t even cheap to begin with. But hey, it’s a cheap detached house in Brampton, so there’s that.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2015
1402 posts
974 upvotes
Canada
engineered wrote:
then they would be sued for price discrimination targeting specific groups..

You know if insurance company deemed your group as risky, they for sure hell have a lot of statistical confidence evidence. After all, thats what the actuaries do all day.

If she in the news is just a claim analyst then she wouldnt really understand this.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2015
1402 posts
974 upvotes
Canada
engineered wrote:
then they would be sued for price discrimination targeting specific groups..

You know if insurance company deemed your group as risky, they for sure hell have a lot of statistical confidence evidence. After all, thats what the actuaries do all day with their complex risk models, etc.

If she in the news is just a claim analyst then she wouldnt really understand this.
Mar 30, 2011
56 posts
30 upvotes
No surprise, Brampton is the worst for driving.