Automotive

Allstate tried to cut off auto insurance sales to drivers in Brampton, lawsuit claims

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 23rd, 2018 11:27 am
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
2751 posts
1646 upvotes
Montreal
eugene_2005 wrote:
Dec 17th, 2018 9:35 am
That narrows down the list but still not quite enough.
The impression I got from RFD is Brampton = new India, Markham = new China.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
5182 posts
2148 upvotes
I actually approve of how the insurance company is dealing with this. The fraudulent behavior affects the premiums of everyone in this country, not just that area.

It's entirely up to those people living in that area to cease acting like scam artists and start to care about their own reputations. Im sure there are good people living there, but unfortunately they are overwhelmed with bad apples. I'm still waiting for the day when that particular group grows a backbone and earns respect by playing nicely with others. It's real bad when even Costco gets tired of getting their condiments stolen by this one particular group. It's almost like the grandparents and parents are teaching the younger generation that it's perfectly fine to scam others to get ahead. That's the gist Im getting from this group, time and time again. It's always something with this group.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
10464 posts
4669 upvotes
Brampton
jzmtl wrote:
Dec 17th, 2018 2:17 pm
Except much much worse.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21084 posts
10544 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
jzmtl wrote:
Dec 17th, 2018 2:17 pm
Lol

New India, Ontario, Canada
New China, Ontario, Canada

Sounds good to me.
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21084 posts
10544 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
badOne wrote:
Dec 17th, 2018 5:33 pm
I actually approve of how the insurance company is dealing with this. The fraudulent behavior affects the premiums of everyone in this country, not just that area.

It's entirely up to those people living in that area to cease acting like scam artists and start to care about their own reputations. Im sure there are good people living there, but unfortunately they are overwhelmed with bad apples. I'm still waiting for the day when that particular group grows a backbone and earns respect by playing nicely with others. It's real bad when even Costco gets tired of getting their condiments stolen by this one particular group. It's almost like the grandparents and parents are teaching the younger generation that it's perfectly fine to scam others to get ahead. That's the gist Im getting from this group, time and time again. It's always something with this group.
I guess scamming is a way of survival back in the old country.
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
5182 posts
2148 upvotes
nasa25 wrote:
Dec 17th, 2018 6:41 pm
I guess scamming is a way of survival back in the old country.
Unforgivable that the patriarchs all teach their children this way of life, then their own grandchildren now think this is the proper way to act in a civilized society. And they always hide behind the racism shield when things dont go their way. I love the slap down that happened last time a rep from that area tried to get Ottawa to pass legislation preventing insurance discrimination based on residential location. That rep got slapped down so fast and so hard we never heard from here again outside of Brampton.

I don't see any insurance company putting out an ad saying they wont discriminate against Brampton folks and come to use we would never do that. That's because they all feel the exact same way and silently support Alllstate.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
5182 posts
2148 upvotes
Bunyak wrote:
Dec 15th, 2018 11:40 pm
My coworker's banker told him that mortgage fraud is rampant in Brampton. I can't blame companies for wanting to avoid the place.
Commercial insurance fraud is a concern in that area too. I've seen an otherwise pleasant, non-racist commercial insurance agent start a long rant about fraud in Brampton and the crap he has to deal with. It was like he was describing the devil moved into that area or something. It was hard to watch someone just change right in front of me when talking about that area. This group of people sure are special. It seems a lot of businesses are wary of them, and have been for many years.
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2006
1836 posts
1030 upvotes
eugene_2005 wrote:
Dec 17th, 2018 9:25 am
Could someone enlighten those, not familiar with the area, what visual minorities we are talking about here?
Hint: You ever get those CRA scam calls?
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
2590 posts
565 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
so did the senior manager who ordered this get charged and thrown in jail yet?
Hi
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
5182 posts
2148 upvotes
Swerny wrote:
Dec 17th, 2018 10:14 am
it's alright, we will soon all be paying through the nose so that Brampton drivers can get cheaper rates.

https://www.cp24.com/news/private-membe ... -1.4135215

there's a thread here somewhere on that topic.
Unless the bill is backed by the most of the ruling party this wont go anywhere. It isn't like insurance companies will just sit there and let this pass unchallenged. You got nothing to worry about. Just don't drive or live anywhere near Brampton and you can try and forget they are there.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21084 posts
10544 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
GoodFellaz wrote:
Dec 18th, 2018 10:14 am
so did the senior manager who ordered this get charged and thrown in jail yet?
State Farm can just continue to offer car insurance in Brampton and charge $20k per year premiums. Would have the same effect

Insurance companies are in the business of making money, not losing it. Maybe if Brampton drivers stopped scamming and learned how to ****** drive they could get insured for a reasonable rate
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
5182 posts
2148 upvotes
The ironic thing is that the scammers know how to drive better than the average joe - they have to know the law inside and out to take advantage of others. Which is why you should be extremely wary of driving anywhere near very old cars, or cheap cars with obvious 3rd party unpainted parts on it - their car has been in accidents before, scam accidents or not.

Having said that, it does seem Brampton, and to a large extent Markham have poor drivers. Lots of complaints from insurance agents about poor drivers from Markham. And it isn't about Indians this time heh heh heh