Automotive

Allstate tried to cut off auto insurance sales to drivers in Brampton, lawsuit claims

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 23rd, 2018 11:27 am
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2004
3487 posts
476 upvotes
Mississauga
Anikiri wrote:
Dec 18th, 2018 11:18 am
Acura ILX, checks out... Brampton or Mississauga. I've never seen one in the east end.
It looks to be a TLX to me.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2018
1115 posts
729 upvotes
SFO <==> YYZ
nasa25 wrote:
Dec 17th, 2018 6:41 pm
I guess scamming is a way of survival back in the old country.
Where do you think 95% of the "call center scams" originate from?

And yeah having lived in Brampton for 7 years, I can confirm it's a boring shithole with terribad drivers. That being said, Brampton's got nothing on the SF Bay Area when it comes to bad driving.
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2015
2021 posts
379 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
DrunkTrailerParkSupervisor wrote:
Dec 18th, 2018 4:09 pm
why would they?
cus they ordered their agent to do something illegal and against the insurance bureau, did you not read the article or listen to the news report on the 6 o'clock news?
Hi
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
10781 posts
3776 upvotes
Toronto
lamboman wrote:
Dec 21st, 2018 7:02 am
Really cheap detached house in Brampton? What area in Brampton buddy? Looking around I found 1200 sq ft house for $780K!

Hence I bought a house in Ottawa for investment purposes, and going to use that address for my insurance as well (They have the lowest insurance rates!).
which is fraud
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
1564 posts
698 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Swerny wrote:
Dec 21st, 2018 8:17 am
which is fraud
Really? I guess you haven't really bought properties before to know the do's and dont's.
If you like the post or the comment, then don't forget to SMASH that LIKE BUTTON!
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1768 posts
509 upvotes
Kitchener
lamboman wrote:
Dec 21st, 2018 8:23 am
Really? I guess you haven't really bought properties before to know the do's and dont's.
If you bought a place in Ottawa and live there that's what you use for your auto insurance address than that's not fraud. If you bought a rental property, regardless of its location and use that address for auto insurance purposes than that is insurance fraud.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
1564 posts
698 upvotes
Toronto, ON
peelhic wrote:
Dec 21st, 2018 9:50 am
If you bought a place in Ottawa and live there that's what you use for your auto insurance address than that's not fraud. If you bought a rental property, regardless of its location and use that address for auto insurance purposes than that is insurance fraud.
I bought it as an investment where I can invest my money, and I'm going to live there. Only thing is I work throughout the province so I travel a lot. Do you comprehend sir?
If you like the post or the comment, then don't forget to SMASH that LIKE BUTTON!
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
10781 posts
3776 upvotes
Toronto
lamboman wrote:
Dec 21st, 2018 10:05 am
I bought it as an investment where I can invest my money, and I'm going to live there. Only thing is I work throughout the province so I travel a lot. Do you comprehend sir?
you have now changed your story 3 x (the other posts were deleted)
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1768 posts
509 upvotes
Kitchener
Dec 21st, 2018 1:23 pm
I don't know about the legality but shouldn't a business have the right to choose who it will and will not serve?
in QC they do not have the all comers rule so companies have more control on who and what they will write. Ontario has a different regulation.
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2015
2021 posts
379 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
Dec 21st, 2018 1:23 pm
I don't know about the legality but shouldn't a business have the right to choose who it will and will not serve?
Not if its regulated by a regulating body such as the insurance bureau of Canada, the company in question, such as All State, it must provide insurance premium as per the market value to all citizens regardless of race, creed, color, religion, location, language, or a combination of those factors, not the value that the Senior manager illegally tells his employee to enter into the system.
Hi
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1768 posts
509 upvotes
Kitchener
Dec 21st, 2018 2:26 pm
Do does this law mean that pretty much everyone has the same rates?

Say you have two people with the same car and no accident history -- will they pay the same rate by law?
No, rates vary by company and they can vary significantly. That's why its important for people to shop around on a regular basis as the variance between companies can be upwards of 100-200%. Generally its not that wide but 25-50% is very common. The reason for that is based on a few different things. 1) market appetite, the company may not want to grow in certain areas so they set rates higher. 2) lack of representation in the area, no agents/brokers for example, 3) their actuarial indications show that they require that level of pricing.

In QC, the regulation is different than in other provinces. QC is the only province where companies have file and use. This means that companies can design their rates and immediately begin using them as long as they advise the AMF within 30 days. In other provinces, companies have to file their rates with provincial regulators that then review them and they either approve or deny and the company has to make changes to satisfy the regulator before those rates going live. This process usually takes about 90 days from the initial filing to having an agreement in place to implement.
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1768 posts
509 upvotes
Kitchener
GoodFellaz wrote:
Dec 21st, 2018 2:20 pm
Not if its regulated by a regulating body such as the insurance bureau of Canada, the company in question, such as All State, it must provide insurance premium as per the market value to all citizens regardless of race, creed, color, religion, location, language, or a combination of those factors, not the value that the Senior manager illegally tells his employee to enter into the system.
The Insurance Bureau of Canada is not a regulatory body but rather an industry lobby/representation group. There are many insurance companies in Canada that are not members of the IBC due to not agreeing with their positions. Regulators would be bodies such as the FSCO, AMF, NBIB, NSIB, etc These are all the provincial regulators. Auto insurance is not federally regulated, only provincial.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
3693 posts
1394 upvotes
Do you realize behind these well known insurance companies are 3rd party underwriters? It isn't allstate alone that determines the pricing, it is to a very large extent the shared risk that the 3rd parties standing behind them are willing to take which affects the premiums.

Brampton is an industry wide problem, affecting way more than a few companies.
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2014
4383 posts
1199 upvotes
Canuckland
aeba7 wrote:
Dec 16th, 2018 12:16 am
13 years of working in the insurance industry and this is the first time discrimination has come up?
:lol: did anyone forget the biggest one? Sex discrimination

It’s the nature of the business