• Nov 10th, 2017 1:30 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Mar 20, 2006
45 posts
11 upvotes
Woodbridge

Almost set on getting a iphone 7+

and this might be the last iphone ever for me. a bit of disclosure i've been an iphone user for a long long time: why-not-iphone-6-a-1554727/#p19853833.

the iphone 6+ has served me really really well, until I upgraded to ios 11. with ios 11 i've experienced major lag on an iphone for the first time but i can tolerate it, android phones does that a lot of times too. the last straw broke the camel's back however is the massive screw up apple did to the podcast app, which is my most used app on the phone nowadays. completely ruined it. to add insult to the injury, I can no longer downgrade the phone os to ios 10 where podcast worked exactly to my liking. Very disappointed with Apple on this!

so now i have to get rid of the 6+ and get a new phone. Out of all the android offerings I like the LG v30 the most, but podcast apps on the android phones just don't meet my needs. iphone X on the other hand, besides it's a NOTCH below the android competitions, its ios 11 podcast app still pose the same issue as my iphone 6+, as is iphone 8+. So my only choice right now is iphone 7+, which still ships with ios10. it meets all my requirements for a personal phone albeit a year old!

am I making the wrong choice?
15 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
15756 posts
4463 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Good notch joke
Firebolt wrote:
Feb 12th, 2016 1:09 pm
give lots of head for sick knee fadez, give lots of lap dances for ca$h wallet fades. Always pop that leg when kissing for dope honey combs, knee lots of mans in the crotch for killer whiskers, low ride like an og for them stacks. And traintracks? Only achievable by a legend in the denim game
Nov 3, 2007
791 posts
34 upvotes
Cambridge
Keep in mind with android you'll only get a couple years updates.
A lot of other brand Android phones won't get fixed Krack vulnerability
I have one such phone, company wont do now.
So I am thinking going to 7+
One family member just got update last night on small iphone from late '13 production,
Android won't do it unless bought from Google and that 3 years max.
Cambridge,Ontario
Penalty Box
Aug 20, 2012
10051 posts
907 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
BigDeal2006 wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 2:24 am
and this might be the last iphone ever for me. a bit of disclosure i've been an iphone user for a long long time: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/why-not- ... #p19853833.

the iphone 6+ has served me really really well, until I upgraded to ios 11. with ios 11 i've experienced major lag on an iphone for the first time but i can tolerate it, android phones does that a lot of times too. the last straw broke the camel's back however is the massive screw up apple did to the podcast app, which is my most used app on the phone nowadays. completely ruined it. to add insult to the injury, I can no longer downgrade the phone os to ios 10 where podcast worked exactly to my liking. Very disappointed with Apple on this!

so now i have to get rid of the 6+ and get a new phone. Out of all the android offerings I like the LG v30 the most, but podcast apps on the android phones just don't meet my needs. iphone X on the other hand, besides it's a NOTCH below the android competitions, its ios 11 podcast app still pose the same issue as my iphone 6+, as is iphone 8+. So my only choice right now is iphone 7+, which still ships with ios10. it meets all my requirements for a personal phone albeit a year old!

am I making the wrong choice?

Look, if ur an everyday user and not an ocd pixel peeper than yes... the iphone 7+ is good enuff. In fact more than good enuff for the average user who does the basic 5-6 functions every freakin day. Good enuff to last you 3-4 yrs until the X3. There really is no difference function wise from the 8/8+. My mom has the 8+ and yaaawwwn, zzz... big deal. It's not much over the 6s... and the 7/7+ is even less over the 6s. The 8 camera blows out hi-lights vs the 7. Imagine that, haha. And the 8/8+ is currently having ios 11 software issues where the fone freezes and no touch action works. Tons of complaints globally about this.
Last edited by aznnorth on Nov 8th, 2017 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Penalty Box
Aug 20, 2012
10051 posts
907 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
tyreman wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 6:54 am
Keep in mind with android you'll only get a couple years updates.
A lot of other brand Android phones won't get fixed Krack vulnerability
I have one such phone, company wont do now.
So I am thinking going to 7+
One family member just got update last night on small iphone from late '13 production,
Android won't do it unless bought from Google and that 3 years max.
That would be the 5/5s series. My chiro's secretary still uses a 5s and is all caught up with ios 11. Yup, it's 4 yrs old.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
3832 posts
482 upvotes
Toronto
Yes, old iphones have been getting updates for years to come but the thing people have been complaining is that new updates tend to slow down older phones compelling them to upgrade.
BST meeting place:
Monday-Fri (9am-5pm): Queen Station or Eaton Centre
Monday-Thurs (after 5:30pm): Sheppard & Yonge
Saturday and Sunday: n/a
May 8, 2009
1891 posts
530 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
Makes me wonder whether the five years of iOS updates is worth it. Even if older iPhones could handle these updates well, iPhone users would still likely upgrade every 1-3 years since there are always new hardware features and even software features.

Androids will stop updates after a couple years from release, but the lucky phones allow flashing aftermarket firmware to keep getting updates (5+ years). Granted it's not for everyone, but the right Android with a custom ROM might feel more fresh than an iPhone from the same year assuming either phone is still in good condition with decent battery life.

Would love to see custom ROM's on iPhones.
Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
Home service reseller internet + FPL + antenna with streaming on smart TV
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
Deal Fanatic
May 17, 2006
5016 posts
792 upvotes
GTA
I hear ios11 is also laggy on newer phones. If you are happy with the 6+ maybe get more years out of it. Note that there was a speed increase between the 6 and 6s so if that is important to you then 7+ will be a good choice or even 8+.

We Shall Never Forget 7/08 '14
We Shall Never Forget 8/19 '11

Toilet Paper Calculations Thread
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2002
2351 posts
934 upvotes
Vancouver
The 7 Plus is a good choice. 3GB of RAM and a fast processor.

And you’re not investing too much into an old form factor. Good value for sure.
[OP]
Mar 20, 2006
45 posts
11 upvotes
Woodbridge
Yea main reason for me to get the 7+ is it ships with ios10, and I plan to stay at ios10 for the foreseeable future. Might seem to be an odd choice but ios11 really doesn’t do it for me. So definitely no 8+ for me

One of the main reasons I liked iPhones in the past is its simplicity and elegance of the iOS but imo it took a turn for the worse with iOS 11. It’s becoming much more bloated and simple apps are becoming unnecessarily complicated.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25485 posts
2770 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
BigDeal2006 wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 8:24 pm
Yea main reason for me to get the 7+ is it ships with ios10, and I plan to stay at ios10 for the foreseeable future. Might seem to be an odd choice but ios11 really doesn’t do it for me. So definitely no 8+ for me

One of the main reasons I liked iPhones in the past is its simplicity and elegance of the iOS but imo it took a turn for the worse with iOS 11. It’s becoming much more bloated and simple apps are becoming unnecessarily complicated.
I'm a Pixel XL user and an iPad Pro user.

I had an iPhone 7 Plus, but it didn't work for me as a phone. I switched to Android and while the Pixel suits me better, it is still not as good as my BlackBerry. What I will say is this. The Pixel lags a lot and requires a hard boot. The apps are not as polished as iOS and a lot more buggy.

I have an iPad Pro 9.7. I was really excited about iOS 11 as it includes a lot of improvements for iPads. It didn't disappoint for the most part. But after upgrading, the iPad does have minor delays in responsiveness. When I hold down to cut and paste, the response is delayed. It didn't do this with iOS 10.

I also need to mention, I am not an App junkie. I use less than 5 apps and I don't game on my devices.

My advice, be patient. This problem you have with the PodCast app, you're probably not alone. Apple will release a fix and it will work as intended. If you want or need a new phone, get the latest iPhone.
[OP]
Mar 20, 2006
45 posts
11 upvotes
Woodbridge
Gee wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 10:00 pm
I'm a Pixel XL user and an iPad Pro user.

I had an iPhone 7 Plus, but it didn't work for me as a phone. I switched to Android and while the Pixel suits me better, it is still not as good as my BlackBerry. What I will say is this. The Pixel lags a lot and requires a hard boot. The apps are not as polished as iOS and a lot more buggy.

I have an iPad Pro 9.7. I was really excited about iOS 11 as it includes a lot of improvements for iPads. It didn't disappoint for the most part. But after upgrading, the iPad does have minor delays in responsiveness. When I hold down to cut and paste, the response is delayed. It didn't do this with iOS 10.

I also need to mention, I am not an App junkie. I use less than 5 apps and I don't game on my devices.

My advice, be patient. This problem you have with the PodCast app, you're probably not alone. Apple will release a fix and it will work as intended. If you want or need a new phone, get the latest iPhone.
I tried to be patient, in fact too patient that I missed the window to downgrade to ios10. initially I thought it was just me not used to the new system but the more i use the phone the more unbearable it became.

Don't get me wrong the podcast app still works, as intended by apple. However it has become very frustrating to use. Simple tasks that required 1 tap before now require 3 or more, and it added a lot of extra stuff average users will never use. Like I mentioned before occasional lags I can tolerate, i'm using a 3 years old phone after all but this is way beyond that.
Nov 3, 2007
791 posts
34 upvotes
Cambridge
Got a 7+
upgraded the OS to 11 runs smooth
Nice phone bit odd from android
have to learn more
Does LTE on Freedom
Cambridge,Ontario