Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
May 6, 2005
8997 posts
584 upvotes
Toronto

Alright, what's wrong with my Nexus 4 battery/

FYI, I've just done a factory reset + restore from my google account, so we'll see if anything changes but I doubt it!

My battery has just been running down like nothing. It went down to 0% and turned off so I plugged it in. Got to 75% when it was time to go out to dinner with friends and by the end of it - with barely using it - it was down to about 40%.

So I charged it back up to 100% and by the time I got to bed it was back down to 45% or so. 7 hours later, I wake up to my alarm but also on-screen alert about power. It had dropped to 1%!

What on earth is going on? This phone is literally unusable as the battery just drains like no other...
Follow me on Instagram and 500px
31 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2008
4669 posts
1744 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I can think of three reasons:
1) Your phone isnt going into 'deep sleep' mode (download CPU Spy - it'll show you how much time your phone spends in deep sleep/idle)
2) Reception was bad and your phone was constantly trying to find a better signal (tap that graph again and you'll see another graph for network strength)
3) Defective battery?

Based on what I've read about the N4, 1) and 2) are the culprits for most people.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2004
6544 posts
261 upvotes
Markham
What carrier?

Click on the battery graph and take a screen shot. I'd be interested in seeing the awake times.

Also click on Android OS and Screen and take screen shots.

You could also try leaving it overnight on wifi to narrow down the issue.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2006
1069 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
Did you check if you have google now enabled? If you don't use it then just shut it off. Push email and google services background syncing will kill your battery on idle.

If you install apps that also sync in the background like facebook then thats one factor too.

Sucks to say this phone is not known to have good battery life but as long you manage the way you use it, it will last.

I installed a custom kernel and I left my phone overnight for 11 hours and used it for an hour (1 hour screen time). I have 85% which isn't bad.

But then again, I have everything off (including data) brightness at 10% and background data sync off. I only turn on data when I need it.

While this might not be an option for some people (Some need those timely emails pushed right away), unfortunately that is the way this phone is I guess.

Hopefully they improve something on the software side that can improve battery life.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 6, 2005
8997 posts
584 upvotes
Toronto
I've turned off the Facebook contact sync (although it still seems to notify me in realtime? Maybe because I opened it before it's running in the background? Not sure of any other way to turn that off... but it DOES make sense to have on - had it on before!)
I have and want to leave on google mail

I don't need realtime updates to my gmail/calendar/etc... but then how does one sync periodically? Seems to either just sync ON or OFF...

Under settings->accounts, right now only Facebook and Google are listed.

Battery seems a TAD better now, but definitely pretty poor. I love the larger screen and stuff... but not if I can only use it for 25% as long :(
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 6, 2005
8997 posts
584 upvotes
Toronto
One other thing I have noticed is that the signal indicator seems to fairly regularly switch between 3G and H... both at work and at home I notice it. Could the switching of signal also cause battery? Why would it switch so frequently? Am in downtown Toronto with Rogers...
Apr 2, 2003
623 posts
25 upvotes
Quebec
I read that it is actually switching to 3g to save battery. It will switch back to HSPA+ whenever Data access is needed
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2004
2927 posts
145 upvotes
Kaitlyn wrote:
Dec 21st, 2012 1:37 pm
One other thing I have noticed is that the signal indicator seems to fairly regularly switch between 3G and H... both at work and at home I notice it. Could the switching of signal also cause battery? Why would it switch so frequently? Am in downtown Toronto with Rogers...
How's the reception? If it keeps dropping signal and trying to reconnect, it will drain your battery fast. Connecting to WIFI might help a bit.

Also from what I heard, you have to charge your phone a bunch times before it's accurate.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2004
6544 posts
261 upvotes
Markham
Facebook/gmail is not the issue or you'd see it on the top of the usage list.

Leaving sync on is fine. It will not cause the type of battery drain that is being seen.

Switching between 3G and HSPA(+) is normal.

The stuff I mentioned in my first post is the things we need to see.
This space for rent
Jun 15, 2011
37820 posts
5441 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Did you see if NFC is on? Ensure that's off. Either way monitor it. I am not experiencing bad battery life like you are. If it gets worse, just RMA it.
The One and Only and Proud to be an Indian.
If I helped in any way, click that cool little "Thanks" button.
May 6, 2005
8997 posts
584 upvotes
Toronto
Mr Nobody wrote:
Dec 21st, 2012 3:06 pm
Facebook/gmail is not the issue or you'd see it on the top of the usage list.

Leaving sync on is fine. It will not cause the type of battery drain that is being seen.

Switching between 3G and HSPA(+) is normal.

The stuff I mentioned in my first post is the things we need to see.

I did a factory reset this morning so I'll have to do it after the next drop. The battery does seem to be a bit better - but im also trying to barely use it. Picking it up and actually using it causes percentages to drop off in real time :(
Jun 11, 2009
767 posts
81 upvotes
Mississauga
You need to charge/dis charge the battery before it gives an avg battery time. Charge it to 100% and let it go down till it shuts off by itself, Then charge it again and let it go down to 0%/shuts off. After a couple of charges, the battery will get better.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 16, 2003
9964 posts
363 upvotes
Toronto
I have everything running (google now, bt, nfc, gps, 3 email accounts etc.) and get between 6-9 hours depending no usage.... Either an app is misbehvaing or you have a defective battery

NFC doesn't use battery power..
Follow me on instagram to see Toronto https://instagram.com/kennyk3n/
Oct 29, 2012
18 posts
3 upvotes
I also wonder if you have an app that is misbehaving and eating your battery. Your phone reinstalled all your apps after you factory reset right? In the past I used go launcher pro and fully customized my home screen, and thought that rate of battery drain was normal. After a year I got Rid of it, and found my battery life was 2x better...
Deal Addict
May 9, 2009
4811 posts
722 upvotes
shaolinmonk wrote:
Dec 21st, 2012 8:38 pm
I have everything running (google now, bt, nfc, gps, 3 email accounts etc.) and get between 6-9 hours depending no usage.... Either an app is misbehvaing or you have a defective battery

NFC doesn't use battery power..
Same here, with the exception of Bluetooth. I get about 2.5 hours of screen time. If I don't plug in my phone at work, it will last me about 10-11 hours.
× < >