• Apr 18th, 2018 6:38 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
1326 posts
876 upvotes
Guelph, ON

Alterna Bank/Alterna Savings make Interac Etransfers free

Saw a post on reddit today that said that Alterna Bank is going to offer unlimited Interac Etransfers on June 1st (for their eChequing at least). I did a bit more digging at it seems that Etransfers will now be just another day to day transaction (like bill payments) for both Alterna Bank and Alterna Savings, which means alternas unlimited accounts will now have unlimited free Etransfers. This is pretty good as it will make Alterna Bank more competitive with Simplii Financial.

Here’s Alterna Bank’s statement on the change and Alterna Savings new fee book with the change.
I like credit unions. Proud DUCA member!
26 replies
Oct 19, 2016
649 posts
199 upvotes
Toronto
It already used to be free but I think only upto 2 per month... So now its unlimited.. thats good change for customers...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
1326 posts
876 upvotes
Guelph, ON
mrtrump wrote:
Apr 8th, 2018 10:04 pm
It already used to be free but I think only upto 2 per month... So now its unlimited.. thats good change for customers...
Correct, plus Alterna Savings customers don’t have to pay anymore.
Mar 15, 2011
398 posts
98 upvotes
Toronto
Which abm can be used for e chequing?

Average holding period when externaly transfering?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
1326 posts
876 upvotes
Guelph, ON
GreenFinGirl wrote:
Apr 8th, 2018 10:19 pm
Which abm can be used for e chequing?

Average holding period when externaly transfering?
Any Exchange Network atm can be used for free, and I think it takes a few days to transfer out money.
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2009
3611 posts
1067 upvotes
on the links
According to the fee schedule, esavings is included...yea!

also it looks like they're getting rid of the Good Life package (for seniors), which was free/unlimited. So in some respects, this is worse than before
Last edited by Sauerkraut on Apr 9th, 2018 7:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
1326 posts
876 upvotes
Guelph, ON
titaniumtux wrote:
Apr 9th, 2018 12:09 am
@jacnel please explain the difference between Alterna bank and Alterna CU.
They used to offer the same accounts but the main difference now is that the Alterna Credit union has branches you can go to while Alterna Bank is the direct banking service of Alterna. Also Alterna Bank has better savings account rates and Alterna Savings has great GIC rates and credit cards.
May 8, 2009
8095 posts
4016 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
jacnel wrote:
Apr 9th, 2018 7:13 am
They used to offer the same accounts but the main difference now is that the Alterna Credit union has branches you can go to while Alterna Bank is the direct banking service of Alterna. Also Alterna Bank has better savings account rates and Alterna Savings has great GIC rates and credit cards.
So go to the Alterna Bank for savings account and to Alterna CU for credit cards?
eBay profile| Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
1326 posts
876 upvotes
Guelph, ON
titaniumtux wrote:
Apr 9th, 2018 10:35 am
So go to the Alterna Bank for savings account and to Alterna CU for credit cards?
If you don't want in branch transactions I'd go with Alterna Bank since they offer great rates and no monthly fees, I think alterna bank also has some branch based accounts too but they don't advertise them on their website. Alterna on the other hand has more services like GICs, Mutual Funds and credit cards so you could go through them to get that. Personally I wish they would offer the alterna bank accounts to those with the credit union since DICO insures more than CIDC and I prefer credit unions over banks.
May 8, 2009
8095 posts
4016 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
jacnel wrote:
Apr 9th, 2018 11:56 am
If you don't want in branch transactions I'd go with Alterna Bank since they offer great rates and no monthly fees, I think alterna bank also has some branch based accounts too but they don't advertise them on their website. Alterna on the other hand has more services like GICs, Mutual Funds and credit cards so you could go through them to get that. Personally I wish they would offer the alterna bank accounts to those with the credit union since DICO insures more than CIDC and I prefer credit unions over banks.
+1

Except I prefer the option of never having to step into a branch if I can avoid it.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
Sep 14, 2010
74 posts
10 upvotes
Montreal
I'v been with them for over 2 years. The perfect alternative (fitting name!) bank account. I recommend it!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
1326 posts
876 upvotes
Guelph, ON
titaniumtux wrote:
Apr 9th, 2018 12:41 pm
+1

Except I prefer the option of never having to step into a branch if I can avoid it.
I'm weird and I like to deposit rolls of change and get $10 bills
May 8, 2009
8095 posts
4016 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
jacnel wrote:
Apr 9th, 2018 2:32 pm
I'm weird and I like to deposit rolls of change and get $10 bills
In Ottawa, exchange paper notes for coins and coins for notes at any lotto centre. Don't need a brick and mortar for that.