• Last Updated:
  • Dec 30th, 2023 12:09 pm
Tags:
None
Dec 5, 2014
27 posts
12 upvotes
ON
MoneyHypeMike wrote: You can send them an e-mail or phone. There is no online chat.
What's the email? It's not listed anywhere on their website.

Tangerine email money transfers are down so they let me send an interac e-transfer for free. Alterna keeps giving me an error (code 942) when trying to receive the e-transfer. I guess setting up the account wasn't so easy after all? Or maybe their systems are just down, or maybe when setting up the account with me to me transfer I'm expected to make a deposit through there first. I'll have to call when they're open

EDIT: Just got off the phone and yes I have to complete a me to me transfer first for my account to be active.
Last edited by 12345654321 on Mar 18th, 2017 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 22, 2015
6185 posts
4811 upvotes
Saint-Hubert, QC
12345654321 wrote: What's the email? It's not listed anywhere on their website.

Tangerine email money transfers are down so they let me send an interac e-transfer for free. Alterna keeps giving me an error (code 942) when trying to receive the e-transfer. I guess setting up the account wasn't so easy after all? Or maybe their systems are just down, or maybe when setting up the account with me to me transfer I'm expected to make a deposit through there first. I'll have to call when they're open
Sorry it's not an e-mail, it's an online form.

https://www.alternabank.ca/AboutUs/ContactUs/
Alterna Bank Thread

TFSA Portfolio: ATD|CNQ|NA|SJ
RRSP Portfolio: ELV|URI|WSM
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2011
1171 posts
470 upvotes
If I set up my my account with a cheque am I still getting the me2me option? How does it work? will I see my other account from my other bank in their app an just initiate the transfer from alterna app?

Thanks!
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2008
2781 posts
2300 upvotes
Winnipeg
12345654321 wrote: What's the email? It's not listed anywhere on their website.
MoneyHypeMike wrote: Sorry it's not an e-mail, it's an online form.

https://www.alternabank.ca/AboutUs/ContactUs/
Their email address is;

questions@alterna.ca

bobbyg9 wrote: If I set up my my account with a cheque am I still getting the me2me option? How does it work? will I see my other account from my other bank in their app an just initiate the transfer from alterna app?

Thanks!
Your initial deposit cheque whether you mail in the cheque to them or you deposit it via the mobile app taking a picture...it will be linked to your profile AFTER your 5 business day hold is over.

Any additional accounts to be linked to your profile you will have to print out the ME TO ME Form and sign it. Then you can mail the form along with your void cheque to Alterna Bank at 165 Attwell Drive, Toronto, ON M9W 5Y5 or scan your form and void cheque(s) and email to questions@alterna.ca They will then link your additional accounts. The form for Me to Me Transfers can be found at https://www.alternabank.ca/SharedConten ... ccount.pdf

One of the limitations of the Me To Me Transfers at Alterna Bank is you DO NOT have the ability to set up recurring me to me transfers like you can with Tangerine, PC Financial or even other banks that use the same platform as Alterna such as Implicity Financial. So you can only do one time me to me transfers and you will have to initiate a transfer every time manually on Alterna's side.

You also can NOT do a me to me transfer through the mobile app. You have to force your mobile phone to the desktop website or log in on a PC and do the me to me transfer on the computer. They will appear in your drop down list on the desktop website but NOT in the mobile app.

Hope that helps
*Do you like someone's idea, post, or response? Why not consider giving them "thanks" and clicking the thumbs up to give them the credit they deserve.*
Deal Addict
May 15, 2013
2048 posts
636 upvotes
Alberta
Shawguy wrote:
Your initial deposit cheque whether you mail in the cheque to them or you deposit it via the mobile app taking a picture...it will be linked to your profile AFTER your 5 business day hold is over.

Any additional accounts to be linked to your profile you will have to print out the ME TO ME Form and sign it. Then you can mail the form along with your void cheque to Alterna Bank at 165 Attwell Drive, Toronto, ON M9W 5Y5 or scan your form and void cheque(s) and email to questions@alterna.ca They will then link your additional accounts. The form for Me to Me Transfers can be found at https://www.alternabank.ca/SharedConten ... ccount.pdf

I opened an account and 3 days ago I deposited via the mobile app 2 cheques from 2 different banks. So, according to what you say only one of them will pass through and I'd need to mail them again a different cheque of the one did't get link .... Smiling Face With Horns
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2008
2781 posts
2300 upvotes
Winnipeg
iamthebest wrote: I opened an account and 3 days ago I deposited via the mobile app 2 cheques from 2 different banks. So, according to what you say only one of them will pass through and I'd need to mail them again a different cheque of the one did't get link .... Smiling Face With Horns
Correct. I deposited 3 cheques from 3 different banks.... They only linked the first one. I had to scan and email them the other two with the me to me form in order to get them linked.
*Do you like someone's idea, post, or response? Why not consider giving them "thanks" and clicking the thumbs up to give them the credit they deserve.*
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2011
1171 posts
470 upvotes
Shawguy wrote: Their email address is;

questions@alterna.ca

One of the limitations of the Me To Me Transfers at Alterna Bank is you DO NOT have the ability to set up recurring me to me transfers like you can with Tangerine, PC Financial or even other banks that use the same platform as Alterna such as Implicity Financial. So you can only do one time me to me transfers and you will have to initiate a transfer every time manually on Alterna's side.

You also can NOT do a me to me transfer through the mobile app. You have to force your mobile phone to the desktop website or log in on a PC and do the me to me transfer on the computer. They will appear in your drop down list on the desktop website but NOT in the mobile app.

Hope that helps
Thank you sir! To bad you can't me2me with the app.I wonder why they wont allow it.
Deal Addict
May 15, 2013
2048 posts
636 upvotes
Alberta
Shawguy wrote: Correct. I deposited 3 cheques from 3 different banks.... They only linked the first one. I had to scan and email them the other two with the me to me form in order to get them linked.
Today it's 5 days since I deposited the cheques. I received an email in the morning that my account is now active, however the funds are not available to move neither at least one link has been created.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2008
2781 posts
2300 upvotes
Winnipeg
iamthebest wrote: Today it's 5 days since I deposited the cheques. I received an email in the morning that my account is now active, however the funds are not available to move neither at least one link has been created.
Same thing happened to me...don't worry it will all be active and funds released in the morning. Your linked account should appear by mid day tomorrow at the latest. The system auto generates the email a day early for some reason. Happened to me too.
Last edited by Shawguy on Mar 22nd, 2017 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2008
2781 posts
2300 upvotes
Winnipeg
bobbyg9 wrote: Thank you sir! To bad you can't me2me with the app.I wonder why they wont allow it.
I think it's a limitation of the software by the credit union central (yes even though it's not a credit union... They use the credit union system.) I have another online bank that uses the same mobile app (Implicity) and it has the same limitations with me to me transfers and not being to do them in The mobile APP.

Although With Implicity you can set up recurring me to me transfers yet With Alterna you can not.

Finally when linking Alterna to Implicity and vice versa... The transfers are Instant vs 1 to 2 days with transfers done with other banks... Again I assume because it's all on the credit union central system.
Deal Addict
May 15, 2013
2048 posts
636 upvotes
Alberta
Shawguy wrote: Same thing happened to me...don't worry it will all be active and funds released in the morning. Your linked account should appear by mid day tomorrow at the latest. The system auto generates the email a day early for some reason. Happened to me too.
Thanks. I'm travelling in a couple of hours, that's why I wanted to have all sorted out.
Dec 12, 2016
620 posts
659 upvotes
Shawguy wrote: I think it's a limitation of the software by the credit union central (yes even though it's not a credit union... They use the credit union system.) I have another online bank that uses the same mobile app (Implicity) and it has the same limitations with me to me transfers and not being to do them in The mobile APP.

Although With Implicity you can set up recurring me to me transfers yet With Alterna you can not.

Finally when linking Alterna to Implicity and vice versa... The transfers are Instant vs 1 to 2 days with transfers done with other banks... Again I assume because it's all on the credit union central system.
What do you mean by instant? As in real time? I've noticed with Alterna that if I arrange for a transfer in the morning, the funds are later taken from my HSBC account by the same night.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2008
2781 posts
2300 upvotes
Winnipeg
Here2day2 wrote: What do you mean by instant? As in real time? I've noticed with Alterna that if I arrange for a transfer in the morning, the funds are later taken from my HSBC account by the same night.
Yes... Instant. Whether I send or pull Initatiating At Implicity Or I send or pull initiating at Alterna... The balances at both Implicity And Alterna are updated within 30 seconds.

Strange thing is pulling to Implicity or sending from Alterna to Implicity the funds are available immediately (Implicity normally has a 10 day hold on all deposits), yet if I pull to Alterna or send from Implicity To Alterna.... There is a 5 day hold, which is strange because normally sending from your other bank (example PCF to Alterna) it's treated as a direct deposit and funds are available immediately, yet With Implicity deposits that is not the case at Alterna.

Yes with my other Banks I notice sometimes that sending money from Alterna to that other bank will show up same day in the evening.... Yet pulling to Alterna from that bank will post the next day.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2016
1294 posts
684 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
What type of overdraft does alterna echequing offer?
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2008
2781 posts
2300 upvotes
Winnipeg
Latebuyer wrote: What type of overdraft does alterna echequing offer?
They bill you every month $2.50 whether you use it or not...not like PC FInancial or Tangerine who only bill you if you use it. It looks like they approve $500-5000 amounts. I didn't apply for Alterna Overdraft because I don't want to pay a fee for something I would never use.
https://www.alternabank.ca/Personal/Eve ... rotection/
May 3, 2016
543 posts
76 upvotes
Anyone tried their USD savings at 0.95% rate? Can you link your USD external bank account with them so it won't take days to clear the USD cheque/bank draft?

It's not covered by CDIC though, my only concern. However, don't know better alternative for USD cash.
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
4028 upvotes
BC
wyho007 wrote: Anyone tried their USD savings at 0.95% rate? Can you link your USD external bank account with them so it won't take days to clear the USD cheque/bank draft?

It's not covered by CDIC though, my only concern. However, don't know better alternative for USD cash.
Alliant Credit Union (in the US) pays 1% and is insured. Check 'US bank account and credit card for Canadians' thread for details. You can open account by mail.
POLL: How frequent is your RRSP-matching?
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2009
2280 posts
991 upvotes
Toronto
I am having some issues with a joint eSavings account and I was wondering how other people are dealing with them. My wife is primary and I am secondary on the account.

• I am not able to do m-2-m deposits into the joint account although it works fine for my wife and I can do in my single account. I had two long calls with the bank troubleshooting the issue and now their IT is investigating.
  • The account number for the joint account is identical with my wife's account number - they do not assign a new account number - and this creates huge problems. When, from a different bank, I initiate an withdrawal on that account number I don't know if the amount is going to be drawn from my wife's savings or from joint savings.

Looking for some ideas about how to deal with these issues. TIA.
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
4028 upvotes
BC
andrew4321 wrote: I am having some issues with a joint eSavings account and I was wondering how other people are dealing with them. My wife is primary and I am secondary on the account.

• I am not able to do m-2-m deposits into the joint account although it works fine for my wife and I can do in my single account. I had two long calls with the bank troubleshooting the issue and now their IT is investigating.
  • The account number for the joint account is identical with my wife's account number - they do not assign a new account number - and this creates huge problems. When, from a different bank, I initiate an withdrawal on that account number I don't know if the amount is going to be drawn from my wife's savings or from joint savings.

Looking for some ideas about how to deal with these issues. TIA.
How can the account number for 2 accounts be identical? You mean they are both "1"? Maybe there are some prefix digits they aren't showing you that differ between joint and non-joint.

Isn't that how chequing vs savings works for direct linking from Tangerine/EQ's side?

See:
Shawguy wrote: Chequing is 40(xxx)(mmmmmmm)
Savings is 41(xxx)(mmmmmmm)
TFSA esavings is 43(xxx)(mmmmmmm)

X is the account number...savings 1 is 001, savings 2 is 002, etc

M is your 7 digit member ID.

Bank is 608. Transit is 00016.

So if your member number is 1234567 then your account number for Savings account 1 would be the following: 410011234567
So my theory is if you see two savings with account "001", then the joint one has a different prefix, like "42" or "44".
POLL: How frequent is your RRSP-matching?
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2009
2280 posts
991 upvotes
Toronto
ace604 wrote: So my theory is if you see two savings with account "001", then the joint one has a different prefix, like "42" or "44".
Actually you are almost right. When you have multiple accounts, same type, the fifth digit identifies the account. So, "eSavings 1" is 41001, "eSavings 2" is 41002 and so on. The thing is that you don't see that logged online.

Thanks.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)