• Dec 30th, 2023 12:09 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2006
6494 posts
2490 upvotes
Ontario
Can anyone confirm that you can do unlimited The Exchange ATM withdrawals and deposits with the eSavings account for free?
Cards:HSBC WE MC 1.5%/3% travel 0 FX MC acceptance 31 day med AF $49
CTC WE MC 3% grocery, 3.54% CTC, RA, billpay, AF $0
MBNA RWE 5.4% grocery/resto
Bank: EQ (1.5%)
Jan 21, 2012
662 posts
363 upvotes
Does anyone know once you set up the account with Alterna, how easy is it to create the external link to other bank within Alterna? Can we just create the link ourselves online or we need to send in a check to Alterna? Thanks.
Apr 7, 2013
245 posts
92 upvotes
Deux-Montagnes, QC
lingecw wrote: Does anyone know once you set up the account with Alterna, how easy is it to create the external link to other bank within Alterna? Can we just create the link ourselves online or we need to send in a check to Alterna? Thanks.
You need to fill a form (pdf available online) and attach a check.
I just scanned the form to pdf and sent it via email to the address mention in the form

They made the link the following business day
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2006
6494 posts
2490 upvotes
Ontario
Does anyone here have a debit card for the eSavings account?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
6241 posts
708 upvotes
Tried opening up an account online a few days ago but was told "further info needed, we will contact you shortly".

Anyone else get this?
Jan 21, 2012
662 posts
363 upvotes
darthcloud wrote: You need to fill a form (pdf available online) and attach a check.
I just scanned the form to pdf and sent it via email to the address mention in the form

They made the link the following business day
Thanks for sharing the info.
Deal Addict
May 28, 2009
1811 posts
94 upvotes
Toronto
What is the best/lazy way to open a new account with Alterna with the least amount of hassles and printing out papers yourself (I rather them send me all the paperwork to sign) ?

Answer : just checked with them. have to open online but no mailing necessary.
Jun 6, 2009
981 posts
607 upvotes
Heads up to anyone who plans on opening an online account with Alterna.

I opened one last month planing to transfer my money at the end of the month when my Tangerine promo ends. Well, received the unpleasant news today without a warning that the account was closed because no initial deposit was made within 45 days of opening the account. Given that opening the account wasn't exactly a smooth process, I have no desire whatsoever to open a new one. I guess Alterna can sit on their fat rate.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2014
6582 posts
9090 upvotes
Rankin Inlet, NU
minimalist wrote: Does anyone here have a debit card for the eSavings account?
I do. Works just like any bank debit card. I can access my eChequing on the chequing and eSavings on the savings.
Support your local Credit Union!

RRSP where you can deposit with a Credit Card, earn rewards investing!
RFD Saskatchewan Pension Plan
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2006
6494 posts
2490 upvotes
Ontario
xgbsSS wrote: I do. Works just like any bank debit card. I can access my eChequing on the chequing and eSavings on the savings.
Thanks. Can you use the eSavings for Interac purchases?
Jan 21, 2012
662 posts
363 upvotes
Is Alterna Bank really a member under CDIC? I looked into CDIC website, only see "CS Alterna Bank" in the member list, but not "Alterna Bank", and there is no way to tell if "CS Alterna Bank" is the same as "Alterna Bank".
Dec 12, 2016
620 posts
659 upvotes
lingecw wrote: Is Alterna Bank really a member under CDIC? I looked into CDIC website, only see "CS Alterna Bank" in the member list, but not "Alterna Bank", and there is no way to tell if "CS Alterna Bank" is the same as "Alterna Bank".
It's the same. CS Alterna Bank is their legal name, but they operate as Alterna Bank. Similar to TD Canada Trust, they're legally known as Toronto Dominion Bank.
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
4028 upvotes
BC
lingecw wrote: Is Alterna Bank really a member under CDIC? I looked into CDIC website, only see "CS Alterna Bank" in the member list, but not "Alterna Bank", and there is no way to tell if "CS Alterna Bank" is the same as "Alterna Bank".
Says the exact same info on Alterna's website:
https://www.alternabank.ca/OnlinePolici ... Insurance/

"CS Alterna Bank - Member of the Canada Deposit Insurance Corporation"
POLL: How frequent is your RRSP-matching?
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)
Deal Addict
May 28, 2009
1811 posts
94 upvotes
Toronto
seems to be limits on their "me-to-me" transfers from and to the esavings account : 50k per 7 days or 125k per 30 days.
its basically a form of tying down the money with them although a lite one.

but one of the rep on the phone told me not on the echequing ? dont know if he just dont know better and just want me to open a chequing account as well. Just dont make sense since I would think even the chequing will use their same "me-to-me" transfer system to move money to other banks.

anyone with an echequing account with them can confirm if any limits to sending money out of the chequing account to another bank ?

update : talked to another rep and this one is saying limits apply to both esaving and echequing accounts.

But then again how can they restrict you from transferring 126k from the savings to your chequing and making a cheque of 126k to yourself to deposit on a chequing account in another bank ? of course there is going to be a 5-7 days hold period for the cheque balance but its still better than their 7 days limit of 50k.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2014
2170 posts
341 upvotes
Mississauga
Yea there is nothing stopping your from making cheque on your name but you have to buy their cheques.
Oh sada kehra bapu karda black nee, Jehra tere shahir (Toronto), Le lawan flat nee
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2006
6494 posts
2490 upvotes
Ontario
Joint accounts, debit card and Direct Deposit/PAD all along make Alterna Bank better than EQ Bank, in my opinion.
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
4028 upvotes
BC
minimalist wrote: Joint accounts, debit card and Direct Deposit/PAD all along make Alterna Bank better than EQ Bank, in my opinion.
EQ had direct deposit and PAD now.

So your list is down to: joint accounts and debit cards.

They are adding EQ-to-EQ transfers next month and although not as good as joint accounts it can make up for the lack of them in some use cases. Will definitely be better once they add joint accounts.

For me don't really care about the debit card. If I need to use it (very rarely) to pay somewhere that doesn't take credit then I Interac e-Transfer myself the money for free from EQ to Tangerine (after the fact since TNG has free overdraft).

Does Alterna offer free Interac e-Transfers?
EDIT: Looks like you get 2 per month? Not bad. EQ gives you 5. 2 is probably enough for a lot of people. I'm guessing 5 is enough for almost anyone except someone practically "in business" paying for privately purchased goods by e-Transfer all the time.
POLL: How frequent is your RRSP-matching?
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2005
2065 posts
355 upvotes
Ottawa
ace604 wrote: EQ had direct deposit and PAD now.

So your list is down to: joint accounts and debit cards.

They are adding EQ-to-EQ transfers next month and although not as good as joint accounts it can make up for the lack of them in some use cases. Will definitely be better once they add joint accounts.

For me don't really care about the debit card. If I need to use it (very rarely) to pay somewhere that doesn't take credit then I Interac e-Transfer myself the money for free from EQ to Tangerine (after the fact since TNG has free overdraft).

Does Alterna offer free Interac e-Transfers?
EDIT: Looks like you get 2 per month? Not bad. EQ gives you 5. 2 is probably enough for a lot of people. I'm guessing 5 is enough for almost anyone except someone practically "in business" paying for privately purchased goods by e-Transfer all the time.
2 free e-transfers a month, per account.
RFD 15 73H 1337
Deal Fanatic
Jul 22, 2015
6184 posts
4811 upvotes
Saint-Hubert, QC
Can you add other bank account if you don't have cheque (example: ZenBanx) via the M2M thing?
Alterna Bank Thread

TFSA Portfolio: ATD|CNQ|NA|SJ
RRSP Portfolio: ELV|URI|WSM