• Last Updated:
  • Jan 11th, 2019 2:35 am
[OP]
Dec 28, 2010
446 posts
164 upvotes

Alternative to Flickr

Flickr is going to reduce the number of images on a free account to 1000. Over the years I have gathered quite an amount of pictures of my family and I don't want to loose them. But, I also don't want to pay for it. What is a good alternative to Flickr :)
Actions speak louder than words
14 replies
Nov 24, 2009
380 posts
39 upvotes
Ottawa
If your intention is just to backup your photo, then I would recommend Amazon Prime. It's not free but you get Amazon Music, Amazon Video and prime shipping.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
2664 posts
1051 upvotes
Everywhere
Google photos is another option. There is a fee beyond the free storage limit, but if you allow Google to downgrade the quality of your photos, storage is free.
Jun 5, 2010
642 posts
371 upvotes
Toronto
Is there anything you already pay for? Like Office 365?

I pay for this, and get One Drive for 5 people at 1TB each. It's awesome.

I also have a Mega.nz account. But never use it.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
18131 posts
2820 upvotes
GTA West
VESTEGAARD wrote:
Nov 4th, 2018 7:00 am
Flickr is going to reduce the number of images on a free account to 1000. Over the years I have gathered quite an amount of pictures of my family and I don't want to loose them. But, I also don't want to pay for it. What is a good alternative to Flickr :)
How many images do you have?
If it's under 15 GB, use Google Photos.
If it's over 15 GB, Google Photos still gives you unlimited storage, but with limited image quality.

Beyond that, there's no free option for people with a large amount of photos, and Yahoo was incredibly stupid to offer this unsustainable model for Flickr to begin with.
I was also a paid Flickr Pro member for around 5 years, before Yahoo changed things.

The next 'cheapest' option will still be Google Photos, which is around $2.99 / month for another 100 GB storage.
What if there were no hypothetical questions?
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2015
1897 posts
842 upvotes
Cochrane, AB
I can't believe the people in this thread. I'm just a beginner and even I know that Amazon Photos gives you unlimited storage of full resolution photos, both JPEG and RAW files as part of Amazon Prime Membership (what photographer doesn't have Amazon Prime?). It is by far the best way to store all your photos.

You can ask thank me by buying me Amazon gift cards.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7398 posts
1339 upvotes
Storage and the social media aspect of hosting are two separated things.
JoeStale wrote:
Dec 30th, 2018 12:01 am
I can't believe the people in this thread. I'm just a beginner and even I know that Amazon Photos gives you unlimited storage of full resolution photos, both JPEG and RAW files as part of Amazon Prime Membership (what photographer doesn't have Amazon Prime?). It is by far the best way to store all your photos.

The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
May 11, 2008
541 posts
175 upvotes
Vancouver
JoeStale wrote:
Dec 30th, 2018 12:01 am

You do realize that post #2 already suggested Amazon right?

As for me I store everything on my Synology NAS and keep a copy of everything on an old D-Link NAS elsewhere.
I have access to my photos on the Photo Station app and can stream any of my mp3's and videos with the other apps.
Dec 23, 2009
87 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto
After shopping around I ended up going with the Adobe photography subscription.

For $10/mo USD I get Photoshop, Lightroom Classic, and 20GB of cloud storage, including hosting for a photo site/portfolio.

I had bootlegged lightroom for years but figured I should step up and actually pay for it. And my 10,000 or so photos in Flickr ended up being something like 8.5GB. The RAW files take up a lot of room, but once you've selected the best shots and exported to JPG it doesn't take up that much room.

The hard part now is that my flickr export is not organized by set so I'm slowly manually reorganizing it. Lots of 10 year old concert photos that I would never ever remember the name of the band if it weren't for the set name.
Apr 24, 2012
406 posts
414 upvotes
Vancouver
Flickr is advertising Pro as "Worry free photo backup". But if you put words "Pro" and "backup" in one sentence, you gotta provide RAW support. Last time I checked it was still not possible to backup RAW files.

Edit: btw, don't mean to sound obvious, but... If you really like Flickr and don't mind to spend a bit of time, perhaps it's worth creating multiple flickr accounts? After all, 1000 photos x unlimited free accounts = unlimited photos :)
Jul 29, 2007
148 posts
52 upvotes
Toronto
I currently have about 5,000 photos backed up on Flickr, thanks to installing the app about 2 years ago. Otherwise, I haven't been the most diligent in backing up my photos (which come from my phone and camera) or any other data on my laptop. Hoping to change that this year.

Do most people here use a dedicated service for photos and a dedicated service for other data? Or is it sufficient to use one backup service for everything? I'm considering both free and paid options for both setups.
Apr 24, 2012
406 posts
414 upvotes
Vancouver
goo421 wrote:
Jan 4th, 2019 4:51 pm
Do most people here use a dedicated service for photos and a dedicated service for other data? Or is it sufficient to use one backup service for everything?
I'm using Google Drive and Photos for everything. When running out space, just create another free account. Keep one account with your current stuff and copy less frequently used items to other accounts.
Edit: Use Youtube for backing up large video files and make them unlisted. That way you can still easily share them if needed.