• Last Updated:
  • Jan 5th, 2015 9:03 pm
[OP]
Aug 22, 2012
168 posts
105 upvotes
Mark Town

Alternative heating solution for a small office

I bought an office last year for my startup (currently only 2 people are working). The office has a electric/gas AC installed by the previous owner. It uses electricity for cooling and gas for heating. When I get Enbridge to hook up the gas, I am surprised to find that the gas charge is quite high. To begin with, I already paid $300 to paint the supply line, $70 for inspection. According to the Enbridge bill, I have to pay around $150/month in the winter and $100/month in the summer. I do not use any gas in summer yet I have to pay $70 account fee plus various charges. The overall charge is likely to be 10 times of the gas used.

I am very unhappy with the gas charge but I want the office to be warn in the winter. Is there alternative solution and how much does it cost?
3 replies
Apr 27, 2009
181 posts
20 upvotes
Maritimes
You can get a heat pump installed. There are heat pumps for rooms and there are also whole-house heat pumps. You would probably want the kind that goes on the wall and heats one room, because they're a lot cheaper.
But unless you cancel your enbridge account, they're still going to charge you fees every month even if you turn the heat off completely.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2002
2513 posts
461 upvotes
Burlington
How big is the office? Baseboard or space heaters?
Not your standard VoIP. Different and novel options & advice for my RFD friends.