Personal Finance

Alternatives to wire transfers to get money from Europe?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 12th, 2016 4:18 pm
Deal Addict
May 9, 2004
1533 posts
1294 upvotes
Upstairs

Alternatives to wire transfers to get money from Europe?

We have 45000 Euros in a Greek bank which we would like to get transferred to Canada. We were told that with the current restrictions in Greece only 1000 Euros can be transferred out of the country per month. In addition, each wire transfer and conversion costs 25 euros at the originating bank and then $14CAD here at RBC to receive it. This seems like a lot of fees considering we will need to do this every month for the next 40 or so months. Are there any cheaper alternatives to wire transfers?
17 replies
Aug 9, 2014
468 posts
108 upvotes
Toronto, ON
RedBargainz wrote: We have 45000 Euros in a Greek bank which we would like to get transferred to Canada. We were told that with the current restrictions in Greece only 1000 Euros can be transferred out of the country per month. In addition, each wire transfer and conversion costs 25 euros at the originating bank and then $14CAD here at RBC to receive it. This seems like a lot of fees considering we will need to do this every month for the next 40 or so months. Are there any cheaper alternatives to wire transfers?
Bank draft?
Apr 5, 2009
948 posts
334 upvotes
Toronto
What a dilemma.

I wonder if by splitting the money across multiple accounts (since you say we, I'm assuming that's several people), you can overcome €1000/month restriction and get your money faster. Still a hassle, but what can you do...
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2007
1657 posts
1316 upvotes
Mississauga
atm withdrawls
paypal
bitcoin
gold
get a credit card that you can pay using those funds
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
4028 upvotes
BC
duderaf wrote: atm withdrawls
paypal
bitcoin
gold
get a credit card that you can pay using those funds
IIRC they had limits on ATM withdrawals and paying for non-Greek credit cards too (at least initially during the whole Grexit crisis anyways).
POLL: How frequent is your RRSP-matching?
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2010
2564 posts
992 upvotes
RedBargainz wrote: We have 45000 Euros in a Greek bank which we would like to get transferred to Canada. We were told that with the current restrictions in Greece only 1000 Euros can be transferred out of the country per month. In addition, each wire transfer and conversion costs 25 euros at the originating bank and then $14CAD here at RBC to receive it. This seems like a lot of fees considering we will need to do this every month for the next 40 or so months. Are there any cheaper alternatives to wire transfers?
Are you sure the restrictions aren't for Greek residents only? Worth checking.
Deal Addict
May 9, 2004
1533 posts
1294 upvotes
Upstairs
Thanks everyone for all your input.
hvwozq wrote: TransferWise € 4.98 fee for 1000 EUR.
Zer0Zer0 wrote: Azimo.com

Thanks for the suggestions. Looks good. I'll check them out.
Last edited by RedBargainz on Oct 11th, 2016 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
May 9, 2004
1533 posts
1294 upvotes
Upstairs
greenmoon wrote: What a dilemma.

I wonder if by splitting the money across multiple accounts (since you say we, I'm assuming that's several people), you can overcome €1000/month restriction and get your money faster. Still a hassle, but what can you do...
Thanks. I was thinking the same thing. Would like to reduce the fees charged though since there will be so many transactions.
daverobev wrote: Are you sure the restrictions aren't for Greek residents only? Worth checking.
I believe the restrictions are for everyone since the goal is to limit the amount of money from leaving the country. I will look into it further.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15196 posts
5016 upvotes
Here 'n There

Greece would have to be brain dead to have not thought of closing the easy peasy loophole of someone just splitting the money into various accounts and then taking 1K Euros monthly out of each in tandem, but then again this is the country that got itself into this mess in the first place...
Last edited by eonibm on Oct 12th, 2016 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Apr 5, 2009
948 posts
334 upvotes
Toronto
eonibm wrote:

Greece would have to be brain dead to have not thought of closing the easy peasy loophole of someone just splitting the money into various accounts and taken 1K Euros monthly out of each in tandem, but then again this is the country that got itself into this mess in the first place...
I meant if one can do this for multiple people - have every family member open an account and take money out. That would not break the rules.
Deal Addict
May 9, 2004
1533 posts
1294 upvotes
Upstairs
greenmoon wrote:
eonibm wrote:

Greece would have to be brain dead to have not thought of closing the easy peasy loophole of someone just splitting the money into various accounts and taken 1K Euros monthly out of each in tandem, but then again this is the country that got itself into this mess in the first place...
I meant if one can do this for multiple people - have every family member open an account and take money out. That would not break the rules.
We thought of that, but it seems to be impossible to open an account unless you are physically there in person. In many ways, Greece is still years behind us in the way they do things.
Apr 5, 2009
948 posts
334 upvotes
Toronto
RedBargainz wrote:
greenmoon wrote:
eonibm wrote:

We thought of that, but it seems to be impossible to open an account unless you are physically there in person. In many ways, Greece is still years behind us in the way they do things.
Perhaps you can handle it Nigerian style, send out messages to locals in Greece, asking for help to get hold of your money ;)
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
4028 upvotes
BC
eonibm wrote:

Greece would have to be brain dead to have not thought of closing the easy peasy loophole of someone just splitting the money into various accounts and then taking 1K Euros monthly out of each in tandem, but then again this is the country that got itself into this mess in the first place...
You are right, they would have to be brain dead to do that (although they may have already proven they are brain dead) ... but you are responding to a suggestion involving multiple accounts for multiple people (specifically referring to the OP's use of "we").
POLL: How frequent is your RRSP-matching?
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)
Feb 13, 2015
227 posts
85 upvotes
Toronto
HSBC global transfer if you can meet other requirements? You can keep the money in Euros too if need be.

Also Canada does allow you to travel with $10000 CAD cash. Its frowned upon but its legal.

I would get bank drafts made every month, and get them fedexed every 3 months or so based on how long they are valid for.

I had a similar instance where it was easier to get the money as a 1% loan from the bank, move it across borders as lump sum, and pay the originating country each month.
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2654 posts
1461 upvotes
Richmond
sahiljain22 wrote: Also Canada does allow you to travel with $10000 CAD cash. Its frowned upon but its legal.
I think you can travel with as much cash as you want, and it's not "frowned upon". The requirement is that you must declare it if the amount is over $10,000, so that the government can track cash transfers to prevent tax evasion.
Feb 13, 2015
227 posts
85 upvotes
Toronto
Well over 10000 just gets you secondary screening, profiling and a lot of unnecessary questioning, even with the right paperwork. Yes, its possible to do it, but my 0.02 don't do it.