• Aug 25th, 2019 12:39 pm
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21701 posts
17374 upvotes
Markham

Alton Brown - Good Eats: The Return

Heeee's baaaaack.

The well known and loved food expert Alton Brown is finally premiering his old show as a new show.

Food Network - Sun Aug 25th 10pm and 10:30pm [back to back show].

https://www.foodnetwork.com/fn-dish/sho ... the-return

We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
15 replies
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
Alton Brown must own part of the Food network. Must be the reason he has shows. Sorry, not a fan. :)
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Mar 17, 2006
738 posts
203 upvotes
Markham
What's the difference between this new show and Good Eats Reloaded?
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21701 posts
17374 upvotes
Markham
Pete_Coach wrote: Alton Brown must own part of the Food network. Must be the reason he has shows. Sorry, not a fan. :)
How can you not like Alton Brown...he teaches/discusses history of dishes, chemistry, the why's the why nots, alternatives etc. with humour. As you can guess, I am a AB fan.

Guess you can't please everyone...it's just like I hate these food competition type shows like CHOPPED. What's the purpose of putting massive time pressure on a chef/cook and tell them to combine stupid nonsensical ingredients into a dish. WRG to CHOPPED, I'd like it if they put one of the judges under the same conditions [maybe they cook it before the show] - and the tasting should be blind ie you don't know who cooked what.
azndoughboi wrote: What's the difference between this new show and Good Eats Reloaded?
Good Eats: Reloaded => show creator Alton Brown will be renovating, updating -- and in some cases, repairing -- classic episodes of the long-running series.

Good Eats: The Return => are entirely new shows.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 14, 2007
5038 posts
1459 upvotes
Regina
i hate chopped and most competition cooking shows, am not a huge fan of AB but prefer him over any competition cooking show if had the choice...love Guy Fieri but will not watch grocery games...useless tv
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote: How can you not like Alton Brown...he teaches/discusses history of dishes, chemistry, the why's the why nots, alternatives etc. with humour. As you can guess, I am a AB fan.
I "blame" him for my knowledge of food today.
I used to put it on before I went to sleep. I still do sometimes.
it's just like I hate these food competition type shows like CHOPPED. What's the purpose of putting massive time pressure on a chef/cook and tell them to combine stupid nonsensical ingredients into a dish. WRG to CHOPPED, I'd like it if they put one of the judges under the same conditions [maybe they cook it before the show] - and the tasting should be blind ie you don't know who cooked what.
So much this.
Chopped and Top Chef make no sense to me.
Sure the chefs are good, and it's neat to see what they can produce, but it's boring.
Chopped is especially bad since you basically see the same 4 dishes because no one can figure out WTF to do with it.
Then someone gets killed because they made a minor technical error.

However, when you toss in some evil to these types of competitions you get Cutthroat Kitchen which is (was) my favorite food related show.
Chopped had time pressure. Cutthroat Kitchen took it to an extreme because it was funny. Extra funny because not only do you have 30 minutes to make something elaborate, your only cooking utensil is a shovel.
Plus the evilness of not just randomly assigning this, but having the other contestants spend their own money to try to screw you. Do you juggle between saving money and hopefully making more or spending your entire wad and "buying" your way to victory.
Team that with blind tasting and a judge that doesn't care that you had to cook while on a stair climber or literally tied to your opponent? Hilarity.
Alton Brown makes it too because in every other show he's wholesome and good. Here he's evil and loves it.

Oddly enough Guy's Grocery Games tries to do the same thing, but it's not nearly as good. I don't even watch it to be honest because it's almost like they're trying to be too much like Chopped with only a hint of evil.
Cutthroat Kitchen is only hilarious because it's full on evil.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Mar 17, 2006
738 posts
203 upvotes
Markham
Looks like one episode got posted on Youtube.
Apr 16, 2007
525 posts
829 upvotes
Northern Ontario
Alton Brown is awesome, I see him as the Bill Nye of food science. He's funny and entertaining and I'm super happy that Good Eats is back! I wish they'd bring back Cutthroat Kitchen, imo Cutthroat wasn't about the cooking but more about the adaptations and quick-thinking the chefs would have to do in specific situations. It was just a fun competition show.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
cope wrote: imo Cutthroat wasn't about the cooking but more about the adaptations and quick-thinking the chefs would have to do in specific situations.
Exactly.
A cooking competition isn't entertaining. Everyone is good enough that people will produce good results.
This is entertainment because while everyone can make soup, trying to make soup in a sheet pan while riding a donkey is just funny.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Dec 8, 2015
401 posts
230 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
I stopped watching the Food Network because of the stupid competition cooking shows. They ruined it. There was no balance anymore, just more and more competition shows. I loved the old skool favs like Grillin and Chillin, Sara Moulton shows, The Naked Chef, East Meets West, Iron Chef Japanese, Two Fat Ladies, etc. Confused Face
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
jemjem9 wrote: There was no balance anymore, just more and more competition shows.
That and DDD.
I don't think there's even a show that actually involves cooking any more.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4409 upvotes
jemjem9 wrote: I stopped watching the Food Network because of the stupid competition cooking shows. They ruined it. There was no balance anymore, just more and more competition shows. I loved the old skool favs like Grillin and Chillin, Sara Moulton shows, The Naked Chef, East Meets West, Iron Chef Japanese, Two Fat Ladies, etc. Confused Face
yeah, the Food Network has become the Game Show Network, the Game Show Network seems to show... well, anything but game shows... and if you want to see cooking shows, there's Cooking Channel and PBS.

I miss the pre-Food Network days when PBS on Saturday afternoons was all cooking shows. Ming Tsai, Death By Chocolate, Natalie Dupree, America's Test Kitchen etc, and of course the mid-90's Food Network* with Emeril Live, Mario Batali, Bobby Flay, Too Hot Tamales, etc.

*before they replaced Food Network USA with Food Network Canada... the Canadian shows were just awful, especially the Canadian replacement for Cooking Live with Sara Moulton... ugh, anybody remember that?

Once they fired Emeril Lagasse and hired Guy Fieri it was all downhill from there. Just rename the damn thing "Cooking Game Show Channel" and be done with it.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: yeah, the Food Network has become the Game Show Network, the Game Show Network seems to show... well, anything but game shows... and if you want to see cooking shows, there's Cooking Channel and PBS.
*points in general direction of whatever MTV is*

And PBS is actually kind of nice still. I think they still host ATK.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
jemjem9 wrote: I stopped watching the Food Network because of the stupid competition cooking shows. They ruined it. There was no balance anymore, just more and more competition shows. I loved the old skool favs like Grillin and Chillin, Sara Moulton shows, The Naked Chef, East Meets West, Iron Chef Japanese, Two Fat Ladies, etc. Confused Face
It is not just the Food Network that has these cooking competition shows. Other networks are picking them up too.
What is interesting is that I check to see who and what s cooking but not the whole show, I notice the same people time and time again. It seems the competitors are doing a circuit of the cooking shows.
Last edited by Pete_Coach on Aug 25th, 2019 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4409 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: It seems the competitors are doing a circuit of the cooking shows.
Not just the competitors but the judges too...
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: It seems the competitors are doing a circuit of the cooking shows.
It's even cross network too.
The first time I watched Cutthroat Kitchen I saw a bunch of people from Hell's Kitchen.