Off Topic Archive

Locked: Am i allowed to put snow on my neighbour's lawn?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 25th, 2005 9:35 pm
Tags:
None
Banned
Aug 20, 2004
132 posts

Am i allowed to put snow on my neighbour's lawn?

Well...it's that time again where snow is coming..

My next door neighbour (a**) said to my again, don't put snow on my lawn. For anyone who owns a driveway..you know what I mean --> you carry the snow to your lawn..and to the other lawn to dump it.

Is there any city law that prohibits you to put snow on your neighbour's lawn?
I'm just curious, because in case I do, I won't get charged with a lawsuit or anything.

Thanks
Share:
38 replies
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
177 upvotes
gmail wrote:Well...it's that time again where snow is coming..

My next door neighbour (a**) said to my again, don't put snow on my lawn. For anyone who owns a driveway..you know what I mean --> you carry the snow to your lawn..and to the other lawn to dump it.

Is there any city law that prohibits you to put snow on your neighbour's lawn?
I'm just curious, because in case I do, I won't get charged with a lawsuit or anything.

Thanks
Why do you need to dump your snow to your neighbour's lawn? Why don't you dump it to your own lawn? I have a driveway and I have no clue what you mean.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
5845 posts
431 upvotes
Don't you have a piece of lawn on both sides of your house? If there is lawn on both sides of your driveway then the half of the lawn closest to you on both sides is your lawn.
[OP]
Banned
Aug 20, 2004
132 posts
It takes way too much time...

Basically this is what I mean

Driveway is actually separated only by two lawns (mine and his)
Lawn ----------Driveway-----------Lawn
(His) (Mine)

Snow Falls..

I have to go back to his lawn..and push it all the way to mine.

Where if I used both..I could do it in less time (zig-zag motion)

Does it make sense???
Deal Guru
Mar 17, 2004
11327 posts
4 upvotes
Mountain View, CA
gmail wrote:It takes way too much time...

(His) (Mine)

Snow Falls..

Does it make sense???
Where is your fence? It shouldn't go like that. Your lawn technically stops at where the fence is lined up, not right by the driveway.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
5428 posts
171 upvotes
BC
i shovel my driveway from the middle and pile even amounts on each side, no need to throw snow over to my neighbours side. i think i'd get pissed if my neighbours did this to me.
That's my 2cents worth
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
177 upvotes
gmail wrote:It takes way too much time...

(His) (Mine)

Snow Falls..

Does it make sense???
Well, in this case, you should not dump your snow to his lawn. Just push it to your side. It is his property and you should not dump snow to his property.

What would you think if he decides to push snow to your property? That is move snow from his lawn to your driveway.

FYI, I move all the snow to only one side because the small strip of lawn between my house and my neighbour is too small. It is more efficent for me to move all the snow to the bigger side and leave the middle strip for my neighbour to dump his snow.

If you want to be efficient, buy the big scoop like I do. Even after the worst storm in the past 5 years, I clean my driveway (can park 4 cars) 15 minutes max including the case of half melted snow.
Oct 14, 2004
501 posts
Right when your driveway ends, the lawn is their property? I thought almost all houses have a small part of the lawn that will be shared with the neighbours.

He doesn't like you dumping extra snow on his lawn? Its going to snow anyways! :cheesygri Glad I have friendly neighbours.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
177 upvotes
Jetran wrote: He doesn't like you dumping extra snow on his lawn? Its going to snow anyways! :cheesygri Glad I have friendly neighbours.
Because salt can kill his lawn.

Also, he probably widen his driveway all the way.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2003
1284 posts
71 upvotes
Edmonton
There shouldn't be any salt on your drive way. it's fresh snow that you are clearing. However, if you are using salt....be sure that your drive way is not concrete. Salt is very bad on concrete.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
177 upvotes
canadiantofu wrote:There shouldn't be any salt on your drive way. it's fresh snow that you are clearing. However, if you are using salt....be sure that your drive way is not concrete. Salt is very bad on concrete.
Your car brings in salt even if you don't spread salt to your driveway. Those black rocky stuff stuck in your wheel area. When you stop in front of your garage (and wait for garage door to open), they drop. When you roll out from your garage, it will drop again. With that tiny snow fall 2 days ago, my driveway already have 4 black 'balls'.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2001
3497 posts
123 upvotes
Cochrane
Did you ask for his permission first?

Our back yard faces our neighbour on the other side of the street. His yard faces our yard. We don't have room on our side and when it snows over extended days there's no room for the snow to go. Pop asked him if it was ok since he never shovels his side and has a lot of room on his side. He gave us the ok and we've been doing it ever since. As a form of repayment, we would sometimes shove his side as well so he can get his car in.

Two happy campers.
Deal Guru
Apr 4, 2001
10040 posts
104 upvotes
canadiantofu wrote:There shouldn't be any salt on your drive way. it's fresh snow that you are clearing.
Doesn't matter. Stupid people can imagine any scenario and convince themselves that it's true (I'm not talking about gman, I'm talking about the people who are scared of anything and everything and express it with constant anger).

What if he thinks you're religious, and therefore that God puts salt in the snow that falls on your driveway as a sign of appreciation?
Deal Guru
Dec 20, 2003
10463 posts
70 upvotes
Ottawa
gman wrote:Because salt can kill his lawn.

Also, he probably widen his driveway all the way.
Good point; poor bags of salt all over the snow piled up on his lawn. I mean, if he's complaining about it being on his property, than it's your duty to remove the snow as fast as possible.

Mmm... vengence is a dish best served cold.
- Absolute
Nov 22, 2004
652 posts
Well I don't know the laws, But common sense tells me if he tells you not to dump snow on his land then you may not..

Would you pile other stuff on his land and think its okay??

Bricks? Sand? Dirt? your car? Ash felt?

Just push it out on the street... To hell with the bylaws...
× < >