• Sep 6th, 2012 10:23 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2007
2525 posts
58 upvotes

Am I being scammed? Buying car off Kijiji

Its a 2002 Altima 3.5. I went over and it was starting to get dark. The story I was told was that the seller's friend had left the country and the seller bought it off of him to resell. I inspected the outside, no rust at all, a small dent here or there. Great condition. I had him turn it on and popped the hood. There was a light knocking that he said was because it needed and oil change. The deal is that he saftied and etests it. He said he's going to do it at Canadian tire so that it's on the up and up. I asked him which one and he told me. The car isn't insured so I went up and down the apartment parking lot. No hesitation, it's got a lot of power and great breaking. No real noises when I turned the wheel from end to end. No clunking or creaking when I shifted. He wants a 200 deposite to get it saftied and etested, which will be taken out of the total. It's all going to be documented. What do you think? Im going to ask for the copies of the paperwork from Canadian tire so i know who does the work. Anything else I should ask for or do?
31 replies
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2010
14958 posts
2921 upvotes
Toronto
ashgotti wrote: Its a 2002 Altima 3.5. I went over and it was starting to get dark. The story I was told was that the seller's friend had left the country and the seller bought it off of him to resell. I inspected the outside, no rust at all, a small dent here or there. Great condition. I had him turn it on and popped the hood. There was a light knocking that he said was because it needed and oil change. The deal is that he saftied and etests it. He said he's going to do it at Canadian tire so that it's on the up and up. I asked him which one and he told me. The car isn't insured so I went up and down the apartment parking lot. No hesitation, it's got a lot of power and great breaking. No real noises when I turned the wheel from end to end. No clunking or creaking when I shifted. He wants a 200 deposite to get it saftied and etested, which will be taken out of the total. It's all going to be documented. What do you think? Im going to ask for the copies of the paperwork from Canadian tire so i know who does the work. Anything else I should ask for or do?
I rather get mechanic buddy to look at the car first then put down the deposit. It doesn't seem to be like a scam if the car is not a dud.

You do have a mechanic buddy right?
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2007
2525 posts
58 upvotes
wilsonlam97 wrote: I rather get mechanic buddy to look at the car first then put down the deposit. It doesn't seem to be like a scam if the car is not a dud.

You do have a mechanic buddy right?
I know someone but I'll have to see if he'll go there to see it.

The price is low but he said he wants to get rid of it because it's taking up his parking spot.
May 29, 2012
743 posts
40 upvotes
MAPLE RIDGE
I'd rather either get it inspected by someone you know, or have him get it inspected by someone you both know without paying the deposit. I think they should include the inspection in the price, IMO, without requiring you to pay first.
UBC Year 3 BA Student: Major in Mathematics
Unrealistic dream :cry: : Law school...
Goal: Pursue a MA in Economics and a designation- CFA maybe?
Vancouver is nice if you have money and like the rain...
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2007
2525 posts
58 upvotes
The catch is that it isn't insured so he doesn't want to get it temporary plated if I'm not committed. I really want the car, there aren't many v6s.
Banned
Sep 22, 2008
8322 posts
548 upvotes
sounds like a curbsider, he bought it off his friend to resell.
Deal Expert
Oct 7, 2010
15536 posts
5790 upvotes
packardbell wrote: sounds like a curbsider, he bought it off his friend to resell.
your right. he didn't plate it himself after he bought it off his "friend" quote quote. i wouldn't buy from curbsider, they aren't dealers so why they can make $ off of trading cars is beyond me.
Deal Guru
Sep 6, 2002
11548 posts
5376 upvotes
Moving target
sounds like a curbsider if you ask me. Keep in mind a safety inspection in this province is a joke and should not be confused with a through inspection you would pay an independent mechanic for. I would certainly not give him $200, your recourse if things did go sour would be small claims court. Which you wouldn't bother with over $200.

I say throw the ball back in his court, he's going to have to safety and certify the car at some point. Maybe ask his "friend" to cover the costs... since he's doing his "friend" such a big favor.
Autocorrect sucks
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2007
3531 posts
642 upvotes
Corktown
UVIP? Did the ownership change when the "parking spot dude" bought it off his friend? If not, how do you get legit sign-off on transfer?

Fast forward 1 week...

"How do I get my deposit back? V6 Altima has disappeared."
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2006
8355 posts
2267 upvotes
GTA
This sounds like a scam. I would walk away.
Aug 16, 2007
944 posts
136 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Link of kijiji ad ?
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2008
3396 posts
648 upvotes
416 REAL T-D0T not 9…
izzyzz wrote: This sounds like a scam. I would walk away.
+1 to this.
[Signature removed due to rule violation]
Deal Addict
Aug 8, 2012
1098 posts
37 upvotes
ashgotti wrote: Its a 2002 Altima 3.5. I went over and it was starting to get dark. The story I was told was that the seller's friend had left the country and the seller bought it off of him to resell. I inspected the outside, no rust at all, a small dent here or there. Great condition. I had him turn it on and popped the hood. There was a light knocking that he said was because it needed and oil change. The deal is that he saftied and etests it. He said he's going to do it at Canadian tire so that it's on the up and up. I asked him which one and he told me. The car isn't insured so I went up and down the apartment parking lot. No hesitation, it's got a lot of power and great breaking. No real noises when I turned the wheel from end to end. No clunking or creaking when I shifted. He wants a 200 deposite to get it saftied and etested, which will be taken out of the total. It's all going to be documented. What do you think? Im going to ask for the copies of the paperwork from Canadian tire so i know who does the work. Anything else I should ask for or do?
Not a good sign even if it needed an oil change, Engine knock = always bad.
Banned
Jul 10, 2012
620 posts
59 upvotes
Toronto
If he in fact were selling on behalf of his friend, he would have gotten a power of attorney. The reason being that if it got transferred to his name, then he would have to pay tax on the car. We're talking at least $400 he could have avoided with a $50 power of attorney. In fact, as long as his friend had signed the back I think he can transfer to your name. Stay back from this deal; sounds like a curbsider.

Edit: ENGINE KNOCK? Are you kidding me? If an oil change would fix that, he would have fixed it before showing you the car!!! And I haven't heard oil change leading to engine knocks... Too bad some people will probably fall for these scams.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2002
7041 posts
652 upvotes
BC Interior
Walk away. As has been said, no magical oil change will fix engine knocking. I don't recall the VQ35s being particularly noisy or prone to knocking which means its likely something potentially more serious and costly.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31836 posts
1354 upvotes
ashgotti wrote: I know someone but I'll have to see if he'll go there to see it.

The price is low but he said he wants to get rid of it because it's taking up his parking spot.
Keep in mind, as part of any decent proper inspection, it needs to be up on a hoist, scanned for codes, put through a proper test drive on hwy and city etc. etc. ....and, you need a CarProof ( i.e liens, reported accidents ) as well.
" The placebo effect is the most powerful supplement of all "
" The pain of discipline weighs ounces, the pain of neglect weighs tons "
" The best training in the world can't overcome a lousy diet "
TRAIN HARD !!!!
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31836 posts
1354 upvotes
ashgotti wrote: He wants a 200 deposite to get it saftied and etested, which will be taken out of the total. ?
Walk away.
" The placebo effect is the most powerful supplement of all "
" The pain of discipline weighs ounces, the pain of neglect weighs tons "
" The best training in the world can't overcome a lousy diet "
TRAIN HARD !!!!
Banned
Jul 10, 2012
620 posts
59 upvotes
Toronto
poedua wrote: Keep in mind, as part of any decent proper inspection, it needs to be up on a hoist, scanned for codes, put through a proper test drive on hwy and city etc. etc. ....and, you need a CarProof ( i.e liens, reported accidents ) as well.
A used car I bought has 2 accidents, at about $1400 and $3200 2-3 years ago. I have shown the car to a mechanic and runs well. Do you think there is anything to worry about?
Deal Expert
Feb 26, 2004
26998 posts
4337 upvotes
OP is in for a world of financial hurt if he buys a car with engine knock.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)