Home & Garden

Am I better to pay someone to sod my lawn or do it myself??

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 2nd, 2015 5:10 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jan 9, 2008
39 posts
Toronto, ON

Am I better to pay someone to sod my lawn or do it myself??

My front lawn is a mess and is beyond the point of saving. I am looking to rip up the whole thing and start over again. Just wondering what costs are involved in doing it myself.

I have had a couple of guys quote me on doing it for me, one guy was $1,500 and the other was $1,050...quite a difference! The lower priced guy was a student who has been doing this for the past two summers on his own...before that with a larger landscaping company.

I'm not adverse to doing it myself but would have to rent a sod cutter, tiller and roller. I would also have to pay to dispose of the old sod, then purchase new top soil and sod. The mystery for me is how/where to dispose of the sod. Any ideas on what it might cost to dump it? I can get pricing on rental of equipment and top soil and sod pricing....the disposal cost is what I'm not too sure of. I live in Oshawa...does anyone know of a cheap place out here for disposal?

Any input would be appreciated!
43 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2002
4014 posts
31 upvotes
I just tilled all the old sod into the dirt. It's pretty tough work and more so if you need to cut a lot of corners. If it's few cuts then it's not too hard. It's hard for anyone to judge the price as you haven't mention the area that needs sod, or if the quotes include sod. For you prices, also consider the transport costs of sod and soil.
May 21, 2007
135 posts
27 upvotes
For 1050 I'll sure to hire some one to do it. Consider the rental and hard work and time you put into it, unless you enjoy doing ot.
i just tilled my entire lawn and planning to add soil and seeding it, its a lots of work. The cost for me is about 1000 for 5000 SF.
Oct 10, 2006
164 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
Why bother with a sod cutter unless you are going to reuse the sod? I did my front and rear year myself - just rented a gas tiller and enriched it with compost etc. Then ordered sod online, who delivered it. Just drop it into place and roll them out. At the end use a heavy roller and water. It is physical labour but if you are up to it, it's totally doable.
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2006
7167 posts
675 upvotes
how much do installers charge typically, i have a rough grade done on my new house, but ill need topsoil and sod, its around 44x40 feet.

Sod here is around 3 bucks a roll i think if I buy myself.
[OP]
Jan 9, 2008
39 posts
Toronto, ON
Yes, I realized later I forgot to post dimensions. If I were to estimate (as I'm at work and don't have a tape measure) I would say roughly 700 square feet.

As mentioned, the mystery to me is the disposal fee. I'm not sure if the municipal landfill would take this and how much they would charge. Is anyone familiar with Durham region disposal fees for something like this? Ideally I'd love to find a place to take it for less, or free (in an ideal world!).

Thanks...
[OP]
Jan 9, 2008
39 posts
Toronto, ON
glugglughic wrote:
Apr 30th, 2012 1:10 pm
Why bother with a sod cutter unless you are going to reuse the sod? I did my front and rear year myself - just rented a gas tiller and enriched it with compost etc. Then ordered sod online, who delivered it. Just drop it into place and roll them out. At the end use a heavy roller and water. It is physical labour but if you are up to it, it's totally doable.
My concern with just tilling whats there is the crab grass and weeds which seem to have taken over will now be under the new grass. I would hate to re-sod and then have the same old weeds popping back up again. My thinking was to get rid of the old sod/weed problem, put down some good top soil, then put the new sod on top of it.

How long ago did you sod your lawn? Do you have any weeds coming through?
Oct 10, 2006
164 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
Without treatment, you would not be able to stop the weeds anyway. Even with new top soil and sod, you will see weeds take root by the next season. If you have a large area, then the 1k isn't that much but I would (and do) use a company to do weed control. I did the project myself a couple years ago. I ordered my sod from Fairgreensod.com. It seems to be a good product but it really depends on the quality of soil you have, how you enrich it (compost, fertilizer) and how you maintain (weed control, watering, and a sharp mower).
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2005
2528 posts
357 upvotes
Ottawa
I went through this last spring. In true rfd style I simply put down about 3" of topsoil and seeded.

Didn't bother to till or weed what was already there. A few weeds made it through but not that meany that I couldn't manage them by hand.

The grass is well established now and choked out most of the weeds.

Did about 2500 sq ft last year for a total cost of about $500 and plan to do another patch this year. I figure why not combine exercise with saving money ;)
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2006
7167 posts
675 upvotes
dirtmover wrote:
Apr 30th, 2012 2:46 pm
I went through this last spring. In true rfd style I simply put down about 3" of topsoil and seeded.

Didn't bother to till or weed what was already there. A few weeds made it through but not that meany that I couldn't manage them by hand.

The grass is well established now and choked out most of the weeds.

Did about 2500 sq ft last year for a total cost of about $500 and plan to do another patch this year. I figure why not combine exercise with saving money ;)

can you break down that cost, when you say seeded, did you not put sod, just grass seed?
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2005
2528 posts
357 upvotes
Ottawa
rocking23nf wrote:
Apr 30th, 2012 3:12 pm
can you break down that cost, when you say seeded, did you not put sod, just grass seed?

no sod
1 bag of seed from Costco = $32.99 (with $10 rebate :D )
1 dump truck of topsoil ~23yards = $400
A few evenings of grunt work = free
water - no different to sod
patience - it takes a full year to get fully established

total ~$500 inc tax
Banned
Jan 2, 2009
413 posts
73 upvotes
I did the same thing.

1. 3" of topsoil on top of the old lawn,
2. mixed 3 species of seed and 10-10-10 fertilizer myself (you pay an insane amount for the premixed stuff),
3. spread seed,
4. raked seed in lightly,
5. tamped with a water-filled roller and
6. watered watered watered.

Took 2 months to establish the best lawn on my street. The species of grass your lawn prefers will naturally dominate. The next year I overseeded to further crowd out any potential weeds.
May 10, 2010
252 posts
30 upvotes
rocking23nf wrote:
Apr 30th, 2012 1:13 pm
how much do installers charge typically, i have a rough grade done on my new house, but ill need topsoil and sod, its around 44x40 feet.

Sod here is around 3 bucks a roll i think if I buy myself.

My company charges $2/ft2 which is about middle of the road. More expensive companies can charge about $2.50/ft2 and you can probably find a decent company that will do it for $1.50, just make sure when you sign that contract that you know what you're getting (e.g. depth of topsoil/triple mix that you are getting).
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2006
7167 posts
675 upvotes
alsmow wrote:
Apr 30th, 2012 10:54 pm
My company charges $2/ft2 which is about middle of the road. More expensive companies can charge about $2.50/ft2 and you can probably find a decent company that will do it for $1.50, just make sure when you sign that contract that you know what you're getting (e.g. depth of topsoil/triple mix that you are getting).

Is that 2$/square foot + cost of sod + cost of topsoil?

my back yard is 1700 square feet, Thats going to add up really quick!
May 10, 2010
252 posts
30 upvotes
@rocking23nf no, that is everything included
× < >