Food & Drink

Am I crazy to like plain Greek yogurt by itself?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 30th, 2014 10:40 pm
Tags:
None
Banned
Jan 27, 2014
5574 posts
2580 upvotes

Am I crazy to like plain Greek yogurt by itself?

Had it for the first time yesterday and mmm mmm nice and tart. Getting almost 20g of protein per serving!

Also mixed it into my protein shake and it made the shake even better and more creamy.

Anyone else a fan of Greek yogurt here?

I bought the Danone oikos brand as it was on "sale" for $3.50 or so at Wal-Mart. I want to try the other brands too if they come on sale.
30 replies
May 28, 2012
12484 posts
5278 upvotes
Saskatoon
I like Greek Gods honey flavoured Greek Yogurt from Costco (2-650g tubs for ~$9) and also Liberte Mediterranean style yogurt; the lemon one is a favourite...tried Chobani yogurt in the States and thought it was vile, too sour...so I'm probably not a fan of unsweetened yogurt.

My first taste of Greek yogurt was Danone Oikos, but now I like other brands more. Also tried the Astro brand and did not like.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
6029 posts
1391 upvotes
Toronto
Nothing wrong with Greek yogurt by itself....i also buy Greek gods brand..goes on sale at Metro every 4 weeks or so...the honey one is pretty good.

I only get the yogurts with 5%MF and above....no need to make this into a macro diet thread but I find those 2%MF yogurts and less a waste....especially if it's so-called greek
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Banned
Jan 27, 2014
5574 posts
2580 upvotes
No Frills wrote: Nothing wrong with Greek yogurt by itself....i also buy Greek gods brand..goes on sale at Metro every 4 weeks or so...the honey one is pretty good.

I only get the yogurts with 5%MF and above....no need to make this into a macro diet thread but I find those 2%MF yogurts and less a waste....especially if it's so-called greek
Where do you find 5% MF? I only saw maximum 2% MF I believe at Wal-Mart...for both Greek yogurt and cottage cheese.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
6029 posts
1391 upvotes
Toronto
I think the only exactly yogurt 5%MF I see are the Liberte 4x portions...don't remember if its greek or not but theyre flavoured...vanilla bean and raspberry I see the most.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2005
3167 posts
1209 upvotes
Montreal
yeah... i like plain yoghurt as well, esp greek. If you're able to find 11 % it's great.
Sometimes I eat it with maple syrup and granola!
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21709 posts
9002 upvotes
Toronto
Actually, it's good to like Greek yogurt by itself. Buy it that way always. That way, when (or if) you desire to have fruit with it you can add your own fruit and you will always be able to add as much or as little fruit as you'd like.
Not just the select amount found in the fruity Greek yogurts out there.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2003
15213 posts
1671 upvotes
Markham
I like the plain stuff too, but none of that 0%MF garbage
ShadowVlican
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2008
1122 posts
113 upvotes
There are some 10% yogurts out there.. I don't think they're greek yogurts, but they're sooo good.
Aug 30, 2009
118 posts
36 upvotes
GTA
Liberté "Méditerranée" is good! They have plain at 10%MF!!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
9295 posts
3156 upvotes
Mississauga
You all haven't had Greek yogurt until you've actually had the real thing in Greece! The restaurants make it fresh on their premises. What a difference.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2008
2891 posts
259 upvotes
Raggie wrote: You all haven't had Greek yogurt until you've actually had the real thing in Greece! The restaurants make it fresh on their premises. What a difference.
You can make it yourself too: take any yogurt, place over cheesecloth over a bowl, and let it strain for a while. Voila, Greek yogurt.
The best way to become ordinary is to follow the advice of ordinary people.
Unless you've actually tried something, your comments are virtually meaningless.
Condemnation before investigation is the highest form of ignorance
Deal Fanatic
Jul 10, 2003
8086 posts
3869 upvotes
I love Greek Yogurt with a little honey, but I only eat Fage. Everything else is garbage.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2007
3726 posts
432 upvotes
Greek yogurt with a high fat percentage (like ones made with cream) taste really good on their own.

It's disappointing that the awful 0% variants dominate the store shelves.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
9295 posts
3156 upvotes
Mississauga
Sibica wrote: You can make it yourself too: take any yogurt, place over cheesecloth over a bowl, and let it strain for a while. Voila, Greek yogurt.
Not the same when the yogurt is made fresh with organic pure ingredients.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Banned
Jan 27, 2014
5574 posts
2580 upvotes
LNahid2000 wrote: I love Greek Yogurt with a little honey, but I only eat Fage. Everything else is garbage.
Where do you buy Fage from?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 10, 2003
8086 posts
3869 upvotes
ar2020 wrote: Where do you buy Fage from?
I buy it in the U.S. when I can because it's WAY cheaper, but when I don't have a chance to go and I'm desperate, I go to Summerhill Market in Rosedale. It's expensive ($2.99 for 200g) but they randomly have sales where it can be as low as 99 cents for 200g and then I go crazy and buy all their stock. It's the only store in Ontario which sells Fage. I'm a little obsessed with the stuff.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
6617 posts
1014 upvotes
BC
ShadowVlican wrote: I like the plain stuff too, but none of that 0%MF garbage
The one I buy is 0% and it tastes great.
That's my 2cents worth
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2008
1166 posts
134 upvotes
Toronto
How to make yogourt.
Get all organic milk (however many liters do you want)
Pour it into a metal bowl.
Slowly boil until it bubbles once or twice.
Without mixing it take it off the fire.
Let it cool until it doesn't burn your pinky finger.
At the corner of your pan add one or two table spoon of yogourt (again the best kind you can buy, organic i mean)
Don't mix it at all, don't touch it. Just cover it with the lid and may be without disturbing the yogourt, wrap it around with a cloth to keep it warm in room temperature for 3-4 hours or better yet, overnight.
Once you see it reached the yogourt consistency, keep it in the fridge for up to weeks if not consumed by then :)
If you drain the water out of yogoyrt with a cheese cloth, it gets creamier and a little more sauer best for making light sauces, zaziki etc.
In the balkans and Turkey, yoghourt is a common staple that is consumed with almost all meals at all times, like lemon and olive oil.
In Turkey they also make a salty drink called ayran. Mix the ice, salt, yogourt and water in a blender. drink it when it is cold with kebabs or anything spicy.
enjoy.
My favorite way of eating yogourt is a fresh slice of white bread. :)
Feb 27, 2012
105 posts
12 upvotes
OTTAWA
My best way to eat plain yoghurt is this: the Balkan style yoghurt (don't know whether that qualifies as 'Greek' yoghurt though), mixed with some cherry jam that has been macerated in some kirsch in the fridge for a while. Of course by that time, it's no longer 'plain' but I consider that concoction a treat and try not to feel too guilty eating it.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)