Shopping Discussion

Am I the only one who finds Starbucks to be a complete rip off?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 14th, 2010 7:55 pm
Tags:
None
Banned
Dec 6, 2008
771 posts
65 upvotes
Alberta boy

Am I the only one who finds Starbucks to be a complete rip off?

Paying 10 times the price for your coffee in which it costs to make. Or $2.50+ for a tiny snack that is enough to feed a mouse. And not even that great to begin with, ive encountered many occasions where starbucks had stail muffins. Why people go crazy for starbucks is beyond me, ill never understand the hype for this place.
123 replies
Deal Addict
May 4, 2004
1721 posts
14 upvotes
if it is not your cup of tea, then don't buy it. No one force you to buy them. You can't afford then you can always make your own at home. You are not their target market/customers.
--------------

My Heatware - tonychau
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
11677 posts
3489 upvotes
Victoria
Not really. I tend to go to Tim Horton's because I'm not a coffee connisseur and I just want to ask for a coffee, and not have to make choices :)

Lots of other people I work with prefer the stronger coffee they have at starbucks. To each their own. To me it does seem a bit more expensive, but they seemed to be aimed at a different client base.
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2008
2005 posts
103 upvotes
GTA
Most fast food is a rip off, with a little effort you can easily make whatever they are selling better at home. I only eat FF on occasion. I have never had Starbucks (rarely drink coffee) but my friend tells me it's some of the worst coffee available. Worse than Tim Horton's because the quality is about the same but they charge more.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
9280 posts
3006 upvotes
London
They're not selling food, they are selling 'an experience'. :razz:
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
21133 posts
9788 upvotes
Toronto
Ottomaddox wrote: They're not selling food, they are selling 'an experience'. :razz:
An experience in getting ripped off.
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
21223 posts
6991 upvotes
GTA
Ottomaddox wrote: They're not selling food, they are selling 'an experience'. :razz:
You're supposed to sit down for an hour, with a Macbook open, an iPhone/Blackberry on the table, with a Grande Latte/Frapp/Tea, and just sit there and look pretty. If you don't do that, you ain't doing it right.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2009
1058 posts
50 upvotes
London ON
i go there sometimes for co workers
what a corny place - outragous prices and rediculous names for the most common thing "can i get a grande skinny caramel frappuccino?"
i ordered one of those and 3 of their ginger something cookies and it came to $11 :rolleyes:
Deal Fanatic
May 31, 2006
6365 posts
776 upvotes
Toronto
I agree... its a pretty big rip. I buy things there the odd time. They're prob hurting from the recession anyway. Being able to afford it is one thing... making a smart purchase is another. I'd rather get a meal than drink 2-3 cups of their drinks but then again... there are those people that say they get full from a drink at starbucks :lol:
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2009
1138 posts
180 upvotes
Toronto
I so agree on the stale muffins and rip-off part. Starbucks is some over-hyped and overpriced crap. The only reason I would walk in there is to talk to the pretty coffee slaves. :lol:
[QUOTE]Bucian66: I hate how condescending some users are towards others. I just wish they would be banned. Earlier: At least I've actually put effort in posting links to show the pricing. What have you done? No links to last years Black Friday sales? No links to Boxing Day sales? What a troll.[/QUOTE]
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2006
2992 posts
1952 upvotes
PhysicalTorque wrote: I so agree on the stale muffins and rip-off part. Starbucks is some over-hyped and overpriced crap. The only reason I would walk in there is to talk to the pretty coffee slaves. :lol:

+1 on the snacks as a rip, I like the choco pretzles though and at 1.65 not a bad price.

Starbucks has to make money and food operations run at 31% ( generally)food cost. Starbucks would be lower than this number though. I am guessing the low 20% . Cups cost .11, sleaves .05, lid .05, milk for the latte, expresso 2 shots. Rough cost on a grande latte is .41. Add in staff costs, marketing and equipment up keep (expresso machines are a pain to keep going). Now don't forget rent. Starbucks are generally found in high rent loactions. The Banff starbucks does not pay it's rent for the year until late may.

Is Starbucks a ripp off? Not really, the lattes are consistently well made, the expresso is decent not great though. Places are clean. Washrooms are clean. Comfy chairs in some and free newspapers and wifi. For 5 bucks, not bad!! throw in:
pretty coffee slaves
and it's a great deal.
Aug 11, 2008
658 posts
37 upvotes
Victoria
too many people think about cost as the manufacturing cost. "there is only 30 cents worth of liquid in that cup, why am I paying $2?"
I'm sure they would only charge 40 cents for the coffee if they didn't have to pay good staff, have stores open, make money to open new stores, have machines to make the coffee, have furniture in the store, pay for utlilities, etc. there is more to running a successful business than straight manufacturing costs.

And usually Starbucks employees are MUCH better than other "fast food" places. I'm happy if I get someone at Tim Horton's that speaks english, and even more happy if they even smile at me.
If I go to Starbucks, they are all super happy, some remember my name, or remember what kind of drinks I get, will say high to me on when they are busing, etc. They're employees also learn about the drinks they sell, taste them, they even have to taste what a bad espresso shot will taste like so they know to not make bad ones for customers. Usually if there is even the slightest mixup you'll get a free drink coupon, etc.

Another thing is that it's a lot easier to get exactly what you want, with what milk, foam/no foam, exta whip, extra syrups, etc.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2006
1233 posts
27 upvotes
tomthegreat wrote: too many people think about cost as the manufacturing cost. "there is only 30 cents worth of liquid in that cup, why am I paying $2?"
I'm sure they would only charge 40 cents for the coffee if they didn't have to pay good staff, have stores open, make money to open new stores, have machines to make the coffee, have furniture in the store, pay for utlilities, etc. there is more to running a successful business than straight manufacturing costs.

And usually Starbucks employees are MUCH better than other "fast food" places. I'm happy if I get someone at Tim Horton's that speaks english, and even more happy if they even smile at me.
If I go to Starbucks, they are all super happy, some remember my name, or remember what kind of drinks I get, will say high to me on when they are busing, etc. They're employees also learn about the drinks they sell, taste them, they even have to taste what a bad espresso shot will taste like so they know to not make bad ones for customers. Usually if there is even the slightest mixup you'll get a free drink coupon, etc.

Another thing is that it's a lot easier to get exactly what you want, with what milk, foam/no foam, exta whip, extra syrups, etc.
The President for Starbucks fanclub has spoken :D
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
7626 posts
161 upvotes
Montreal
i prefer Second Cup. while still a rip off, it's a tad cheaper than Starbucks and they do not confuse you with stupid coffee names
have you seen boxing day? if you have any infos that can help us locate him, please contact us @ 1‒800‒867‒5309

(V)^,,,,^(V) woop woop woop woop woop
flashy_mcflash wrote: haha. Though seriously, what a ridiculous year for CG to be trendy. If there was one year NOT to spend $600 on a coat, it was this winter.
Banned
May 3, 2009
6148 posts
781 upvotes
Yankees 1903 wrote: Most fast food is a rip off, with a little effort you can easily make whatever they are selling better at home. I only eat FF on occasion. I have never had Starbucks (rarely drink coffee) but my friend tells me it's some of the worst coffee available. Worse than Tim Horton's because the quality is about the same but they charge more.
Holy Coffee Cow, you sir are officially a Yankee!
Deal Expert
Dec 5, 2006
16792 posts
12577 upvotes
Markham
I like starbucks. but just want to say,Wendy's coffee is pretty good too!
Mar 5, 2009
201 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto
tomthegreat wrote: Another thing is that it's a lot easier to get exactly what you want, with what milk, foam/no foam, exta whip, extra syrups, etc.
I have to agree with this point. If I wanted a special coffee drink (anything that's beyond brewed coffee + sugar + cream), I'd go to Starbucks for the variety. However, as I (and probably most people) drink regular coffee, then Starbucks is over the top.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2010
2959 posts
139 upvotes
coriolis wrote: You're supposed to sit down for an hour, with a Macbook open, an iPhone/Blackberry on the table, with a Grande Latte/Frapp/Tea, and just sit there and look pretty. If you don't do that, you ain't doing it right.
lol

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)