Richmond

Am I the only person found search function does not work here

never got right results if I want to search keyword in the title area

:confused:
19 replies
Apr 7, 2007
229 posts
18 upvotes
You're not alone. I've yet to find another website with a search that works this poorly.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2004
4205 posts
505 upvotes
Calgary
rfd should write "Search (Beta testing, use at your own risk for free)"
6b 6f 63 6f 6d 61 6e 20 6f 66 20 63 64 6d 61 2d 64 65 76 2d 74 65 61 6d
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
21266 posts
6251 upvotes
Poormond Hill
RFD doesn't want you to use the search feature.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 17, 2013
5120 posts
1501 upvotes
Montreal
If you would have searched first you would have found the answer.... oh wait

In all seriousness I find Google great for searching rfd.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15169 posts
2743 upvotes
raid-5 wrote: never got right results if I want to search keyword in the title area

:confused:
use google.."search string,rfd"

at least you can count on google bots to do their job.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2004
1071 posts
121 upvotes
just do: site:forums.redflagdeals.com "what you wanta search"
using your browser
Oct 16, 2007
837 posts
51 upvotes
i thought it was my browser.. :) The RFD search button did not work a while...I used mostly the "search by thread titles only" and it returns random posts/threads!
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41890 posts
1783 upvotes
Canada
raid-5 wrote: Am I the only person found search function does not work here
At least you found something with it! :D
Somebody removed my sig for no reason, without even telling me.
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2011
1484 posts
380 upvotes
It's insanity. I despise this site often for its 3rd world search function. It's truly a head shaker how they can be so freaking cheap that they're unable to program it properly.

It has driven me to the point that when I went to look for a thread, I type into chrome: "RFD... (thread content)" - It's absurd.

... How is Google better at finding specific content, then the search function of a site that ONLY stores and searches it's own data??

I DUNNNN UNDERSTAND.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 17, 2013
5120 posts
1501 upvotes
Montreal
How cheap rfd is?? What?? How much do you pay to use this site...?
Banned
May 12, 2004
9756 posts
4136 upvotes
Ottawa
daikman wrote: It's insanity. I despise this site often for its 3rd world search function. It's truly a head shaker how they can be so freaking cheap that they're unable to program it properly.

It has driven me to the point that when I went to look for a thread, I type into chrome: "RFD... (thread content)" - It's absurd.

... How is Google better at finding specific content, then the search function of a site that ONLY stores and searches it's own data??

I DUNNNN UNDERSTAND.
Come on now, you've got a fat kid waving at you in the top right when you log in, a trending deals widget...and you're going to be high maintenance and complain about missing obvious functionality? That's sooo 2013. :razz:
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2006
1113 posts
824 upvotes
Moncton
It seems that this has gotten even worse lately - especially when searching thread titles only. This should be the easiest type of search to make work correctly, yet it seems to return garbage. Perhaps someone should "sticky" this thread and we can link to it every time some clown says "search". :mad:
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
12805 posts
3477 upvotes
daikman wrote: It's insanity. I despise this site often for its 3rd world search function. It's truly a head shaker how they can be so freaking cheap that they're unable to program it properly.

I DUNNNN UNDERSTAND.
Well... searching is what Google does best. It's like saying, "How is my accountant better at doing my taxes and getting me a bigger return than me? I ONLY have to figure out my own taxes and nobody else??"
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
18226 posts
36618 upvotes
Scarborough
I know search is somewhat broken but for most of the things I want to find, it works ok. I'm going to sound like a broken record here but it is actually being worked on. I'm 99% sure it will be fixed this year although I can't say for sure when.
RFD Staff - Got a question? Send me a private message.
[Forum Rules] [Deal Alerts]
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
8554 posts
5570 upvotes
Trudostan
Glad I'm not alone, thought it may have been adblock and noscript somehow breaking it (even if off). Most annoying is how sometimes Costco East threads won't appear , except old ones or occasionally in assorted order with the correct one further down somwwhere. Usually I just use google to search RFD.
SAMSUNG SUCKS! NO SSD WARRANTY IN CANADA > https://forums.redflagdeals.com/has-any ... d-2098075/
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2005
1000 posts
250 upvotes
Toronto
skinnyp wrote: just do: site:forums.redflagdeals.com "what you wanta search"
using your browser
Thanks, I never thought of that. I tried everything to search the forums and never had success. Why doesn't RFD just replace the search function with instructions on how to search with Google?
May 17, 2012
642 posts
654 upvotes
Montreal
Well that's a relief.

Every time I read a thread where people respond "USE THE SEARCH BUTTON YOU DUM**SS" I get nervous that at some point, that person (who gets this response) is going to be me as I can never seem to find what I'm looking for either. Not only do results not include all expected posts (as in, I manually find some by browsing that I don't find with the search funciton) but also, when I try the next day a search (either in title or general search) with the SAME EXACT WORDS I don't get the same results (as in, posts that were there the day before can't seem to be found anymore).

Of note ; search within a thread function seems to work fine though. Anyway, I love RFD regardless but this is really irritating.

And also ; can you remove the "wait for 15 seconds before searching again" nonsense? If I do a typo and get no results back it's even more frustrating to have to wait for an awkward 12-13 seconds before searching again. The things I could have done with all those 10-15 seconds!
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
18226 posts
36618 upvotes
Scarborough
bennyboy84 wrote: And also ; can you remove the "wait for 15 seconds before searching again" nonsense? If I do a typo and get no results back it's even more frustrating to have to wait for an awkward 12-13 seconds before searching again. The things I could have done with all those 10-15 seconds!
This is a flood control feature that most forums have because searches can be a resource hog. Not a problem on smaller forums but on large ones such as RFD, if hundreds of people are constantly performing searches, it can slow the site down for everyone. Some sites even make you wait 30-60 seconds in-between which would be even more annoying.

I don't know if this will be possible or not but I'll see if we can reduce or even eliminate the wait for certain users/groups. Eg. if you have 250 posts, you don't have to wait.
RFD Staff - Got a question? Send me a private message.
[Forum Rules] [Deal Alerts]