• Last Updated:
  • Aug 25th, 2018 9:28 pm
Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2017
5749 posts
6121 upvotes
Ottawa
OP. What would you like to have happen now?

An acceptable repair would be to touch up the scratches with a hardwood floor touch up pen. Do you want the sellers to do that?
Dec 5, 2017
299 posts
317 upvotes
Just color match it with a wax pen. You'll never see it unless you go on your hands and knees looking for it.
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4647 upvotes
Montréal
DarekP84312 wrote: I bet you're one of those people that buys a 10 year old car for $500 and cries foul cause it has a scratch on it. Newflash. Unless you buy brand new from the builder there is going to be some wear and tear. Houses and Apartments are for living in. Those tiny scratches you're pointing out are nothing and you're a full on nutter for freaking out about them.
A "nutter" lol.

Harsh but that's some tough loving. I was expecting the floors to be ruined (kinda reminds me of the guy freaking out about the small dent on his dryer). Need to be reasonable/realistic and not exaggerate things.
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7941 posts
5483 upvotes
Victoria, BC
Put your furniture over it and call it a day.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2013
1510 posts
994 upvotes
CALGARY
This reminds me of my previous owner of the condo I rented. During move out, every small dot on the floor and walls were pictured and rounded off and was billed $100 for each of the dots to fix. Its literally dots and he might have used a microscope to find them. We never looked so keen during move in, but move out was a harassment. They don't understand the term wear out. Literally they want to make money on the unit but still want it as a new built.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2013
1510 posts
994 upvotes
CALGARY
xzero3631 wrote: Recently bought a condo unit , closing in a few days and upon visiting the unit again yesterday after seller and their real estate agent remove the staging , I’ve noticed a deep scratch on a few hardwood floortiles where their furniture was placed for the staging. My agent shrugged me off and insist it’s not a big deal and my lawyer says I need to provide proof with pictures of the hardwood was in good condition and unscratched before, but how can I provide proof when the hardwood floor and after they remove their staging this deep scratch appeared??The sellers lawyer is saying it was always there to begin with and I bought the unit knowing this and won’t fix or pay for the damages. What options do i have left ? What should i do in this scenario rfd??
Don't ever try to rent your place. Your keen microscopic instincts will hurt you when tenants move out.
Sep 27, 2015
306 posts
199 upvotes
Pickering, ON
Are you Screwed ? - yes you are.

question: did you planned to wrap your condo post-closing. you will / your friends and family will scratch your apartment. it will look bad initially, you fix or repair the damage and you move on...
Sep 30, 2009
220 posts
211 upvotes
Thanks for the input guys , It’s just very unlucky and I’ll just have to move on from this
Jun 12, 2017
377 posts
377 upvotes
Yes, unfortunately you are. Previous owners of our house straight up gouged walls when moving their furniture out. Lawyer told us that only recourse would be to sue in civil court and even then chances of winning were slim. Basically, unless your contract specifically states something like "hardware has no scratches", there isn't much you can do as they will claim "it was already there" (to which you have no recourse unless you have proof that there was no scratch before) -- that's the defence our house's previous jerk owners used.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2016
6116 posts
4613 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
Next time, during the inspection photograph everything and every spot. It's why you have an inspection anyways so that you are purchasing it in the condition you inspected. This way, if there were damages afterwards, you have proof.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7941 posts
5483 upvotes
Victoria, BC
xzero3631 wrote: Thanks for the input guys , It’s just very unlucky and I’ll just have to move on from this
Unlucky? Lol, those little scratches are nothing. The previous owner of our house ripped shit off the walls (so the drywall "skin" was hanging off) wherever they'd had a mirror or picture, etc. Floors were scratched to shit. Nothing was clean.
Feb 9, 2018
606 posts
520 upvotes
Yes, you are screwed. Hope it will get better with time. lol

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)