Personal Finance

Am I too paranoid with my CC or are my friends just easy to scam?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 7th, 2013 3:23 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2012
3747 posts
909 upvotes
XtremeModder wrote: Maybe I didn't explain it the greatest.

I ordered from Domino's using the site but had to call and add something so the kid asked for my cc

I stated I wasn't giving my cc over the phone and he said fine I can just sign the receipt when it gets there... What was the point in asking for my cc to begin with then.

I don't care about using my cc online or anything like that. Just over the phone its a little sketch.

0 liability maybe but would you risk something was say $4 to add in to an order just for the headaches involved if it did happen?

I had my debit card skimmed once and got the $ back but it wasn't immediate... It was about $1700
I just ordered some Chinese food. Did not have really have cash to pay for it so asked if I could use credit card(first time I think I ever paid by credit card). When they got to my place they asked to see the credit card and filled in the number and asked me to sign. It is kind strange why they ask twice...would really like to know the reason behind it as well.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22706 posts
3697 upvotes
xiaobao wrote: I just ordered some Chinese food. Did not have really have cash to pay for it so asked if I could use credit card(first time I think I ever paid by credit card). When they got to my place they asked to see the credit card and filled in the number and asked me to sign. It is kind strange why they ask twice...would really like to know the reason behind it as well.
XtremeModder wrote: Maybe I didn't explain it the greatest.

I ordered from Domino's using the site but had to call and add something so the kid asked for my cc

I stated I wasn't giving my cc over the phone and he said fine I can just sign the receipt when it gets there... What was the point in asking for my cc to begin with then.

I don't care about using my cc online or anything like that. Just over the phone its a little sketch.

0 liability maybe but would you risk something was say $4 to add in to an order just for the headaches involved if it did happen?

I had my debit card skimmed once and got the $ back but it wasn't immediate... It was about $1700
To ensure the order is paid for. The second check allows merchants to claim they approved the transaction in person, avoiding a CNP fee.
Feb 28, 2013
945 posts
82 upvotes
Toronto
If I'm calling out, sure I will give my credit card. I know where I called. How is that a scam? Unless you think that someone is listening in and recording your calls?
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2012
3747 posts
909 upvotes
[quote="Kasakato" post_id="17230405" time="1375750332" user_id="22631"]To ensure the order is paid for. The second check allows merchants to claim they approved the transaction in person, avoiding a CNP fee.[/QUOTE

What do you mean to ensure the order was paid for? I thought maybe they where doing it so if something weird happens and they arrive at a place that does not exist they still can charge you, but if they got to follow it up with a signature and number copied then it sort of threw my theory out the window.

Also what is CNP Fee?
Deal Addict
May 14, 2010
1065 posts
111 upvotes
Halifax
Busybuyer888 wrote: Are pizza delivery guys carrying around those wireless credit card (with PIN pad) authorizing machines now?

Without a CC with PIN pad machine, the CC transaction using manual CC imprint machine is even more unsafe. They have an imprint of the CC and our signature.

Do pre-paid debit cards have all the payment flexibility of a regular CC? If so, I think that is the way to go. Just carry a $250 pre-loaded card. The most they can scam is $250.
I dont have pizza delivered much but when I do its from Greco (Atlantic Canadian place) and they have had debit at the door for a couple of years now. So of course they can handle credit card with pin as well.

You mean other chains dont have that?
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2005
2033 posts
334 upvotes
RandomCDN wrote: I dont have pizza delivered much but when I do its from Greco (Atlantic Canadian place) and they have had debit at the door for a couple of years now. So of course they can handle credit card with pin as well.

You mean other chains dont have that?
Every one has those machines nowadays. I called a horticultural company to clean up some bushes and those guys whipped out a credit card machine as well. It makes a lot more sense, the charge goes through right away. Much better than having to trust someone with a bad cheque.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)