• Jun 7th, 2019 9:10 pm
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
15813 posts
8114 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
goathead wrote:
May 12th, 2018 11:07 am
My understanding is if you select free shipping you pay no duties, if you select a faster option you do, same as with GB.
Actually duty/tax can be charged on any package valued at over CA$20.

With free shipping the package is handled by Canada Post and CBSA. As a government agency they have the discretion to waive these charges. They often do that for under $100 packages, presumably because the amount of duty/tax is less than the cost of collecting it. But if they wanted to they could charge duty/tax on anything over CA$20.

With faster shipping options the package is cleared through customs by the shipping company, i.e. DHL, EMS, FedEx, etc. They are required by law to collect duty/tax on incoming valued at over CA$20. Moreover, as businesses who also charge hefty brokerage fees to perform this duty/tax collection "service", they have a strong financial incentive to do so.

Also most of the Chinese sellers like the two GBs and Aliexpress, usually undervalue the merchandise on customs declaration forms. At minimum they'll declare a US$50 item as $50 so that it appears to be CA$50. But more often they'll declare it at a much lower value. They also tend to falsely declare packages as gifts (where the duty/tax free limit is CA$60.) All of this is illegal but again Canada Post and/or CBSA generally don't bother to enforce. But they can and sometimes they do.
veni, vidi, Visa
Aug 1, 2008
992 posts
118 upvotes
Vancouver
When you order through aliexpress, look for a seller which uses epacket shipping. I have bought numerous stuff and have had it shipped anywhere from 2-4 weeks to B.C. and no duties... including this Amazfit Bip watch as well.
goathead wrote:
My understanding is if you select free shipping you pay no duties, if you select a faster option you do, same as with GB. Personally I ordered from Geekbuying, free shipping, I preferred them since I could us Paypal. It took about 6 weeks from order to delivery, but no duties charged.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2005
1234 posts
510 upvotes
Canada's South Coast
goathead wrote:
My understanding is if you select free shipping you pay no duties, if you select a faster option you do, same as with GB. Personally I ordered from Geekbuying, free shipping, I preferred them since I could us Paypal. It took about 6 weeks from order to delivery, but no duties charged.
Generally, that would make sense as choosing free shipping uses the country of origin and receiving country's national postal systems to ship whereas expedited shipping usually means the shipping is done by private courier companies who act as import brokers. Private couriers such as DHL etc., are notorious for not only collecting the duties and excise taxes but also usually charge a brokerage fee in addition to the levied duties/taxes on the product being imported. Sometimes the combined charges can be quite hefty.

Edit: Not quite sure how, but I somehow missed bylo's earlier response to this question ....bylo absolutely nailed it in explanation! Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Dec 24, 2006
365 posts
104 upvotes
montward wrote:
May 11th, 2018 7:00 pm
Thanks OP.....For anyone interested, here is the link for Canada Computers: http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_ ... _id=120775

Interesting however, IMO, the shipping charge of $8.99 plus 13% HST tax (ON) for a total of $123 CDN really puts a damper on the deal for online purchasing from Canada Computers vs. other cheaper online alternatives. I purchased on Ebay.ca from an overseas seller and delivery was only 12 calendar days. The cost was approx. $40 CDN less than Canada Computers.

While I am all in for buying locally whenever possible and even paying a few dollars more in doing so, I'm not sure if the $40 price difference justifies buying locally online in this case.
I checked and Canada Computers also doesn't accept any returns on this item (exchange only if defective), so I don't see any reason to purchase from them.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
15813 posts
8114 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
PSA: If you want to play around with creating your own watch faces or customizing other peoples' creations, the info in this Reddit thread may be of interest:
Yes, but you need to do some wizardry.

- Download Amazfit Tools, unpack the .bin of the watchface (drag/drop the .bin file onto the .exe)
- Download Amazfit WatchFace Editor, open the .json file in the unpacked watchface's folder
- Toggle AM/PM, save.
- Repack the .bin file, again drag/dropping the .json onto the .exe
- Flash it.

Also, tinker and experiment with WF editor, you'll have much more fun refining things how you like them.

EDIT: Of course, this assumes you have the watchface's .bin file. If you don't, refer to this website for any watchface you may ever want.
Links to the sites referenced are in the referenced link ;)
veni, vidi, Visa
Mar 12, 2006
656 posts
55 upvotes
That's fast, got my Amazfit, Hope it's not a dud.

May 4th to today. 10 days via Ebay.
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2008
1160 posts
460 upvotes
Rifle wrote:
May 14th, 2018 5:01 pm
That's fast, got my Amazfit, Hope it's not a dud.

May 4th to today. 10 days via Ebay.
Did you get it from anforme? I also ordered on May 4th (shipping to Edmonton) but I haven't had my Canada Post tracking update yet.
Mar 12, 2006
656 posts
55 upvotes
D168 wrote:
May 14th, 2018 5:26 pm
Did you get it from anforme? I also ordered on May 4th (shipping to Edmonton) but I haven't had my Canada Post tracking update yet.
That's right.
Mar 20, 2013
710 posts
212 upvotes
Toronto
D168 wrote:
I ordered mine couple of weeks ago for Toronto. It's already in Mississauga I expect to be delivered tomorrow. It was quite fast.
Dec 12, 2004
360 posts
75 upvotes
D168 wrote:
I also ordered from anforme (eBay) on May 4th. My watch just left Vancouver and is on route to Toronto.
Update: In Edmonton now.
Last edited by turbov6 on May 15th, 2018 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 24, 2003
440 posts
88 upvotes
D168 wrote:
I ordered my watch from the same ebay seller on the same day shipped to Edmonton and it got it yesterday.
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2008
1160 posts
460 upvotes
rtsen wrote:
May 15th, 2018 5:24 pm
I ordered my watch from the same ebay seller on the same day shipped to Edmonton and it got it yesterday.
Mine left Richmond this morning at 3:35AM so I'm hoping I get it today or tomorrow. Too bad mine wasn't in the same shipment as yours, apparently!
May 29, 2017
231 posts
119 upvotes
D168 wrote:
May 15th, 2018 6:32 pm
Mine left Richmond this morning at 3:35AM so I'm hoping I get it today or tomorrow. Too bad mine wasn't in the same shipment as yours, apparently!
Which seller is this?
Mar 26, 2013
56 posts
20 upvotes
Vernon BC
bylo wrote:
May 2nd, 2018 2:13 pm
The Amazfit Bip Black Milan Strap arrived today. Easy to swap with the plastic band. No tools, other than a fingernail, required.

Fits well. Infinitely adjustable and securely held by magnet. Very easy to tighten/loosen as the day wears on. The black version nicely matches the black body of the Bip. I'll wear it for a few days to confirm that it's OK but I think it's a keeper.

The magnet latch is branded MiJobs if you're looking for the same item on Amazon or eBay.

Clipboard01.jpg
I have the same band and love it.. The only issue is that the magnet likes to interfere with the compass calibration..