Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

Amazfit Bip smartwatch - 30+ day battery + GPS for $60-$99 USD

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 28th, 2020 8:35 pm
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29710 posts
29132 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Totoriko wrote: With the pandemic, it's harder to go out and walk for more than an hour
In urban areas, especially. Because increasing numbers of people are out walking during the day, filling city trails and making it harder to safe-distance. But even in the country, conservation areas, the Bruce Trail, etc. are closed making it difficult to go hiking.

I'm lucky that I have a treadmill at home. Been on a daily streak for over a month now.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29710 posts
29132 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
sirisak wrote: Where can I buy this watch now
1. Amazon.ca seems OOS. WalMart and Best Buy have it in Canada but want CA$140.
2. You can buy it in the US from Amazfit et al for US$80.
3. Or order from the usual Chinese suspects and wait a couple of months for delivery.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29710 posts
29132 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Kagaho wrote: Stay away from these Chinese junk: Xiaomi: https://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasbrew ... d9a1181b2a
Why?

1. There's no browser in the Bip so the allegations in the article are irrelevant for this device.
2. I created a separate Gmail address just for stuff like this. Xiaomi can monitor that all they want.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Guru
Mar 5, 2007
10208 posts
11271 upvotes
bylo wrote: Why?

1. There's no browser in the Bip so the allegations in the article are irrelevant for this device.
2. I created a separate Gmail address just for stuff like this. Xiaomi can monitor that all they want.
Why?

Because some people are quite racist.

That's all I got. I agree with you, no rational person would make the connections this OP did.
Deal Addict
Sep 21, 2019
1189 posts
814 upvotes
Obviously it needs an accompanying app. Likely with sweeping permissions. And it's not allegations they admitted it by saying we need to do this to improve user experience and some shit.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29710 posts
29132 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Kagaho wrote: Obviously it needs an accompanying app.
Mine uses that "fake" email I mentioned before. They're welcome to use that data for all it's worth.
Likely with sweeping permissions.
Which can be turned off without affecting the operation of either the phone or the app. How is this any different for any other fitness app, smartwatch, fitness band, smartphone, etc? If you install an app--any app--the onus is on the user to trade off permissions based on functionality and their comfort level.

For example, I use my phone's GPS because (a) it's much better and (b) the Bip's GPS eats battery like students at an AYCE buffet. So there's no need to enable Location on the Bip. greatest drain on its battery. Similar argument for all the other permissions.
And it's not allegations they admitted it by saying we need to do this to improve user experience and some shit.
How is that explanation any different from that given by everyone from Apple to Google to Fakebook?
How is that explanation any different from that given by every other major smartphone maker?
veni, vidi, Visa
Dec 24, 2006
418 posts
342 upvotes
I am just wondering if someone who owns this watch can let me know if the watch can be tracked from a phone using the GPS function. I'm looking for a watch for my 12 year old so that I know where she is when she's in the neighborhood and can't get a hold of her. I'm not ready to give her a phone at this point. Any help would be greatly appreciate, I can't seem to find any info on the GPS Tracking aspect.
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2013
1532 posts
939 upvotes
Scarborough
ListPrivate wrote: I am just wondering if someone who owns this watch can let me know if the watch can be tracked from a phone using the GPS function. I'm looking for a watch for my 12 year old so that I know where she is when she's in the neighborhood and can't get a hold of her. I'm not ready to give her a phone at this point. Any help would be greatly appreciate, I can't seem to find any info on the GPS Tracking aspect.
No, it won't work for gps tracking. You will need a watch with a sim card in it, to have the feature that you look for.
Deal Guru
Mar 5, 2007
10208 posts
11271 upvotes
Totoriko wrote: Get a cheap GSM tracker from Aliexpress
Careful, Rogers is scheduled to sunset it's 2G (GSM) network this December.

If you get one of those trackers make sure it's at least 3G, and has B2 and B5.
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2008
4772 posts
1561 upvotes
repatch wrote: Careful, Rogers is scheduled to sunset it's 2G (GSM) network this December.

If you get one of those trackers make sure it's at least 3G, and has B2 and B5.
Good point!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
6758 posts
1786 upvotes
Montreal
Wouldn't a Tile tracker be a much cheaper alternative and achieve the same result?
Phils
Deal Fanatic
May 8, 2002
5863 posts
2611 upvotes
Phils wrote: Wouldn't a Tile tracker be a much cheaper alternative and achieve the same result?
Tile is bluetooth only, no?

Wouldn't help if your kid is at the playground a couple blocks away...
Deal Guru
Mar 5, 2007
10208 posts
11271 upvotes
Phils wrote: Wouldn't a Tile tracker be a much cheaper alternative and achieve the same result?
Not even close.

Tile works only a few to perhaps a dozen meters away since it's bluetooth based.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
6758 posts
1786 upvotes
Montreal
True, but if if you're looking for something that's lost attached to it, it will poll anyone nearby with a tile app to pinpoint a location. I found lost keys that way. The app directed me to where they had been lost miles away. Bluetooth only kicked in as I came close to them.
Phils
Deal Guru
Mar 5, 2007
10208 posts
11271 upvotes
Phils wrote: True, but if if you're looking for something that's lost attached to it, it will poll anyone nearby with a tile app to pinpoint a location. I found lost keys that way. The app directed me to where they had been lost miles away. Bluetooth only kicked in as I came close to them.
Sure, what if you're kid is lost, do you REALLY think the supreme luck of somebody passing near enough to your kid and running the Tile app is enough?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)