Ongoing Deal Discussion

Amazfit Bip smartwatch - 30+ day battery + GPS for $60-$99 USD

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 3rd, 2019 10:31 pm
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2004
4760 posts
815 upvotes
the price on amazon vs shipping from China is negligible at $20.. especially with the Canada Post strike.. maybe MONTHS if you order from CN.
"The first rule of RFD is, you do not talk about RFD."
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2011
1705 posts
316 upvotes
Toronto
Can anyone share a screenshot of how much customization is available for turning on/off notification for IOS? Key ones I am interested in whether they can be turned on or off individually are:
-sms/imessage
-whatsapp
-wechat
-calander
-facebook
-linkedin
-stock
-outlook
-gmail
-hotmail

Thanks!
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2011
1705 posts
316 upvotes
Toronto
redkulat wrote:
Nov 6th, 2018 10:20 am
Thanks, I think I'll grab this one. I just need something with a HR monitor. I was thinking of the Mi Band 3 because I bought the Wear24. What do you guys think? The Wear24 is great with everything minus the HR monitoring.
Thanks - is this an official retailer where Amazfit will accept warranty? (unlike ebay seller?)
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
3728 posts
3266 upvotes
azybcxrfd wrote:
Nov 25th, 2018 9:30 am
Can anyone share a screenshot of how much customization is available for turning on/off notification for IOS? Key ones I am interested in whether they can be turned on or off individually are:
-sms/imessage
-whatsapp
-wechat
-calander
-facebook
-linkedin
-stock
-outlook
-gmail
-hotmail

Thanks!
AFAIK every single app shows up on my phone for selection, I didn't count, but the list is very long, I don't think you'll have a problem.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2009
2956 posts
1607 upvotes
Toronto
azybcxrfd wrote:
Nov 25th, 2018 9:32 am
Thanks - is this an official retailer where Amazfit will accept warranty? (unlike ebay seller?)
I'm not entirely sure about the warranty, but GeekBuying is a decent site. I've purchased a few items from them and they have arrived in good time. I imagine the warranty would directly be with Xiaomi but I have no idea how they handle it.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
16407 posts
8735 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
redkulat wrote:
Nov 25th, 2018 10:45 pm
I'm not entirely sure about the warranty, but GeekBuying is a decent site. I've purchased a few items from them and they have arrived in good time. I imagine the warranty would directly be with Xiaomi but I have no idea how they handle it.
That's also been my experience with GeekBuying, especially for items shipped by ePacket.

As for warranties, all the Chinese sellers are problematic. If the item arrives DOA, they'll want you to return it at your expense, including tracking. That's usually expensive compared to the value of the item.

If the item fails within say the first year, then it's up to you to contact the manufacturer in China and arrange for repairs. Since these aren't NA or CA products, they're not likely to be covered by the Canadian distributor or subsidiary. In the case of the Bip and other Amazfit products, there's no Canadian distribution so your only option would be to return to China.

TL;DR: If you buy from online Chinese sellers you're gambling. If you win, you get a great deal on what you buy. If you lose, you're out the cost of that "great deal."
veni, vidi, Visa
Nov 3, 2003
427 posts
99 upvotes
Knowhere
Bump.

Anyone know where you can buy for cheap? I've looked at Geekbuying for $72 USD
I'm an AT&T Customer 😉
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
16407 posts
8735 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
shinsky wrote:
Mar 28th, 2019 8:17 am
Bump.

Amazon.ca sells this for ~CA$120 including HST. The advantage is fast delivery and fulfillment by Amazon. If you want to take your chances with Chinese stores then see what sellers on Aliexpress are asking.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
3728 posts
3266 upvotes
shinsky wrote:
Bump.

That's pretty much the going rate, you won't find it for much cheaper (perhaps $69 every once in a while).

WELL worth it at $72USD, it's a fantastic piece of kit and superior in so many ways to the other options out there.
May 20, 2004
526 posts
144 upvotes
shinsky wrote:
Bump.

Aliexpress is selling it for $62.99 - $5 (code SAVE5) = $57.99 USD. It's part of their anniversary sale. Not sure if I should pull the trigger; I just started researching these watches. I like the features for the price but I'm not a fan of the square face watch look.
Oct 26, 2016
261 posts
88 upvotes
bigdaddyyc wrote:
Mar 29th, 2019 10:29 am
Aliexpress is selling it for $62.99 - $5 (code SAVE5) = $57.99 USD. It's part of their anniversary sale. Not sure if I should pull the trigger; I just started researching these watches. I like the features for the price but I'm not a fan of the square face watch look.
It is good for activity and sleep tracking, but it's functionality for notifications is pretty limited.

I sold mine due to this, as my usage is more for notifications than activity tracking
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
3728 posts
3266 upvotes
bigdaddyyc wrote:
Mar 29th, 2019 10:29 am
It is, for some users (me included) FAR superior to other options out there.

First off: it has a reflective LCD screen. That means it works WITHOUT the backlight needing to light. This is a godsend during the day where the sun might overwhelm other smart watch displays. It also saves battery if I just glance at it, because the LCD is ALWAYS active, just like an old school LCD wristwatch.

The consequence of this is the screen isn't the highest 'quality', colours are a little washed out.

Second: battery life is RIDICULOUS. I get weeks of run time. I honestly don't remember when I charge the thing. I easily get 3 weeks of usage before I get the battery low warning (which is I think at 15%? Not completely sure, it's so rare). I usually throw it on the charger one a week or two when I take a shower.

Misc: Sleep tracking is good, activity tracking is decent, GPS performance is great.

Notifications: Some might begrudge the notifications on this thing. Understand that notifications are read only in function, there is NO feedback back to your phone. i.e. if you get a text there is no capability of responding to that text. The ONLY exception to this is incoming phone calls, you can click on 'end call' or 'ignore'. But that's it. I personally am fine with that. As for app support, I've been able to have every app I want available with notifications. I just checked an it looks like EVERY app I've installed on my phone is available for notification pushes.

Other things: the interface is a little klugy, but functional. With a few taps you can get weather, and use the stopwatch, timer, compass, GPS coord and activity functions. It's very useful. Vibration is strong, and the heart rate tracking is good.

All in all: for ME, this thing BLOWS AWAY the competition. I don't give a crap about playing music on my watch and stuff like that, so it's good for me. If you want to leave your phone behind this thing isn't for you (beyond basic watch functions). The always readable display is the best part, quick glance and I know the time, temperature, activity metrics, today's forcast, etc.

Bonus: custom watch faces are not officially supported, but are easy to add. I have a Star Trek LCARS type display on mine, something like this:

https://amazfitwatchfaces.com/bip/view/13876
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
16407 posts
8735 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
repatch wrote:
Mar 29th, 2019 2:53 pm
It is, for some users (me included) FAR superior to other options out there.
Ditto here. Battery life is what distinguishes this watch from all the others. I recharge about once a month. I can't imagine the hassle of having to recharge every day or two--especially on a watch that costs several times as much as a Bip.

Likewise the display. I can't imagine having to flick my wrist or press a button every time I want to see the time. The LCD screen is low-res compared to more expensive watches. I imagine that's to reduce cost as well as improve battery life. The screen technology is "transflective" which means it's both transmissive in low light and reflective in bright light. IMO that's the best of both worlds.

I've had my Bip for over a year now. It's worked flawlessly. There have been many updates both to the watch firmware and the smartphone app, Mi Band. This thing gets better support than my "flagship" smartphone.

While the Bip may not be as functional or polished as something that sells for 5x or 10x the price, it's a tremendous value at its ~$100 price point.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2008
4366 posts
1264 upvotes
d0m056 wrote:
Mar 29th, 2019 2:36 pm
It is good for activity and sleep tracking, but it's functionality for notifications is pretty limited.

I sold mine due to this, as my usage is more for notifications than activity tracking
What notifications do you need? For me, I'm fine with Whatsapp and sms messages
Oct 26, 2016
261 posts
88 upvotes
Totoriko wrote:
Mar 29th, 2019 5:30 pm
What notifications do you need? For me, I'm fine with Whatsapp and sms messages
Other than these gmail and viber. I like the ability of replying via quick messages, also in Bip the notification only lasted for a few secs and i needed more.