Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

AmazonBasics HiCap PreCharged AAs(8-Pack,Japan)-$18.75 w/25% off Amazon Prime

• Last Updated:
  • May 2nd, 2016 10:32 am
Tags:
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
3204 posts
1094 upvotes
Whitehorse, YT
The cost effectiveness of rechargeable cells is at best questionable. Most of us, myself definitely, would be ahead in dollars by buying alkalines at under .20 cents each for AAs.

Consider the oft-quoted, cycle life. At only 500 cycles, if you had an eight pack, with 4 in use and 4 on standby and you recycled them every week, they could last 10 years. That's not going to happen because long before that there will be new technology (or marketing gimmicks) posted here on RFD and 8 cells will be in the dump. So, number of potential cycles in the hundreds has no relevance in real life.

Don't forget to factor in the initial fail rate (or under perform rate, as noted above) and the cost of those special chargers. Anyway, I'll still have a use for rechargeable cells because of the feel-good effect of re-usage.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21329 posts
10938 upvotes
Oakville
Marzipan wrote: The cost effectiveness of rechargeable cells is at best questionable. Most of us, myself definitely, would be ahead in dollars by buying alkalines at under .20 cents each for AAs.

Consider the oft-quoted, cycle life. At only 500 cycles, if you had an eight pack, with 4 in use and 4 on standby and you recycled them every week, they could last 10 years. That's not going to happen because long before that there will be new technology (or marketing gimmicks) posted here on RFD and 8 cells will be in the dump. So, number of potential cycles in the hundreds has no relevance in real life.

Don't forget to factor in the initial fail rate (or under perform rate, as noted above) and the cost of those special chargers. Anyway, I'll still have a use for rechargeable cells because of the feel-good effect of re-usage.
I've been using a set of 8 Eneloop AA's for the last 5 years... Still going strong. Picked up 8 more of the non-hicap AmazonBasics ones only because I need more. Rechargeables aren't really about the cost effectiveness, for me, but rather about keeping all those regular alkalines out of the landfill (or having to worry about recycling them, etc).

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)