• Last Updated:
  • Jun 20th, 2018 6:08 pm
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2016
1504 posts
549 upvotes
Hey guys, let's discuss Amazon.

As some of you may know, I have 100% of my net worth invested in Amazon: Your text to link here....

I don't think the latest correction was due to Trump's tweet on war on Amazon. Since Trump have already stated that before and after he won the election.
After he bashed Amazon back in 2016 (after he won), I bought in at $700+/share.
The price dropped to that low in 2016 because Trump bashed it after he won the election.

The claims made by Trump regarding Amazon recently are without merit (I don't know why I take him seriously, but he is the president after all):

1) "Amazon doesn't pay taxes" it did pay a lot of state taxes, but no Federal taxes. The US tax code is a little different than Canadian. We calculate both State and Federal taxes and we deduct what we paid in State tax against the Federal tax.

2) "Amazon is taking advantage of the USPS" USPS added Sunday delivery due to Amazon's massive business. Why would USPS conduct business with Amazon if it's losing money on every shipment? Amazon gets a better rate with USPS just like every other companies do. USPS is making money with Amazon.

3) "Amazon doesn't collect taxes for local and state governments". I wish they don't lol.

I think the recent correction is due to the valuation on Amazon which everyone agrees, it's too high.

If I look at Amazon at its current state, the valuation is too high. However, I don't see Amazon at its current state. I see it 10 years down the road. Amazon will become a bigger and meaner company 10 years down the road. Jeff Bezos is only 54 years old, and I think he still got 10+ years ahead of him in running Amazon, unless he got into some unfortunate problems like the one Steve Jobs had. I hope not.

I discovered Amazon when it was selling at $250+. And I didn't buy into it until $700+. It was expensive then, and it's expensive now.
Deal Guru
Jun 30, 2006
14969 posts
2989 upvotes
Toronto
CollegeGraduate wrote:
Mar 29th, 2018 2:13 pm
Hey guys, let's discuss Amazon.

As some of you may know, I have 100% of my net worth invested in Amazon: Your text to link here....

I don't think the latest correction was due to Trump's tweet on war on Amazon. Since Trump have already stated that before and after he won the election.
After he bashed Amazon back in 2016 (after he won), I bought in at $700+/share.
The price dropped to that low in 2016 because Trump bashed it after he won the election.

The claims made by Trump regarding Amazon recently are without merit (I don't know why I take him seriously, but he is the president after all):

1) "Amazon doesn't pay taxes" it did pay a lot of state taxes, but no Federal taxes. The US tax code is a little different than Canadian. We calculate both State and Federal taxes and we deduct what we paid in State tax against the Federal tax.

2) "Amazon is taking advantage of the USPS" USPS added Sunday delivery due to Amazon's massive business. Why would USPS conduct business with Amazon if it's losing money on every shipment? Amazon gets a better rate with USPS just like every other companies do. USPS is making money with Amazon.

3) "Amazon doesn't collect taxes for local and state governments". I wish they don't lol.

I think the recent correction is due to the valuation on Amazon which everyone agrees, it's too high.

If I look at Amazon at its current state, the valuation is too high. However, I don't see Amazon at its current state. I see it 10 years down the road. Amazon will become a bigger and meaner company 10 years down the road. Jeff Bezos is only 54 years old, and I think he still got 10+ years ahead of him in running Amazon, unless he got into some unfortunate problems like the one Steve Jobs had. I hope not.

I discovered Amazon when it was selling at $250+. And I didn't buy into it until $700+. It was expensive then, and it's expensive now.
How much did you invest in Amazon?
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2016
1504 posts
549 upvotes
carmaster wrote:
Mar 29th, 2018 2:16 pm
How much did you invest in Amazon?
My whole net worth. Does it matter how much?
Amazon go belly up, I will need to work until the day I die (no retirement for me).
Deal Guru
Jun 30, 2006
14969 posts
2989 upvotes
Toronto
CollegeGraduate wrote:
Mar 29th, 2018 2:17 pm
My whole net worth. Does it matter how much?
Amazon go belly up, I will need to work until the day I die (no retirement for me).
You talking about $5000, $50,000, $100,000?
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2016
1504 posts
549 upvotes
carmaster wrote:
Mar 29th, 2018 2:27 pm
You talking about $5000, $50,000, $100,000?
In the hundreds of thousands.

Does it really matter? Any insight to add about Amazon? like service getting worse?
Jan 10, 2016
328 posts
42 upvotes
Markham, ON
I admire CollegeGraduate for having the guts to go all in on a single stock.

Though, I still think the valuation is rich. But then again, if Amazon can grow at its current rate by improving their current businesses and fend off competition (legally), it should do fine over time.

And Amazon having the habit of getting into new businesses and do well there with some exceptions like their Fire phone and something I am not aware of.

This company is a beast and doesn't take "no" for an answer. I am long Amazon, but not with 100% of my money, maybe 5%-7%.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2016
1504 posts
549 upvotes
ValueInvestor wrote:
Mar 29th, 2018 3:10 pm
I admire CollegeGraduate for having the guts to go all in on a single stock.

Though, I still think the valuation is rich. But then again, if Amazon can grow at its current rate by improving their current businesses and fend off competition (legally), it should do fine over time.

And Amazon having the habit of getting into new businesses and do well there with some exceptions like their Fire phone and something I am not aware of.

This company is a beast and doesn't take "no" for an answer. I am long Amazon, but not with 100% of my money, maybe 5%-7%.
How do I convince you to drop at least 10% into Amazon?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 9, 2008
5175 posts
1617 upvotes
Thornhill
CollegeGraduate wrote:
Mar 29th, 2018 3:17 pm
Does this apply to WholeFoods in Canada?
No clue, I'd imagine if the test-phase rolled out in US is a success, it would eventually. The goal is to wrap almost every single person in North America into the Amazon ecosystem until even eventually even manufacturing is outsourced to Amazon robotic facilities on the moon... I'm serious.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2016
1504 posts
549 upvotes
Jeenyus1 wrote:
Mar 29th, 2018 3:30 pm
No clue, I'd imagine if the test-phase rolled out in US is a success, it would eventually. The goal is to wrap almost every single person in North America into the Amazon ecosystem until even eventually even manufacturing is outsourced to Amazon robotic facilities on the moon... I'm serious.
Yup, that is Amazon's strategy. Although I wouldn't have imaged the moon getting involved.

Read the "The Everything Store" by Brad Stone. It clearly layout Amazon's strategy.
It's either you are with Amazon, or you get wiped out.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2008
2835 posts
209 upvotes
Toronto
Trump's tweets definitely having an impact on Amazon.
If Trump slaps taxes or re-negotiate US post shipping deals with Amazon, its going to impact Amazon, unless Amazon says F U and starts its own non-drone more-realistic delivery by buying whole fleets of trucks. If amazon does go this route, then I Will be thinking which auto-manufacturer selling trucks to amazon.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2016
1504 posts
549 upvotes
bsobaid wrote:
Apr 5th, 2018 2:23 pm
Trump's tweets definitely having an impact on Amazon.
If Trump slaps taxes or re-negotiate US post shipping deals with Amazon, its going to impact Amazon, unless Amazon says F U and starts its own non-drone more-realistic delivery by buying whole fleets of trucks. If amazon does go this route, then I Will be thinking which auto-manufacturer selling trucks to amazon.
Amazon already have their own in house carrier for small items.
For bigger items, they use the local post office, FedEx, UPS and etc...

I am sure Amazon will think of a way to deliver them if they lost access to USPS.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2008
2835 posts
209 upvotes
Toronto
CollegeGraduate wrote:
Apr 5th, 2018 2:59 pm
Amazon already have their own in house carrier for small items.
For bigger items, they use the local post office, FedEx, UPS and etc...

I am sure Amazon will think of a way to deliver them if they lost access to USPS.

good u r 100% invested in AMZN. The price doubled within a year. You can easily and safely withdraw your principal and play with the capital gains. No losses for you.
I am anxiously waiting for trump to go crazy and amzn hits its bottom so I can get in as AMZN will surely bounce back.