• Oct 11th, 2018 8:07 pm
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
9205 posts
3171 upvotes
Brampton
CollegeGraduate wrote:
Apr 5th, 2018 2:59 pm
Amazon already have their own in house carrier for small items.
For bigger items, they use the local post office, FedEx, UPS and etc...

I am sure Amazon will think of a way to deliver them if they lost access to USPS.
or.... They pull an AWS with their delivery service....

Make it their business to also be a carrier or courier service...
They're already a market place combined with logistics service.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2016
1751 posts
704 upvotes
bsobaid wrote:
Apr 5th, 2018 3:09 pm
good u r 100% invested in AMZN. The price doubled within a year. You can easily and safely withdraw your principal and play with the capital gains. No losses for you.
I am anxiously waiting for trump to go crazy and amzn hits its bottom so I can get in as AMZN will surely bounce back.
Not all of my shares were purchased in the $700+ range
The highest I have paid was $1,395 or something. My average is under $1,000 though. Nothing to write home about.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
4190 posts
1261 upvotes
CollegeGraduate wrote:
Mar 29th, 2018 2:17 pm
My whole net worth. Does it matter how much?
Amazon go belly up, I will need to work until the day I die (no retirement for me).
Before you invested 100% into Amazon, did you use to have 100% in Manulife?

(Basically are you former RFD'er ACC-Major? Lots of similarities between the two of you.)
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2016
1751 posts
704 upvotes
renoldman wrote:
Apr 7th, 2018 6:18 am
Before you invested 100% into Amazon, did you use to have 100% in Manulife?

(Basically are you former RFD'er ACC-Major? Lots of similarities between the two of you.)
I have just went through Manulife's annual report. Boy was it horrible. I had to get through first 100 pages of self promotion. Then on page 108 is their financial statements.

I will never invest in MFC. I don't like how they present the data either. I know most (if not all) of you don't even bother opening up their annual reports. You just get some data from some websites.

If you must compare what a real annual report should be, read Amazon's and Berkshire Hathaway. There are others such as Apple, Facebook, MSFT, and Alphabet.
Jun 15, 2017
413 posts
145 upvotes
What with Trump's tirade against Amazon and the worsening US/China trade war....anyone with chart knowledge care to speculate a low for the stock?
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
1467 posts
717 upvotes
Using the free standard delivery method, I ordered on Sat night. The items were delivered this afternoon via AMZCA (Amazon in house contracted courier). Less than one business day. Best and only selection and prices for what I wanted to purchase. AMZN is tough to short while Donald is a short.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
45502 posts
11939 upvotes
Yes, I noticed even without prime, I get 1-2 day deliveries.
Jun 3, 2012
496 posts
183 upvotes
Scarborough
Reading the first few pages of this thread is fascinating and goes to show you even the savviest of investors can be way off the mark. Critics of Amazon in this thread ended up buying the stock a few years later. Its philosophy of growth over profitability has proven many investors wrong.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2016
1751 posts
704 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote:
Apr 10th, 2018 2:51 pm
Yes, I noticed even without prime, I get 1-2 day deliveries.
Those same items that you've got in 1-2 days arrives on the same day for Prime members.

I buy a lot of junks on Amazon, and I noticed a few things:
1) Items not available at your local warehouse gets delivered from other province (BC) or from the US (I don't know how I didn't need to pay customs). These items take like a week or so.
2) Items that are available at your local warehouse gets delivered the same day, or next day.
3) Heavier/bigger items get sent out the next day using one of the carriers (non-Amazon), and arrives whenever the carrier feels like delivering.
4) Add on items take 3+ business days.
Oct 9, 2008
41 posts
16 upvotes
edmonton
I really want to get into AMZn, but i just can't get over the working conditions at AMZN warehouses. They sure make great shareholder returns, but this just seems ridiculous.

Your text to link here...
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2016
1751 posts
704 upvotes
kevin123456 wrote:
Apr 16th, 2018 1:02 pm
I really want to get into AMZn, but i just can't get over the working conditions at AMZN warehouses. They sure make great shareholder returns, but this just seems ridiculous.

Your text to link here...
Yeah, I thought it's bad. Then again, the company has a strict break policy.
I believe the company has a program where every month they will offer their employees $2,000 if they want to quit. I would take it in an instant if I couldn't stand the working condition.
Oct 9, 2008
41 posts
16 upvotes
edmonton
CollegeGraduate wrote:
Apr 16th, 2018 1:43 pm
Yeah, I thought it's bad. Then again, the company has a strict break policy.
I believe the company has a program where every month they will offer their employees $2,000 if they want to quit. I would take it in an instant if I couldn't stand the working condition.
i don't buy that they have a strict break policy, every company does. What AMZN does is beyond the norm. These sound like third world working conditions.
I have never heard of any other company in N.America where employees are so scared for their job that they pee in a bottle.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2016
1751 posts
704 upvotes
kevin123456 wrote:
Apr 16th, 2018 2:24 pm
i don't buy that they have a strict break policy, every company does. What AMZN does is beyond the norm. These sound like third world working conditions.
I have never heard of any other company in N.America where employees are so scared for their job that they pee in a bottle.
In the first world country, if we see a situation like this, we would complaint to the Ministry of Labour. In the 3rd world countries, no one cares.

If you think UK is a 3rd world country, then there is a disconnect.

Heck, one of my cousins who went to work at a factory and quit after 2 hours citing the job was too physically demanding.

A new office worker came into office and quit 3 hours later, citing the job is too boring and the pay is low.

We have choices in the 1st world country. And take a leak in a bottom is not the way. I don't think the story is true, but even if it's true, then they are too lazy to walk to the washrooms. I can't imagine a young woman will just go on the spot, in a 1st world country.
Jul 9, 2016
6 posts
kevin123456 wrote:
Apr 16th, 2018 2:24 pm
The mentality of much of today's society is one of instant gratification. Is it really all that surprising it is possible for this to happen in companies competing in certain consumer facing sectors to meet expected standards and not get "poor reviews" whilst increasing shareholder value?

With that said I'm no insider and am not going to simply cast stones at AMZN because of an article or two. If this exposed as a rampant issue then there needs to be some investigation done however perhaps it's also plausible that they simply aren't meeting expectations in the time allotted to their shift and they are trying to make up for that. There's probably about 50 sides to this story.

As an investor I'm personally staying away from AMZN, not because of the above or because I think it is necessarily a "bad" buy but I just can't justify the multiples that a fair amount of the tech companies are trading at. GOOG and APL are the only 2 that I've owned (and own) that have shown true (in my opinion) ability to consistently grow in a sustainable fashion.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2016
1751 posts
704 upvotes
I can confirm that working condition at Amazon is fast paced, Jeff Bezos says so.
It used to be: "you either work hard or work smart", now it's "you need to work hard and smart".

Even with such demanding work environment, people are still lining up to get a job. Their compensation is really good. They get bonuses and stock options.

Amazon also have a program where they offer employees who wish to quit $2,000. When you quit at other companies, you get nothing that's not yours.