• Last Updated:
  • May 3rd, 2019 11:24 am
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2016
1903 posts
747 upvotes
Why people don't understand is that Amazon can turn the tab on and off. They can easily stop or slow down R&D and book a huge profit or they can increase R&D to increase future profitbility.

All the money they put in R&D is not wasted. They generate future income. However, due to accounting rules on R&D, they can't capitalized and then write off over time. If you don't understand what I am talking about, then take some accounting courses.

I am 100% in AMZN as you might know and I am still so.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7382 posts
631 upvotes
Toronto
CollegeGraduate wrote:
Jul 27th, 2018 11:04 am
Why people don't understand is that Amazon can turn the tab on and off. They can easily stop or slow down R&D and book a huge profit or they can increase R&D to increase future profitbility.

All the money they put in R&D is not wasted. They generate future income. However, due to accounting rules on R&D, they can't capitalized and then write off over time. If you don't understand what I am talking about, then take some accounting courses.

I am 100% in AMZN as you might know and I am still so.
How much is 100% in $$ ?
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2016
1903 posts
747 upvotes
Drew_W wrote:
Aug 13th, 2018 9:32 pm
How much is 100% in $$ ?
Whole life saving. If Amazon tanks I will be loving on the street.
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
8003 posts
3929 upvotes
Toronto
CollegeGraduate wrote:
Aug 13th, 2018 9:53 pm
balls deep. and i thought me buying 3 shares was too much.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2016
1903 posts
747 upvotes
daivey wrote:
Aug 14th, 2018 12:17 am
balls deep. and i thought me buying 3 shares was too much.
As Warren Buffett puts it: "if you have only a punch card with 20 holes, then you better think hard and deep about using them".
How I see it is that if I have found something good, then commit to them as much as possible.

Currently, I only found one company that is as unique as Amazon and their founder Jeff Bezos. If I find a second one, I will devote capital to it.
During our life time, we will come across a few companies that will set us up for life. We don't need to diversify into anything else. I missed Microsoft, and I missed Berkshire, but I won't miss Amazon.

Also, the current low interest rate environment is once in a 80-year opportunity. The next time this will happen will be around 80 years later.
Deal Addict
Jun 3, 2009
4625 posts
786 upvotes
Montreal
CollegeGraduate wrote:
Aug 14th, 2018 9:15 am
As Warren Buffett puts it: "if you have only a punch card with 20 holes, then you better think hard and deep about using them".
How I see it is that if I have found something good, then commit to them as much as possible.

Currently, I only found one company that is as unique as Amazon and their founder Jeff Bezos. If I find a second one, I will devote capital to it.
During our life time, we will come across a few companies that will set us up for life. We don't need to diversify into anything else. I missed Microsoft, and I missed Berkshire, but I won't miss Amazon.

Also, the current low interest rate environment is once in a 80-year opportunity. The next time this will happen will be around 80 years later.
Are you averaging up to your existing position whenever you can too? Thanks.
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2017
1870 posts
715 upvotes
GTA
CollegeGraduate wrote:
Aug 13th, 2018 9:53 pm
AMZN is not a mj stock, nor is it TSLA, GOOG, FB or AAPL

I am a believer that AMZN will not tank, ever, well at least within the next 12 months

sit back, relax its all going to be OK

expect at least 25% gain from where it is today & that AMZN will forever be a Trillion dollar stock
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2016
1903 posts
747 upvotes
cn_habs wrote:
Aug 15th, 2018 2:19 pm
Are you averaging up to your existing position whenever you can too? Thanks.
I do leverage up whenever I have the money. And hopefully there is a pull back.
Normally I would accumulate around $10k before putting it to work. Every payroll I put away $800 (bi-weekly basis). This amount increases by $100 every few years.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2016
1903 posts
747 upvotes
porticoman wrote:
Aug 15th, 2018 2:44 pm
AMZN is not a mj stock, nor is it TSLA, GOOG, FB or AAPL

I am a believer that AMZN will not tank, ever, well at least within the next 12 months

sit back, relax its all going to be OK
It sounded like you are trying to calm me down lol. I am not worried at all.
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2017
1870 posts
715 upvotes
GTA
CollegeGraduate wrote:
Aug 15th, 2018 3:26 pm
It sounded like you are trying to calm me down lol. I am not worried at all.
not at all, I was encouraging you to buy more, in fact consider till end of 2018 buying at least one-share/week, well maybe four shares/mth to keep the trading cost down

that's basically all it takes - if anyone can afford it, even one-share/mth & who knows what fortune you'll have 12 mths from now
CollegeGraduate wrote:
Aug 15th, 2018 3:25 pm
I do leverage up whenever I have the money. And hopefully there is a pull back.
Normally I would accumulate around $10k before putting it to work. Every payroll I put away $800 (bi-weekly basis). This amount increases by $100 every few years.
did not see this post C.G

there you go, it really is that simple
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2017
1870 posts
715 upvotes
GTA
edit: what did I just do when I first posted this, correction ....

I bought another 10 shares of Amazon for a hold to 25% & out ... target Jan 2019
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2016
1903 posts
747 upvotes
Perhaps it's time to look into China.
Most Chinese stocks are around 50% of their 52-week high.
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2017
1870 posts
715 upvotes
GTA
CollegeGraduate wrote:
Aug 16th, 2018 1:20 pm
Perhaps it's time to look into China.
Most Chinese stocks are around 50% of their 52-week high.
there is a slight possibility Trump's folly will be for naught & the chinese stocks will rally

50/50 chance