Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

[Amazon/BB] Ring Video Doorbell Pro $240 (reg $299, FS)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 27th, 2017 12:36 am
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2003
2559 posts
823 upvotes
Anyone know how the Reolink Argus compares ? I know it's not a door bell ringer. But it seems to have all the other functions of the Ring and it also runs on batteries ?
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2654 posts
1461 upvotes
Richmond
number17 wrote: Have been using ring pro HD for a year now and it's been great. Yes there's an optional $3 monthly fee but only if you need cloud pvr function. Rings service is excellent and I've been very happy with it.
Let's be realistic about this for potential buyers:

You will lose a lot of functionality if you don't pay extra for the optional cloud recording service. Often the real-time notification and response is too slow, and the only way you know what happened is to have the video recording. It's US$30/year, so that's acually Cdn $40/year. If you're going to buy the doorbell, budget extra for the subscription. Buying the Ring doorbell without it is like buying a car without seats and saying that you don't technically need them to drive.

There are other video doorbells out there that offer no-cost recording. That would be much preferred from a cost point of view, but Ring isn't going to offer that unless competition eventually forces them to because they make a lot of their profit off the subscriptions.

The other factor to keep in mind when installing this as a permanent feature of your home is that the Ring doorbell is totally dependent on the Ring servers to operate. If Ring ever goes out of business, or abandons support like they did for their original model, you are SOL.
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2003
2559 posts
823 upvotes
Faith24 wrote: Let's be realistic about this for potential buyers:

You will lose a lot of functionality if you don't pay extra for the optional cloud recording service. Often the real-time notification and response is too slow, and the only way you know what happened is to have the video recording. It's US$30/year, so that's acually Cdn $40/year. If you're going to buy the doorbell, budget extra for the subscription. Buying the Ring doorbell without it is like buying a car without seats and saying that you don't technically need them to drive.

There are other video doorbells out there that offer no-cost recording. That would be much preferred from a cost point of view, but Ring isn't going to offer that unless competition eventually forces them to because they make a lot of their profit off the subscriptions.

The other factor to keep in mind when installing this as a permanent feature of your home is that the Ring doorbell is totally dependent on the Ring servers to operate. If Ring ever goes out of business, or abandons support like they did for their original model, you are SOL.
Paying $40/year is a lot. It's too bad there are no free alternatives.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2001
6586 posts
1750 upvotes
rural ontario
This looks interesting. I've never liked other security cameras because while its nice to see whats going on from my phone, it sucks the battery dry in no time. If I'm in the basement I don't hear the doorbell ring and I want to have my computer downstairs show the outside on a monitor (via web browser or whatever) so I can see arrivals. This appears to support desktops.
72 69 6c 6c 65 73
Banned
Jun 19, 2017
256 posts
180 upvotes
Ive been wanting to get something like this and had been looking at flood light bulbs with the camera built in but again, Same issue.. What if someone just steals it. Or... What if someone breaks in through the back door?
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11402 posts
5239 upvotes
aasoror wrote: So you are getting 20v out of the transformer ? I think they say anything between 16 and 20 should work, but various user reports about needing to get as close to 20 as possible for proper operation.
have you checked voltage at the doorbell itself to rule out bad wiring ?
19v at the doorbell. Just got off the phone with Ring and they're sending me a pro power cable, ring chime and new ring pro in case my unit is DOA. Hopefully one of the new items solves the issue.
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
clseea wrote: 19v at the doorbell. Just got off the phone with Ring and they're sending me a pro power cable, ring chime and new ring pro in case my unit is DOA. Hopefully one of the new items solves the issue.
Got to love that level of support, wonder how much the retail price was marked up to take into account such aggressive support model.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11402 posts
5239 upvotes
aasoror wrote: Got to love that level of support, wonder how much the retail price was marked up to take into account such aggressive support model.
If it's the old unit that's to blame then I need to send it back and keep the new one. You need to add a credit card to your account before they agree to send it to you so I'm not really getting anything for free... Although I could just delete my credit card... Hmmm....
Nov 20, 2005
225 posts
118 upvotes
Darn. Hoping to find a deal on the Ring 2. I don't have a line to my current doorbell so need to use the interchangeable battery powered one
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2008
4772 posts
1561 upvotes
sylvestor2002 wrote: Paying $40/year is a lot. It's too bad there are no free alternatives.
I have outdoor IP cameras that record to my NAS. Put one under the door frame pointing at the door mat. When someone rings the bell, I tell Alexa or GH to 'show who's at the door'. Through IFTTT, the TV turns on if it isn't already and my Nexus Player goes to Home screen and navigates to my Tiny Cam Pro app and launches it. It's a cheap alternative and the footage is stored on my own server
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2004
2131 posts
797 upvotes
Ottawa
I like this doorbell, but anybody worry about something happen to his door bell?

L.I.F.E. - Let It Flow Effortlessly - R. McDougal/ Isle of View
Enjoy your candle of life. May it warm you & light your way.
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
zumi78878 wrote: Price match at lowes with bestbuy for $260.98
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/rin ... 23011.aspx?

Total = 260.98 * 0.9 = $234.88 before taxes!
As pointed in the OP, its not legit PM as the product numbers are different (88lp000ch000 vs 88lp000ch200).
But if it went through, I guess no one would be complaining !
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
kanata2004 wrote: I like this doorbell, but anybody worry about something happen to his door bell?

Catching thieves on camera "full frontal view" .. :) why should anyone be worried about that .. you will make the news, thieves will be caught, stolen doorbell will be black listed, ring will send you a replacement one free of charge.
As for this particular video, I am not sure why didn't the guy talk them out of it through the doorbell, he did get the notification while it was happening he should have tuned in and talked to them.
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
This will connect to ring.com servers not to your ring doorbell.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2003
9923 posts
1665 upvotes
Totoriko wrote: I have outdoor IP cameras that record to my NAS. Put one under the door frame pointing at the door mat. When someone rings the bell, I tell Alexa or GH to 'show who's at the door'. Through IFTTT, the TV turns on if it isn't already and my Nexus Player goes to Home screen and navigates to my Tiny Cam Pro app and launches it. It's a cheap alternative and the footage is stored on my own server
That sounds pretty neat. But I don't think its easy for "noobs" like most people. Wish I could do something like what you have.
One blind human - a tragedy
Ten blind humans - a disaster
One million blind humans - a statistic
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
Is that a man or woman caught stealing? Long hair with make up but metro sexual men do apply make up too and sport long hair.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)